Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Guide to JNB (Oliver R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa)

Welcome to the guide to JNB.

If your have any further questions that have not been answered after reading through, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bear in mind that the minimum connection times given below are the shortest connections allowed for tickets on a single PNR. It would be advisable to leave more time than this, particularly if you are arriving during the busy morning period. If you are travelling on two separate PNRs, add on at least an extra hour to the MCTs to allow for whatever delays the Travel Gods may throw at you.

Do note that procedures can change so this guide may not be accurate. If you notice anything has changed or there are any errors, just let me know.

International-Domestic Connection

Minimum connection time: 90 minutes

Once you have deplaned, simply follow the crowd to the immigration hall.
After going through passport control, you will need to collect your luggage and pass through customs irrespective of whether your bags have been tagged through to your final destination.
Exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left. The escalator can take trolleys.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your destination and you have your boarding passes for the onward domestic flight, you can use fast bag drop.
Otherwise you will need to check-in as normal.
Alternatively, you can use the baggage re-check desks on the left before exiting to the public area (NOTE : These are permanently closed now - Oct 2022).
If you would prefer to avoid the porters and taxi touts in the arrivals halls, there are escalators to the left of these desks which will take you to level 1. From there you will need to go up one more level to reach domestic departures. (NOTE : These escalators are out of service now - Oct 2022).

The domestic terminal is designated as a separate terminal (Terminal B) but do not be confused by this. All the terminals at JNB are under one roof so you barely notice that you are transferring between them.

Domestic-International Connection

If you can interline baggage, you can check it through from your initial departure point to your international destination. Once you land at JNB walk out to exit (ignore signs to go downstairs to baggage reclaim), keep walking through the shops/past the food court, around the atrium and there is a security/emigration point on your front right.

Please see post #106 for an illustrated guide.
[although there is no need to go up the moving walkway and then back down again - just come out of the domestic exit and keep walking straight on that level, which will bring you to the security/emigration point]

International-International Connection

Minimum connection time: 60 minutes

This is where things become a little more tricky.

If you arrive at a jetway, you will see a corridor heading towards International Transfers on the left just before the escalators down to passport control.
If you arrive at a remote stand and are bussed to the terminal, you will see the escalators on the left heading up to International Transfers as you enter the building.
Both these paths are well signposted and there is usually a staff member shouting out "International transit" and waving a sign to direct passengers.
When you go down the corridor, there is a transit immigration point before the transfer desks. Typically the wait here is 1-3 minutes, very much quicker than 'normal' immigration.
Your passport will be stamped with a "TRANSIT" stamp here even though you do not enter the country, and you must ensure that you have the required blank pages otherwise you may not be permitted to continue your transit and instead sent back to your originating point.

A few meters beyond the immigration checkpoint is the main transit information area which have desks for all the international airlines and handling agents.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your final destination, ensure that you give your connecting airline the tag numbers at this time so that they can verify them in their system.
If the tag numbers are not re-verified, they will not be loaded without manual intervention. This is not required if connecting from SAA to SAA flights however.

If your bags have not been tagged through, you will need to find a member of staff in International Transfers from your arriving airline.
Ask them to get one of their baggage services staff to pull your bags off the belt manually and coordinate with staff from your onward airline to retag them to your final destination.

This is a rather convoluted process and can take a long time.

Therefore, if your bags cannot be tagged all the way through, it is advisable to pass through immigration, collect your bags at baggage reclaim and clear customs.
After you clear customs but before you exit to the public area (the exit is a set of sliding doors on your right), you will see a series of baggage re-check desks on your left.
Proceed to these desks since they often have smaller queues and have your bags re-tagged.
Then head up the escalators to your left (do not exit the main doors into the public area) which emerge on the departures level.
Turn right when facing the Vodacom store and the departures security checkpoint is right in front of you.

You can do the entire transit and enter/exit South Africa in less than 5 minutes if your bags come out quickly.

If time permits, the safest option is to clear customs and re-check your bags as described above rather than rely on the interlining system at JNB.

Have a look at post #9 of this thread for pictures.

Originally posted by Ambassador BA304.

Luggage storage

This is taken from the whyjoburg.com web site (April 2016):

BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (11) 390 2689
http://www.a-teck.co.za/or-tambo-airport-store-teck/
Print Wikipost

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by womble.travels
For a flight arrival into JNB at 0915 (BA), would a 2h15m self transfer be possible to catch an onward Airlink flight to LUN departing at 1130? would be flying business on BA and with luggage so requires re checking. This is for late Oct.

Upon exit from baggage reclaim are there Airlink desks there where would I be able to drop off luggage or would I have to go all the way up to the main check in desks?

As far as I am aware BA and Airlink don't interline? So no chance of them checking through the baggage or similar

Thanks
If all the stars align then should be very doable, however when we flew BA 57 (Jul 16) the previous 7 days flight data was not encouraging, late every day, and on one day 2-3 hours late. We were fortunate that it arrived a little early that day. So if you're lucky and it's on time, even if you have to trek to Terminal B to checkin (not sure about Airlink, we connected to Proflight) you should be fine. We even had time for some food (our P0 departure was at 12.00).

EDIT: I should probably add, we were in Club so off the plane quickly, immigration was quiet, bags arrived promptly and ours were in the first load, and we ended up with plenty of time to spare and were at the gate ahead of boarding time. We had originally booked the earlier JNB flight when both were available since we preferred to have more time but that was cancelled and BA57 which had earlier been removed from sale was reinstated.

Last edited by SimonAB; Aug 8, 2022 at 5:23 am Reason: typo and extended reply
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by omsflyer
Flying into JNB on LX on 2 June 23 -3 people, wife and granddaughter. Attempting to book 1 room for 3 of us but IHG keeps saying sold out. Do they allow 2adults and 13 year old
child to stay in 1 room? Really do not want to go outside JNB unless absolutely necessary - had real scary incident last time through. Any help would be appreciated.
If you wish to spend the night in/around the airport, look at the City Lodge. It is about 100 m immediately west of the IHG property (attached to the parking structure). We've stayed there and found the place clean and functional. It is not as nice as the IHG but we would stay there again if needed. You can get interconnecting rooms if you want for you and your family and there are rates that include a breakfast buffet. The cost is well below half of the Intercontinental. And you can walk from the hotel to the terminal inside the parking structure.

You can easily do an Uber to the Emperors Palace directly from the hotel for an evening meal and walk around to get the children out of the hotel if you want. This is very close the the airport and their security is excellent.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold Elite, IHG Gold,
Originally Posted by SimonAB
If all the stars align then should be very doable, however when we flew BA 57 (Jul 16) the previous 7 days flight data was not encouraging, late every day, and on one day 2-3 hours late. We were fortunate that it arrived a little early that day. So if you're lucky and it's on time, even if you have to trek to Terminal B to checkin (not sure about Airlink, we connected to Proflight) you should be fine. We even had time for some food (our P0 departure was at 12.00).

EDIT: I should probably add, we were in Club so off the plane quickly, immigration was quiet, bags arrived promptly and ours were in the first load, and we ended up with plenty of time to spare and were at the gate ahead of boarding time. We had originally booked the earlier JNB flight when both were available since we preferred to have more time but that was cancelled and BA57 which had earlier been removed from sale was reinstated.
Many thanks Simon, most helpful. Plan has changed slightly and will be flying onto elsewhere and the departure time for that is 1220 so with a 0915 arrival hopefully more than sufficient enough time to transfer.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: LX SEN
We get into JNB on LH at 8:30am and then connect on separate tickets to WDH with Airlink. We have 2h20min connection time.
I see 2 options for the bags:
1) Check all the way to WDH relying on the interline system in JNB
2) Collect bag and recheck after immigration

what would you recommend these days? Does airlink operate a recheck desk after we collect the bags?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:39 am

BA international flight connecting to SAA domestic transfer time ?

We fly from London to Jo'burg and then on to Durban in a couple of weeks. We have been moved by BA onto a SAA flight due to the demise of Comair.
The new connection time is just under 3 hours. Arrival in Jo'burg shortly after 0700 if on time, onwards flight 1000.
I wondered if anyone had recently done an international flight to domestic transfer and how immigration was now that all
covid restrictions have gone. Presumably numbers are up but is the process quicker?
We are booked through by BA on one code but I know that we have to collect baggage, clear immigration and customs and then go to bag drop.
Do SAA actually have a bag drop that's operating currently ?
Any recent experience would be good to know as if it looks unlikely we'll make that flight I have to cancel onward plans.
Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium
Looking for some insight into this new area/airport; thanks in advance. Our small group of 6 need to get from Durban to J'burg on a Tuesday in October. We all have a AirFrance overnight flight out of JNB at 18:50 to CDG and I was wondering

(1) which airline flying this route is pretty reliable, I was thinking about FlySafair (but depending on answers below)
(2) would any airline options allow us to just check luggage at Durban for our final destinations in Spain and the States,
(3) if we need to pick up luggage and re-check it, what is a reasonable arrival time in JNB for the 6:50 departure. One of use will have a wheelchair so we are not going anywhere fast but should have access to any AF lounge once at JNB.

Last edited by RhinoDL; Aug 21, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by the mummy
We fly from London to Jo'burg and then on to Durban in a couple of weeks. We have been moved by BA onto a SAA flight due to the demise of Comair.
The new connection time is just under 3 hours. Arrival in Jo'burg shortly after 0700 if on time, onwards flight 1000.
I wondered if anyone had recently done an international flight to domestic transfer and how immigration was now that all
covid restrictions have gone. Presumably numbers are up but is the process quicker?
We are booked through by BA on one code but I know that we have to collect baggage, clear immigration and customs and then go to bag drop.
Do SAA actually have a bag drop that's operating currently ?
Any recent experience would be good to know as if it looks unlikely we'll make that flight I have to cancel onward plans.
Thank you in advance.
should be enough time between intl and domestic, have done 1.5hrs previously
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by RhinoDL
Looking for some insight into this new area/airport; thanks in advance. Our small group of 6 need to get from Durban to J'burg on a Tuesday in October. We all have a AirFrance overnight flight out of JNB at 16:50 to CDG and I was wondering

(1) which airline flying this route is pretty reliable, I was thinking about FlySafair (but depending on answers below)
(2) would any airline options allow us to just check luggage at Durban for our final destinations in Spain and the States,
(3) if we need to pick up luggage and re-check it, what is a reasonable arrival time in JNB for the 6:50 departure. One of use will have a wheelchair so we are not going anywhere fast but should have access to any AF lounge once at JNB.
I think you mean 1850? AF don't have flights departing at 1650. Allow for a couple hours 2 - 3 should be sufficient for comfortable transit. You can ask but no guarantee of knowing in advance re baggage especially since none are alliance partners. It appears that AF does sell tickets for Durban - CDG with SAA flights on the internal so you could book with them and hopefully they may allow you to check through the baggage from Durban.
RhinoDL likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by RhinoDL
Looking for some insight into this new area/airport; thanks in advance. Our small group of 6 need to get from Durban to J'burg on a Tuesday in October. We all have a AirFrance overnight flight out of JNB at 18:50 to CDG and I was wondering
For reliability, either Airlink or flySafair are your choice - they both consistently deliver superlative performance in this respect - like in the range of 96-97% on-time performance.

Safair is a low cost carrier so you will pay for everything from bags to snacks to seat assignments. Airlink is a full service carrier so everything is included (and also offers Business Class).

Airlink is an interline partner of Air France so you are more likely to be able to through-check luggage if you fly with them, although not guaranteed on separate PNRs. Definitely no through check on Safair flights if on a separate PNR. You can also earn United miles for flights on Airlink.

For an 1850 departure, I'd be very confident with a flight arriving at 1630 or earlier if flying either Airlink or Safair. Less so if flying with SAA or Cemair.
RhinoDL likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:17 am

Hello wobble.travels Thank you for your reply to me. I just saw on your reply to RhinoDL you suggest booking a SAA flight for connection to AF so can book the luggage right through from Durban. Can I just check that on arrival in SA luggage must clear customs at the point of entry, so we have to retrieve our luggage on arrival in Jo'burg and then drop it again for the domestic SAA flight? Regardless of whether BA have checked it through to Durban or not? So the through checking of luggage is only a possibility on leaving SA not for international arrivals? I think that's correct but just want to be sure. Thank you so much for your help.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:19 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
showers in domestic lounges?

Anyone able to update on the latest/current situation with showers in domestic lounges? SAA were closed as of June, but are either Bidvest or Slow showers operational? And can either be accessed with $? I checked with the IC and they're still allowing use of their spa but a) it's a bit of a detour and I'll be tight for time and b) the price has doubled to ZAR500 and I'm a bit tight for money too

@TheMummy - yes exactly, through checking possible on departure from SA, but on arrival you need to retrieve/recheck luggage for domestic add-ons
Old Aug 30, 2022, 5:00 am

I’d be interested as well In the situation re:domestic showers. We arrive at 3:30pm and have a connecting domestic flight at 8:30pm, so 5hrs to kill. Looking for a shower but apparently can only access lounges for the 2 hrs prior to flight? Would rather have a shower after landing than waiting. IC is a possibility I guess but it is a bit pricey for a shower! Do you need to book this or just turn up?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by the mummy
Hello wobble.travels Thank you for your reply to me. I just saw on your reply to RhinoDL you suggest booking a SAA flight for connection to AF so can book the luggage right through from Durban. Can I just check that on arrival in SA luggage must clear customs at the point of entry, so we have to retrieve our luggage on arrival in Jo'burg and then drop it again for the domestic SAA flight? Regardless of whether BA have checked it through to Durban or not? So the through checking of luggage is only a possibility on leaving SA not for international arrivals? I think that's correct but just want to be sure. Thank you so much for your help.
yes that's correct, all international arrivals must clear customs at arrival port and then recheck for onward domestic flight. On return however airlines can check through if connecting via JNB so don't need to pick up and recheck.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:30 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by womble.travels
yes that's correct, all international arrivals must clear customs at arrival port and then recheck for onward domestic flight. On return however airlines can check through if connecting via JNB so don't need to pick up and recheck.
I would just like to add (as advice) that you should have your bags ‘plastic wrapped’ at the airport of departure. Unless it has changed, JNB is infamous for luggage tampering and especially luggage which sits between flights in the catacombs of the airport is at danger.
Arriving at JNB has never been a problem for me, but leaving…. Oh boy!
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by thijsseh
I would just like to add (as advice) that you should have your bags ‘plastic wrapped’ at the airport of departure. Unless it has changed, JNB is infamous for luggage tampering and especially luggage which sits between flights in the catacombs of the airport is at danger.
Arriving at JNB has never been a problem for me, but leaving…. Oh boy!
A hard shell case with two combination locks not good enough? Do they actually go into locked luggage or just unlocked/easy targets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.