Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Does South Africa's crime rate vary from city to city?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does South Africa's crime rate vary from city to city?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Question Does South Africa's crime rate vary from city to city?

Hey everyone. I'm traveling to South Africa for the first time later this year. I've never been so far south in the world before. So I don't know what to expect.

Like everyone else, I'm well aware of the high crime rates in South Africa. So I want to take the proper precautions by finding out where not to step foot in.

So far I've learned that Johannesburg is the worst city for violent crime. And I've been warned that areas like Soweto and the downtown district are highly dangerous.

However, I've heard that crime isn't so bad in Cape Town, save for a few of the inland suburbs. I think coastal areas like Green Point are pretty much safe.

I don't know how dangerous other cities like Durban are. But I would imagine that Durban's crime rate shouldn't be as bad as Johannesburg's.

Is Johannesburg as unsafe and crime-ridden as people say it is?

Do Cape Town and Durban have a lot of problems with violent crime?

I was hoping if any native South Africans or any visitors to South Africa could give their input. I appreciate any helpful information.

Thank you everyone!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: CO
Thumbs up Crime in RSA

Well would you just go anywhere in any big or mid size city that you have never been in before ? Yes JoBurg has a high rate of crime as does parts of Durban. The best way to see RSA is with someone you might trust. When
I go I don't go downtown are to any of the settlements are. I go to enjoy the country and visit the game parks and places that I have learned that are most safe. Does not mean that something could happen to me.I don't go looking in places where I should not go.

Just like I don't go looking for things under the rocks when I am in a game park. You never know what might be there.

It is a great place the people are great so enjoy but be careful.

Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:39 am
Original Poster

I'm particularly interested in visiting the following South African sights-

1) Soccer City in Soweto (Johannesburg)
2) Orlando Stadium in Soweto (Johannesburg)
3) Moses Mabhida Stadium in Stamford Hill (Durban)
4) Cape Town Stadium in Green Point (Cape Town)

Are any of those specific areas safe for tourists?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Frosty1
Well would you just go anywhere in any big or mid size city that you have never been in before ?
+1

As my handle may imply, I've lived, worked and most importantly "grown up" in three very distinct places (for SA, mostly JNB and CPT). When it comes to SA, I tell people this:

You've lived/worked/etc. in [insert major city here, with it's vagaries of crime and life generally], you've survived, you know when something's "not right," you'll be in a new place, somewhat disoriented by the "newness" of it all, keep your antennae up and you'll be fine. If it doesn't feel right, it ain't ... act accordingly.

Nobody I've advised (scores, maybe a 100+, old/young, business/tourist, etc./etc.) has ever had an issue. Once, a friend had her wallet cleaned out when she left it unattended at a party in her purse. But, frankly, I think it was 3/5ths her fault and would have happened in mid-town Manhattan or the nicest K Street Bar too. That's it. Nobody abducted by aliens, nobody dragged off, they all lived to tell and most have come back . . . for a return visit to SA.

Granted they've all been tourists or visitors and haven't "lived" there on a day-to-day, getting-into-routine basis. But, I have to say that even amongst all of my friends in JNB and CPT, they may complain about some things (bureaucratic inefficiencies, the "limited" people they deal with, Eskom, whatever), they never say "we're under assault here" or "everyday we're being raped/robbed/assaulted/etc." Thinking about it. I can honestly say that the number of people I know in the US who have been jumped, robbed, burgled or have had such an attempt made against them, is (with one anomalous exception) MORE than the number of people in SA I know who have had similar happen in SA.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jericho-79
Am typing this about 300 metres from Cape Town Stadium (the residential apartments at the V&A Waterfront), and have yet to be robbed in the three weeks I've been here! There are hundreds of tourists around this area, with lots of security guards wandering around. I'm not sure I'd go visit the stadium at 3am, but during the day you'll be fine.

I notice you have a specific interest in stadiums. That's probably the only reason to visit Cape Town stadium. For those not specifically interested in stadiumology, the stadium is perhaps the least interesting tourist attraction in Cape Town!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I think you can greatly decrease the chance of running into trouble if:

- you only walk around during day time, take taxis at night
- stick to areas where shops are open etc. (e.g. I was advised not to walk through the CBD in CPT on a Sunday as it would be completely deserted)
- you´ll be perfectly fine at the tourist attractions both during the day and at night, particularly the V&A Waterfront in CPT

This advice was given to me by various people living in SA and worked perfectly fine for me. Then again, people have different comfort zones and I tend to take a more conservative approach, aka why take a chance when a taxi costs $3 to take me to wherever I want to go.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:54 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
+1

As my handle may imply, I've lived, worked and most importantly "grown up" in three very distinct places (for SA, mostly JNB and CPT). When it comes to SA, I tell people this:

You've lived/worked/etc. in [insert major city here, with it's vagaries of crime and life generally], you've survived, you know when something's "not right," you'll be in a new place, somewhat disoriented by the "newness" of it all, keep your antennae up and you'll be fine. If it doesn't feel right, it ain't ... act accordingly.

Nobody I've advised (scores, maybe a 100+, old/young, business/tourist, etc./etc.) has ever had an issue. Once, a friend had her wallet cleaned out when she left it unattended at a party in her purse. But, frankly, I think it was 3/5ths her fault and would have happened in mid-town Manhattan or the nicest K Street Bar too. That's it. Nobody abducted by aliens, nobody dragged off, they all lived to tell and most have come back . . . for a return visit to SA.

Granted they've all been tourists or visitors and haven't "lived" there on a day-to-day, getting-into-routine basis. But, I have to say that even amongst all of my friends in JNB and CPT, they may complain about some things (bureaucratic inefficiencies, the "limited" people they deal with, Eskom, whatever), they never say "we're under assault here" or "everyday we're being raped/robbed/assaulted/etc." Thinking about it. I can honestly say that the number of people I know in the US who have been jumped, robbed, burgled or have had such an attempt made against them, is (with one anomalous exception) MORE than the number of people in SA I know who have had similar happen in SA.
I think this is one of the most sensible responses I have seen an quite some time.^
I live (part time) in CPT, have lived in JNB and have visited DUR for business on many occasions and I fully agree with jsnydcsa.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, I've heard that crime isn't so bad in Cape Town
A newspaper (forgot which one) I saw in Johannesburg on Monday had a huge headline on the front page announcing that crime in Cape Town was far worse than anywhere else in the country. I was not interested enough to read the article, so can't say what figures they based that claim on. Crime statistics in SA are notoriously unreliable anyway, the only sure thing is that crime is seriously underreported.

Originally Posted by Frosty1
Just like I don't go looking for things under the rocks when I am in a game park. You never know what might be there
On the contrary, if you want to know what's lurking under the rocks, you will need to turn them over. It is not at all dangerous, I can think of a zillion things that are far riskier. Baboons do it all the time, and they are not dropping dead left and right.

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
I can honestly say that the number of people I know in the US who have been jumped, robbed, burgled or have had such an attempt made against them, is (with one anomalous exception) MORE than the number of people in SA I know who have had similar happen in SA.
No doubt, but on the other hand, I know more people who have been shot, had their skulls cracked open etc. in South Africa than in the rest of the world combined. Perhaps I just don't know enough Americans? Nevertheless, I wouldn't worry about crime in SA for a second. A modicum of common sense goes a long way, there and everywhere else. Those who absolutely must worry should be concerned about SA traffic safety, although life is so much easier and pleasant if you simply never take counsel of your fears.

Johan
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:51 am

Just be streetwise.

1.If you are renting a car, have your keys ready in your hand when you get to your car. Don't stand their digging through your purse for it.
2.Don't unlock your car until you are standing next to your car.
3. Ignore the streetkids, homeless and beggars. Yes, that sounds awful, but paying attention to one attracts the others. And I have seen unwary people being robbed by them. One kid would come up begging for money at a traffic light, and while you are paying attention to him, another one comes up to the passenger side and grabs your purse. They can be very aggressive, especially if they consider you an easy target, so roll up your windows and ignore them.
4. Don't leave valuables laying around in plain sight in your car.
5. Don't walk around with your SLR camera hanging off your neck.
6. Don't wear those Khaki vests with a million pockets unless you are on safari.

It's really all basic stuff. Most voilent crimes are on people and their property, as in violent home invasions and that sort of thing. Not somethine you worry about while stying in a hotel.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I've been just creeped out by these news stories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRg-bPdCOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgLCA2oNaPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKKap...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB4vs...eature=related
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Of course, this common sense pertains to places all over the world, whether in Athens or Zagreb.

Another I'd add - again, anywhere, particularly in tourist destinations - if you are a bit lost and want to refer to a map, go inside a shop to look at your map, rather than look lost, distracted and looking at your map on the street.

Ask locals for local information. At the San Francisco Hilton, for example, they will probably tell you it may not be a good idea to walk out of the hotel and take a left o the sidewalk at night, as you will be entering the notorious "Tenderloin" area.

Be a little careful the first 24 hours especially - you still may have jet lag and not have read "the vibe" of where you are, so you can't really judge what's out of place.

If people loitering abut call out to you ("Hey, where are you from?" or "What's your name?" are classics), it's not likely they are really interested in who you are - but they may well be setting you up for a scam or testing your street savvy. If you ignore them and they call you "racist", you can bet on it.

Jericho-79, I'll bet I can match those stories in Los Angeles, New York, Miami or nearly anywhere you like.

I didn't get to be close to a septuagenarian and travel the world on my own (usually) because I worry overly, but because I tend to be alert - which is how I foiled the last three attempted setups on me (over thre last 5-6 years): a guy following me in Bucharest, four guys setting me up for a heist in Istanbul and the two who atempted to pickpocket me on the Athens metro.

Originally Posted by CBear
Just be streetwise.

1.If you are renting a car, have your keys ready in your hand when you get to your car. Don't stand their digging through your purse for it.
2.Don't unlock your car until you are standing next to your car.
3. Ignore the streetkids, homeless and beggars. Yes, that sounds awful, but paying attention to one attracts the others. And I have seen unwary people being robbed by them. One kid would come up begging for money at a traffic light, and while you are paying attention to him, another one comes up to the passenger side and grabs your purse. They can be very aggressive, especially if they consider you an easy target, so roll up your windows and ignore them.
4. Don't leave valuables laying around in plain sight in your car.
5. Don't walk around with your SLR camera hanging off your neck.
6. Don't wear those Khaki vests with a million pockets unless you are on safari.

It's really all basic stuff. Most voilent crimes are on people and their property, as in violent home invasions and that sort of thing. Not somethine you worry about while stying in a hotel.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:54 am
Ambassador

You can do a segway tour of Moses Mabhida stadium which could be cool (and is presumably touristy).
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:27 pm

I can only speak for Cape Town as i have live their all my life and i have traveled the world extensively and feel safest in CT. Nothing bad has ever happened to me here and i like going out to explore my city. Cape Town is one off the best run administrations in South Africa , everything works in Cape Town. Cape Town has been voted by Trip Advisor users as the number one destination for 2012. Cape Town also won World Design Capital 2014. Cape Town has its poor communities like any other city so be careful in those areas otherwise enjoy yourself millions of thrills one destination Cape Town you will have so many memories in this wonderful city.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:52 am

You may like some of these pictures, taken over the last few days. From Signal Hill:

http://acunningham.org/photos/2012/01/29/dsc_6815.jpg
http://acunningham.org/photos/2012/01/29/dsc_6816.jpg

From a helicopter:

http://acunningham.org/photos/2012/01/31/dsc_6826.jpg
http://acunningham.org/photos/2012/01/31/dsc_6827.jpg
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:24 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by CBear
Just be streetwise.

It indeed sounds awful for those who dont know some of the background:

Begging, especialy at traffic lights ('robots' in South African English and in Afrikaans), has turned into an industry.
Kids are 'managed' by adults to beg (think of Fagin and his boys in Dickens' 'Oliver Twist', although in that case it was pickpocketing), as unsuspecting motorists are more likely to give to a sorry looking kid than to an adult.
When I was still working in one of Cape Town's suburbs, I once spoke with a lady whom I saw daily begging at the same traffic light. She would carry a seasonally changing placard, informing you of her hardships and pressing upon you the need for donations. She was always very friendly and when, one day, I asked a few penetrating questions she voluntereered (with a smile) that she was regularly offered jobs, but that she got a good income from begging for a few hours, more than she would get for cleaning houses or offices all day!

So dont be fooled: there is a lot of abject poverty around in South Africa, but feeding the begging habit is not the way to help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.