Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Best Location in Africa for a First Time Visitor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Good Evening All -

I'm planning a round the world award using miles and am certain of two things: 1. I'm stopping in Australia, 2. I'm stopping in Africa.

I've been to every other continent, but these two have eluded me. The Australia portion of the award is pretty much set, I know what I want to do and what I want to see. The Africa portion is much more open and I'd like some advice.

At first I thought I wanted to head to South Africa, but from the threads I've heard that the chance of getting mugged/robbed is higher then I might feel comfortable with, and that I'd most likely need to rent a car for the time I'm there. Two big minuses in my book. I'd prefer to be able to get around on foot, with a cheap driver for the day, or on public transportation.

I've considered Egypt or Morocco, but don't know much about how easy they are to navigate, or their safety.

So what are your thoughts and recommdations? What's a good place to experience a country in Africa for the first time. I'm open to anything: north, west, south, east - anything. I just want to get my toe in the water before being more daring on my return visit.

Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
While there is a high rate of urban crime in South Africa, there are plenty of places you can go without much risk. If you base yourself around Cape Town, you could stay in relatively close-in suburbs without a car and get to major local sites via public transit. You can also go along the coast fairly easily and safely by bus.

If all you want to do is say you've been to Africa, then perhaps you should go to Malawi, which is very low-key, though there isn't a lot in the way of actual tourist attractions there.

West Africa is a completely different experience from southern or eastern Africa. Public transit is a weak point, but one can hire a car or driver. Assuming English is your primary language, Ghana is a particularly good choice, with a lot to see and friendly people.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's almost like asking, I've never been to Asia, where should I go? Africa is so different. I love South Africa (and I do like renting cars). You can get mugged anywhere (well, almost), so I'd suggest you use the same care you would in, say, Memphis, TN.

Egypt has all the Egyptian stuff, plus the Red Sea. Tunisia has great Roman ruins (as does Libya if you can get in). Animals, animals in East Africa: Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda. I've not been to west Africa nor Morocco.

South Africa has great landscapes in Cape Town plus animals. The food in Cape Town is wonderful. If it were up to me and I was going to only one place in Africa, it would be South Africa: Cape Town and Kruger Park. On the other hand, it might be Egypt: Cairo, Luxor, Alexandria and Sharm.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:03 am

Two words
Cape
Town
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:01 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Well, a little more information would be a good thing.

First, season? Cape Town is grand, but less grand in the southern winter. On the other hand, wildlife viewing in the north of the country is arguably better as it's the dry season, no bugs, and the foliage doesn't get in the way. In the southern summer, Cape Town is lovely, but the north can be hot, humid, buggy and wet.

Second, do you mind flying internally? For example (and assuming it's a oneworld award) BA/Comair now fly to Nelspruit (MQP) - the gateway to the Kruger park complex in the north. If you wanted to include a couple of days' safari as part of the trip, you could fly into JNB, fly up to MQP from which most lodges can arrange transfers, spend a couple of days at a game lodge, then back to MQP and down to Cape Town, from which you can fly to London (or elsewhere via JNB.)

The combination of a safari and Cape Town would be a tremendous "crash course" in southern Africa.

Meant to add, if it is indeed reliant on oneworld carriers, note that the only connections from Asia or Australia to Africa are to JNB; all other destinations require transiting Europe (London or Madrid) en route. If it's a mileage-based award (assuming so) then watch your mileage totals carefully when planning award visits to Africa.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback all! I appreciate it.

To provide some of my own feedback to address some of your questions:

I'm looking to go in late June/early July of 2011, so seasonally I'm guessing this is southern winter and perhaps not the best time to visit Cape Town. But, it seems the general push from the advice I see is that Cape Town is the recommendation. Hmmmm....

I know that Africa has a large variety of cultures, just like Asia. I've traveled pretty extensively in Asia (China, Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan, India, etc) so am pretty familiar with what a large landmass can bring in terms of variety. But I'm looking to branch out a bit.

Also, I am using a oneworld award to do all this. I've got over 300K in the bank for the trip so I don't think distance is too much of an issue. I can pretty much do it all in first or business, and could do it twice in economy. With that in mind though, my locations in Africa are limited to wherever BA/IB fly (looking to take QF or CX out of Africa, but take BA into Africa).

I've pretty much narrowed it down to Cape Town, Cairo, Accra, or Dar es Salaam (Stone Town). Possibly Morocco but I don't think BA flies there, I'd have to take IB which I'm not too big a fan of.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
A few comments for your consideration:

Egypt, Morocco etc. may be geographically Africa, they are culturally Arab, so while cool and all, they may not represent an authentic African stop. Cairo is trully chaotic and the pyramids etc. disappoint some, while others fall for it.

West Africa is not really for beginners. In fact, for the most part, Africa is not for beginners. However, for the savvy traveller, there should be no problems. Watch out for rainy season though -the time period you mention puts you there. Ghana is a nice choice and Sierra Leone is ok too. If Nigeria is calling you, don't let it.

East Africa I've not visited, but it certainly is filled with big animals. It is considered by some to be safer than west Africa. I don't know if that's a fair assessment.

South Africa is westernised to a good extent and makes a comfortable base to step out and see Africa. As you've said you just want to dip your toe this time - I'd go for Capetown also.

If not - Accra. ^
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Sahcurity
Thanks for all the feedback all! I appreciate it.
I'm looking to go in late June/early July of 2011, so seasonally I'm guessing this is southern winter and perhaps not the best time to visit Cape Town. But, it seems the general push from the advice I see is that Cape Town is the recommendation. Hmmmm....
Sorry to be so simplistic in my earlier message. My experience is entirely with Southern Africa. My fave all around is Cape Town and surrounds.

That said, June/early July 2011 is the southern winter (or at least getting into it) and I agree it is perhaps not the best time to visit. My only visit to CPT in July was about 7-8 years ago and it was pretty cold and rainy. Watch the World Cup matches in CPT to see what its like.

CPT also provides a good base in my opinion for a lot of other things. Wine tasting - check. Food and dining - check. Sports and outdoor activities - check (Garden Route). Game farms and reserves - yup. Beaches - yup (you'd be crazy to swim in July, in my opinion).
Old Jun 18, 2010, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Sorry to be so simplistic in my earlier message. My experience is entirely with Southern Africa. My fave all around is Cape Town and surrounds.

That said, June/early July 2011 is the southern winter (or at least getting into it) and I agree it is perhaps not the best time to visit. My only visit to CPT in July was about 7-8 years ago and it was pretty cold and rainy. Watch the World Cup matches in CPT to see what its like.

CPT also provides a good base in my opinion for a lot of other things. Wine tasting - check. Food and dining - check. Sports and outdoor activities - check (Garden Route). Game farms and reserves - yup. Beaches - yup (you'd be crazy to swim in July, in my opinion).
Conversely, I suppose July in Egypt, Morocco, or Ghana wouldn't be all to pleasant either! This is complicating my search, and I thought it would help narrow it! haha
Old Jun 18, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I've only ever been to Kenya and absolutely fell in love with it. I flew on a J award on BA. I took a 7 day safari with suntrek safaris and would recommend them. They can design a safari of any length of time for you.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:28 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I really do think a two-location visit to S. Africa is what the doctor ordered, given your stated interests and the time of year. Cape Town is a natural. So what if it's chilly or rainy for a couple of days? Would you turn down a trip to San Francisco because it's foggy? Cape Town's climate reminds me very much of the Bay Area's - it can go from sunny to foggy to wet and back to sunny between ordering lunch and getting the bill. If you can see the top of Table Mountain, run immediately to the cable car and go up. If the "Cape Doctor" is blowing (although that's the wrong time of year) hustle up to the top of the Bo-Kapp quarter (Malay neighborhood - incredibly colorful) and gawk at the view of the city below. (Eat a meal at the Noon Gun Cafe - dyno-mite Malay food.)

Visit the District 6 museum, rain or shine, and marvel at how far the country has come from the bad old days, and how fast. Robben Island is a moving experience not to be missed; if you have to gulp some Dramamine or crystallized ginger to keep from getting seasick, so be it - it's worth it. Settle your stomach with a filled pancake at Harrie's at the V & A right by the Robben Island ferry dock. Take a day trip down to Boulders Beach in Simon's Town - the penguins will love it if you do. Take a township tour of Khayelitsha, hike all the way to the top of Kirstenbosch Gardens, even if it's not sunny. All fantastic experiences.

Then - hop a plane or two and go up to Kruger Park and see the animals. Or, if you want to combine some excellent wildlife viewing and get a pretty interesting insight into traditional cultures in the 21st century, hop on Federal Air from JNB airport (or drive - it's really not hard) out to the Buffalo Ridge lodge in the Madikwe game reserve near the Botswana border (lights of Gaborone in the distance.) The lodge is owned by the local community, and you'll get a fascinating picture of eco-tourism, progress in local self-sufficiency, and how traditions are being maintained, while getting ten feet from rhinos or lions in the meantime.

I promise you will be itching for more.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sahcurity
I suppose July in Egypt, Morocco, or Ghana wouldn't be all to pleasant either!
Ghana is close enough to the equator that there really is no discernable seasonal variation in weather. It gets very marginally cooler in December/January due to the Harmattan but thats about it.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I've been to Tunisia, Sudan, Uganda, Rwanda, and D.R. Congo. (and the Seychelles if you consider that to be Africa).

Uganda and Rwanda would be a good choice (7hrs by bus from Kampala to Kigali). Kigali is very clean and nice, but there is more to do in Kampala and Uganda in general. If you were going in Dec, I would suggest Sudan as it is simply amazing, but not in high summer.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
I haven't been to CPT yet, and so can't comment. But you mentioned Dar es Salaam, and the weather is great here at this time of year, and Zanzibar (including Stone Town and teh beaches) is a quick ferry ride or quicker flight away. There are also a number of parks all over the country for game viewing.

Enjoy your trip, wherever it is that you end up going!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
A few comments for your consideration:
West Africa is not really for beginners. In fact, for the most part, Africa is not for beginners. However, for the savvy traveller, there should be no problems. Watch out for rainy season though -the time period you mention puts you there. Ghana is a nice choice and Sierra Leone is ok too. If Nigeria is calling you, don't let it.
^
ok i'll bite. why not? i've only been there once but there seemed to be plenty, welll, enough anyway tourists milling about...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.