Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Yellow Fever Vaccination for South America or Africa
Please edit this wikipost as necessary

Some countries or areas may require proof of vaccination - alternately, a certificate from a physician stating YFV is contraindicated for a patient - to enter YF areas, or in cases where travelers have visited Yellow Fever areas, generally in Africa or South America. "Travelers who arrive in a country with a yellow fever vaccination entry requirement without proof of yellow fever vaccination may be quarantined for up to 6 days, refused entry, or vaccinated on site." ((USCDC)

The US Center's for Disease Control and Prevention (Nov 2015):

Yellow fever vaccine is a live-virus vaccine which has been used for several decades. A single dose protects against disease for 10 years or more. If a person is at continued risk of infection, a booster dose is recommended every 10 years. See this page for caveats, etc.

As well, note:

Vaccine Administration

For all eligible people, a single injection of reconstituted vaccine should be administered subcutaneously. Revaccination has been required by certain countries at 10-year intervals to comply with International Health Regulations (IHR) of the World Health Organization (WHO).

Note: In February 2015, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) approved a new recommendation that a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and is adequate for most travelers. The updated recommendations also identify specific groups of travelers who should receive additional doses and others for whom additional doses may be considered. The official ACIP recommendations were published on June 19, 2015 (see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6423a5.htm). All current ACIP yellow fever vaccine recommendations can be found on the ACIP website at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/acip-recs/index.html.

Although ACIP no longer recommends booster doses of yellow fever vaccine for most travelers, clinicians and travelers should review the entry requirements for destination countries because changes to the International Health Regulations (IHR) have not yet been fully implemented. In 2014, the World Health Organization adopted the recommendation to remove the 10-year booster dose requirement from the IHR as of June 2016. Once this change is instituted, a completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis will be valid for the lifetime of the vaccinee. Some countries have already adopted this change, which is noted under the yellow fever vaccine requirements on each country’s destination page. However, it is uncertain when and if all countries with yellow fever vaccination requirements will adopt this change. (Updated August 26, 2015)
See the CDC Traveler Health page here for much more detailed and important information.

The proof of vaccine must generally be from an authorized vaccination center, and is generally in the form of a "international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis" standard proof of vaccination.

ICVP Form

Also see the Australia Department of Health page here

Also see the Canada Government page here

Also see the UK NHS "fitfortravel" page here

Updated 6 November 2015
Print Wikipost

Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:53 pm

Far better to comply with the official requirements than hope you have a lazy immigration officer or airline check-in agent.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
In all of my border crossings where they check the Yellow Fever card, I've only once noticed that they were checking dates (Kenya @ NBO). As always, your mileage may vary, but there's a good chance that if you have the card and it's not officially effective yet then you'll be allowed to pass. Having said that, there's always the small chance that they'll put you back on the plane to where you just came from but it's not the outcome I'd expect.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Hey_You
I just had my Yellow Fever Vaccination, but the certificate of
vaccination is only valid 10 days after. I am flying to South
Africa before the validity starts, & my transit is more than
12 hours in Addis Ababa. Will I have issues?
Does the certificate indicate when the vaccination was administered? That would seem a reasonable basis on which to argue your case even if you do get a very thorough official.

Also, is it not possible to get the issuer to correct their mistake?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: AC*SE, IHG Platinum, Hyatt, SPG, FlyingBlueS
Originally Posted by Hey_You
I just had my Yellow Fever Vaccination, but the certificate of
vaccination is only valid 10 days after. I am flying to South
Africa before the validity starts, & my transit is more than
12 hours in Addis Ababa. Will I have issues?
It has been a while since I flew ADD to JNB, but I do not remember anyone checking my Yellow Fever card in ADD, but then again, I was in transit. I would say the health inspection in JNB are the ones who really make a fuss, but they do this for a few flights from "high risk" areas, and I am not sure Ethiopia is considered one of those. More often than not checking in JNB is based on where you travels originated, so if you were from outside Africa, they will lily not ask for it. Sorry, there is no straight answer to your question, but as others have posted, they may only be interested in the page having a vaccination stamp, and not really the date. All the best, and do keep us posted.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:11 pm

Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa (consolidated)

The people who will really make a fuss are the airlines. Just like with the two full pages in passport entry requirement, the yellow fever requirement from certain countries is the same. that while SA front line immigration doesn't care about either requirement, the airline is not going to take any chances in getting a fine from SA. I have seen people get denied boarding for both reasons by SAA, ET and other check in agents in various airports.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by industry_killer
The people who will really make a fuss are the airlines. Just like with the two full pages in passport entry requirement, the yellow fever requirement from certain countries is the same. that while SA front line immigration doesn't care about either requirement, the airline is not going to take any chances in getting a fine from SA. I have seen people get denied boarding for both reasons by SAA, ET and other check in agents in various airports.
In my experience and that of many colleagues who travel regularly between NBO and JNB, I don't think this is true. I don't believe it is the airlines responsibility to check and the airlines never ever ask for the YF card IME. But the JNB immigration officials sometimes do. And if you do not have the card, they do not fine the airline. They simply require you to get a shot there at the airport which could take a fair amount of your time and maybe some money.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:08 pm

Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa (consolidated)

I have personally seen it happen at YYZ (ET) and GRU (SA), and how do you know they do not fine the airline? Having had to respond, as an airline rep, to these fines I don't know how a passenger would ever find out if the airline had been fined. It is not as if the fine can be kicked back to the pax it is the airlines fault for letting the pax travel.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by industry_killer
I have personally seen it happen at YYZ (ET) and GRU (SA), and how do you know they do not fine the airline? Having had to respond, as an airline rep, to these fines I don't know how a passenger would ever find out if the airline had been fined. It is not as if the fine can be kicked back to the pax it is the airlines fault for letting the pax travel.
It's quite simple to know that there is no fine to the airline. If there were, the airlines would ask to see our YF card. But they don't of course. About 20 million passengers per year fly into JNB and the airlines don't ask. Think about it.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a YF vaccination 4 years ago but last year I lost my vaccination card. I contacted the hospital where I received the vaccination and they can fax me a record of the vaccination. Is that sufficient proof or do I need a vaccination card?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
I had a YF vaccination 4 years ago but last year I lost my vaccination card. I contacted the hospital where I received the vaccination and they can fax me a record of the vaccination. Is that sufficient proof or do I need a vaccination card?
Given the fastidious nature of certain government workers, I would say no. It might not be sufficient.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: AA, onePass
I've read just about everything I could but am still confused....

Traveled to Quito, Ecuador and Galapagos only last year from and to the US.

From what I have read YFV was/is not recommended for travel to those specific areas. We did not get YFV.

Next year looking to travel to South Africa. Will this be a problem on entry at JNB from US if we have Ecuador stamp from last year in our US passport. We will not be arriving from a YF areas do since we did not need YFV for Ecuador we not have certificate.

Thank you all for your patience and wisdom
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:36 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by stimpy
In my experience and that of many colleagues who travel regularly between NBO and JNB, I don't think this is true. I don't believe it is the airlines responsibility to check and the airlines never ever ask for the YF card IME. But the JNB immigration officials sometimes do. And if you do not have the card, they do not fine the airline. They simply require you to get a shot there at the airport which could take a fair amount of your time and maybe some money.
The cost for that is R200 at the JNB travel clinic. I rather stupidly forgot my yellow fever certificate last week going into Angola!
Whatever you do, don't get the jab in Angola...
Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
bump

Originally Posted by nalismom
Traveled to Ecuador only last year from and to the US...

...Next year looking to travel to South Africa. Will this be a problem on entry at JNB from US if we have Ecuador stamp from last year in our US passport.
I'm in a similar situation. Traveled from USA to Argentina and back in November. Going from USA to South Africa and Namibia in May. Have Argentina entry and exit stamps in my passport.

Argentina (and Ecuador) are WHO-designated yellow fever zones subject to yellow fever vaccination card requirements for SA and Namibia. The rules on both embassy's website talk about "traveling from a WHO-designated yellow fever country."

So our question is: Do the intervening months in the USA mean we are no longer "traveling from"?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Beano HK
The cost for that is R200 at the JNB travel clinic. I rather stupidly forgot my yellow fever certificate last week going into Angola!
Whatever you do, don't get the jab in Angola...
Some airport officials e.g.KIA(Accra) will also look for the manufacturer and batch no.of vaccine or prophylaxis on the card. So avoid "buying" yellow fever certificates from "helpers" at MMA in Lagos otherwise you will get the jab before entry into Ghana.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty serious outbreak of Yellow Fever in Angola. 225 fatalities so far, apparently. Not sure how reliable that figure is.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.