Search

New Year´s Eve in South Africa?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
New Year´s Eve in South Africa?

I was just wondering: Is there anything "special" going on in South Africa, especially Cape Town?

Are there any big fireworks? If so, which hotel / part of the city would be the best place to see them?

Thank´s in advance!
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Fireworks in Cape Town are at the V&A Waterfront. They will be visible from anywhere in the Waterfront, most of Green Point (especially the upper parts), Mouille Point and the Foreshore. The hotels at the Waterfront (Cape Grace, Table Bay etc. should all have vantage points. So would the Westin Grand and especially the club lounge which is used as a restaurant at night - but I suspect the price for dinner on NYE will be the usual outrageous rip-off that it usually is in ZA.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
There's a large yacht on the waterfront that held what looked like quite a fun party last NYE.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:37 am

Spirit of Victoria?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:39 am

Isn't there the Minstrel Festival / Parade or something? It used to go by another less-PC name.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:35 pm

It was commonly known as the "Coon Carnival" in the benighted time of my youth. These days it's locally often called "die klopse" or the "die Kaapse klopse".

It still happens every year. But unlike in the past when we had a special holiday in the Cape on 2 January, of which this parade was the highlight, these days it takes place on some suitable day around new year.

Personally it has never appealed. But many others find it a charming manifestation of local colour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.