Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Guide to JNB (Oliver R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa)

Welcome to the guide to JNB.

If your have any further questions that have not been answered after reading through, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bear in mind that the minimum connection times given below are the shortest connections allowed for tickets on a single PNR. It would be advisable to leave more time than this, particularly if you are arriving during the busy morning period. If you are travelling on two separate PNRs, add on at least an extra hour to the MCTs to allow for whatever delays the Travel Gods may throw at you.

Do note that procedures can change so this guide may not be accurate. If you notice anything has changed or there are any errors, just let me know.

International-Domestic Connection

Minimum connection time: 90 minutes

Once you have deplaned, simply follow the crowd to the immigration hall.
After going through passport control, you will need to collect your luggage and pass through customs irrespective of whether your bags have been tagged through to your final destination.
Exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left. The escalator can take trolleys.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your destination and you have your boarding passes for the onward domestic flight, you can use fast bag drop.
Otherwise you will need to check-in as normal.
Alternatively, you can use the baggage re-check desks on the left before exiting to the public area (NOTE : These are permanently closed now - Oct 2022).
If you would prefer to avoid the porters and taxi touts in the arrivals halls, there are escalators to the left of these desks which will take you to level 1. From there you will need to go up one more level to reach domestic departures. (NOTE : These escalators are out of service now - Oct 2022).

The domestic terminal is designated as a separate terminal (Terminal B) but do not be confused by this. All the terminals at JNB are under one roof so you barely notice that you are transferring between them.

Domestic-International Connection

If you can interline baggage, you can check it through from your initial departure point to your international destination. Once you land at JNB walk out to exit (ignore signs to go downstairs to baggage reclaim), keep walking through the shops/past the food court, around the atrium and there is a security/emigration point on your front right.

Please see post #106 for an illustrated guide.
[although there is no need to go up the moving walkway and then back down again - just come out of the domestic exit and keep walking straight on that level, which will bring you to the security/emigration point]

International-International Connection

Minimum connection time: 60 minutes

This is where things become a little more tricky.

If you arrive at a jetway, you will see a corridor heading towards International Transfers on the left just before the escalators down to passport control.
If you arrive at a remote stand and are bussed to the terminal, you will see the escalators on the left heading up to International Transfers as you enter the building.
Both these paths are well signposted and there is usually a staff member shouting out "International transit" and waving a sign to direct passengers.
When you go down the corridor, there is a transit immigration point before the transfer desks. Typically the wait here is 1-3 minutes, very much quicker than 'normal' immigration.
Your passport will be stamped with a "TRANSIT" stamp here even though you do not enter the country, and you must ensure that you have the required blank pages otherwise you may not be permitted to continue your transit and instead sent back to your originating point.

A few meters beyond the immigration checkpoint is the main transit information area which have desks for all the international airlines and handling agents.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your final destination, ensure that you give your connecting airline the tag numbers at this time so that they can verify them in their system.
If the tag numbers are not re-verified, they will not be loaded without manual intervention. This is not required if connecting from SAA to SAA flights however.

If your bags have not been tagged through, you will need to find a member of staff in International Transfers from your arriving airline.
Ask them to get one of their baggage services staff to pull your bags off the belt manually and coordinate with staff from your onward airline to retag them to your final destination.

This is a rather convoluted process and can take a long time.

Therefore, if your bags cannot be tagged all the way through, it is advisable to pass through immigration, collect your bags at baggage reclaim and clear customs.
After you clear customs but before you exit to the public area (the exit is a set of sliding doors on your right), you will see a series of baggage re-check desks on your left.
Proceed to these desks since they often have smaller queues and have your bags re-tagged.
Then head up the escalators to your left (do not exit the main doors into the public area) which emerge on the departures level.
Turn right when facing the Vodacom store and the departures security checkpoint is right in front of you.

You can do the entire transit and enter/exit South Africa in less than 5 minutes if your bags come out quickly.

If time permits, the safest option is to clear customs and re-check your bags as described above rather than rely on the interlining system at JNB.

Have a look at post #9 of this thread for pictures.

Originally posted by Ambassador BA304.

Luggage storage

This is taken from the whyjoburg.com web site (April 2016):

BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (11) 390 2689
http://www.a-teck.co.za/or-tambo-airport-store-teck/
Print Wikipost

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi, I am arriving LHR-JNB, then taking Proflight (to LUN). My understanding was that I need to clear immigration and customs and head to Term B to checkin at the Proflight desks. However is it possible to transit/transfer, with checked bags? Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I subscribe to an international travel advisory service and received an alert about a strike involving the SA national Revenue Service (SARS) that may impact customs workers. Has anyone seen a noticeable impact on international arrivals/departures?
Unless you have something that needs to be declared or VAT refunds to claim, you are unlikely to even see a SARS employee during a journey through the airport.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Advice on BA to Air Seychelles transfer on separate PNRs

Hi
We are travelling on BA from LHR to JNB and then on a separate ticket JNB to SEZ on Air Seychelles same day.
We have 4.5 hours between BA landing and HM taking off so that we have some time contingency built in for any delays. A couple of questions
1. I am aware we have to go through passport control and customs and pick our bags up. Can you do bag drop off ( not in transit area) as per the wiki before you enter the public space or do we go out and upstairs and recheck at the normal check in desks?
2. I have Priority Pass and so was hoping to use a lounge while waiting for a shower and some nice food. Any recommendations on a lounge with the above 2 amenities in international departure since there seems to be three lounges possible?
Many thanks
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Dselvan
Hi
We are travelling on BA from LHR to JNB and then on a separate ticket JNB to SEZ on Air Seychelles same day.
Air Seychelles don't have a bag drop desk at arrivals (just after customs), so you have to take yourselves up the escalators to check in.

Lounges have showers but don't expect more than snacks and light bites, some lounges might still be pre-packaged food (covid measure that hasn't gone away at some places since it is more hygienic). If you arrive on time, by the time you are through immigration you should be able to check in your luggage and then have a breakfast at the food hall (landside) before going through security.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by konagirl2
Air Seychelles don't have a bag drop desk at arrivals (just after customs), so you have to take yourselves up the escalators to check in.

Lounges have showers but don't expect more than snacks and light bites, some lounges might still be pre-packaged food (covid measure that hasn't gone away at some places since it is more hygienic). If you arrive on time, by the time you are through immigration you should be able to check in your luggage and then have a breakfast at the food hall (landside) before going through security.
Thank you konagirl2. That is very useful.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:00 pm

Lyover

Arriving from VNX at 1330 and departing BA at 2040 on seapapete tickets. Traveling with the family of 4. Sensible to leave the airport to get to Rosebank or elsewhere? Recommendations to kill time with a 11 and 15 year old?

Last edited by CHSDOC; Jul 25, 2022 at 11:15 pm
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Arriving from VNX at 1330 and departing BA at 2040 on seapapete tickets. Traveling with the family of 4. Sensible to leave the airport to get to Rosebank or elsewhere? Recommendations to kill time with a 11 and 15 year old?
Head to Emperor's Palace for a movie. It is just around the corner (free shuttle or cheap Uber) and plenty of food options too. Easier options to keep two kids entertained than taking the Gautrain to Rosebank or Sandton.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Dselvan
I have Priority Pass and so was hoping to use a lounge while waiting for a shower and some nice food. Any recommendations on a lounge with the above 2 amenities in international departure since there seems to be three lounges possible?
Bidvest Lounge is the least unpleasant right now. Decent (even good at times) catering - individual sized portions pre-packaged in attractive bowls/plates, plenty of space, and showers (which aren't always available but they do exist).
Dselvan likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
Hi all.

I'm arriving on a Safair flight from Mauritius at 18:45 before self-connecting onto a BA flight back to London at 20:45. Is this doable, given we are checking bags in? Do I need to clear immigration?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rhysflies
Hi all.

I'm arriving on a Safair flight from Mauritius at 18:45 before self-connecting onto a BA flight back to London at 20:45. Is this doable, given we are checking bags in? Do I need to clear immigration?
do-able but very tight. You’ll need to clear immigration, claim bags, customs and then recheck. BA check in closes at 19:45 IIRC so you have an hour to do all of that before.

Personally it’s way too tight for me unless you are confident about getting rebooked or can eat the cost of a new ticket to London.

If hand luggage only you could use international transit and that would be a fairly OK connection.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Head to Emperor's Palace for a movie. It is just around the corner (free shuttle or cheap Uber) and plenty of food options too. Easier options to keep two kids entertained than taking the Gautrain to Rosebank or Sandton.
+1

We usually arrive later in the day before going to the Kruger area for safari trips. Stay at one of the hotels at/nearby the airport and take Uber s to the Emperor's Palace. Decent security and lots of places to go, eat, etc.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:00 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Any info on carrying duty free booze from an arriving BA flight to a connection on Airlink please?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
do-able but very tight. You’ll need to clear immigration, claim bags, customs and then recheck. BA check in closes at 19:45 IIRC so you have an hour to do all of that before.

Personally it’s way too tight for me unless you are confident about getting rebooked or can eat the cost of a new ticket to London.

If hand luggage only you could use international transit and that would be a fairly OK connection.
Thanks for this. For some reason my repsonse didn't post, but I've just come back from the flight. I was flying standby so rebooking wasn't a problem.

Managed to clear through no problem and even check in in good time, despite landing at a remote stand and having to be bussed in. Minor queue at immigration but nothing major. Glad it all worked out in the end - my connecting flight was delayed in the end so even had time to enjoy the lounge!
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold Elite, IHG Gold,
For a flight arrival into JNB at 0915 (BA), would a 2h15m self transfer be possible to catch an onward Airlink flight to LUN departing at 1130? would be flying business on BA and with luggage so requires re checking. This is for late Oct.

Upon exit from baggage reclaim are there Airlink desks there where would I be able to drop off luggage or would I have to go all the way up to the main check in desks?

As far as I am aware BA and Airlink don't interline? So no chance of them checking through the baggage or similar

Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat 2MM. Starwood Lifetime Gold
Flying into JNB on LX on 2 June 23 -3 people, wife and granddaughter. Attempting to book 1 room for 3 of us but IHG keeps saying sold out. Do they allow 2adults and 13 year old
child to stay in 1 room? Really do not want to go outside JNB unless absolutely necessary - had real scary incident last time through. Any help would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.