Search

Kenya/Uganda charter flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:32 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Kenya/Uganda charter flights

I'm putting together a group trip to western Kenya and Uganda (medical NGO types, but self-paying) for early October and need to get everybody (probably 6-9 souls) from Kisumu in western Kenya to Kampala.

Rather than routing via NBO I'm wondering if anyone knows of a safe and reliable charter operator in the KIS/EBB area that they could recommend. It seems like a 160 mi. trip in a Caravan or some such over the lake will be preferable to an all-day schlep via NBO, and certainly preferable to a hired van or the bus.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Personally I would just drive. It's only 300km which takes roughly 4 hours. And if it is for 6-9 people, just hire out a Matatu with driver for a half day. Work it out with a driver who does this regularly to avoid any problems at the border. You might end up switching to another matatu on the Uganda side. Whichever is cheaper I guess. But you can of course take a private car across.

Also, in a car or private matatu, you can stop at any interesting village along the way.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Hi. There are no charter operators based in Kisumu, so a plane would have to either come from EBB to KIS (so you pay for both legs), or from NBO so you will pay NBO KIS EBB NBO. Either option is pretty pricey.

If you take Kenya Airways from Kisumu, you can leave KIS at 9:50 am and be in EBB by 2:00 pm, or leave Kisumu at 6:30 pm and be in EBB by 11:20 pm.

Let us know what you decide

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.