Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Guide to JNB (Oliver R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa)

Welcome to the guide to JNB.

If your have any further questions that have not been answered after reading through, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bear in mind that the minimum connection times given below are the shortest connections allowed for tickets on a single PNR. It would be advisable to leave more time than this, particularly if you are arriving during the busy morning period. If you are travelling on two separate PNRs, add on at least an extra hour to the MCTs to allow for whatever delays the Travel Gods may throw at you.

Do note that procedures can change so this guide may not be accurate. If you notice anything has changed or there are any errors, just let me know.

International-Domestic Connection

Minimum connection time: 90 minutes

Once you have deplaned, simply follow the crowd to the immigration hall.
After going through passport control, you will need to collect your luggage and pass through customs irrespective of whether your bags have been tagged through to your final destination.
Exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left. The escalator can take trolleys.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your destination and you have your boarding passes for the onward domestic flight, you can use fast bag drop.
Otherwise you will need to check-in as normal.
Alternatively, you can use the baggage re-check desks on the left before exiting to the public area (NOTE : These are permanently closed now - Oct 2022).
If you would prefer to avoid the porters and taxi touts in the arrivals halls, there are escalators to the left of these desks which will take you to level 1. From there you will need to go up one more level to reach domestic departures. (NOTE : These escalators are out of service now - Oct 2022).

The domestic terminal is designated as a separate terminal (Terminal B) but do not be confused by this. All the terminals at JNB are under one roof so you barely notice that you are transferring between them.

Domestic-International Connection

If you can interline baggage, you can check it through from your initial departure point to your international destination. Once you land at JNB walk out to exit (ignore signs to go downstairs to baggage reclaim), keep walking through the shops/past the food court, around the atrium and there is a security/emigration point on your front right.

Please see post #106 for an illustrated guide.
[although there is no need to go up the moving walkway and then back down again - just come out of the domestic exit and keep walking straight on that level, which will bring you to the security/emigration point]

International-International Connection

Minimum connection time: 60 minutes

This is where things become a little more tricky.

If you arrive at a jetway, you will see a corridor heading towards International Transfers on the left just before the escalators down to passport control.
If you arrive at a remote stand and are bussed to the terminal, you will see the escalators on the left heading up to International Transfers as you enter the building.
Both these paths are well signposted and there is usually a staff member shouting out "International transit" and waving a sign to direct passengers.
When you go down the corridor, there is a transit immigration point before the transfer desks. Typically the wait here is 1-3 minutes, very much quicker than 'normal' immigration.
Your passport will be stamped with a "TRANSIT" stamp here even though you do not enter the country, and you must ensure that you have the required blank pages otherwise you may not be permitted to continue your transit and instead sent back to your originating point.

A few meters beyond the immigration checkpoint is the main transit information area which have desks for all the international airlines and handling agents.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your final destination, ensure that you give your connecting airline the tag numbers at this time so that they can verify them in their system.
If the tag numbers are not re-verified, they will not be loaded without manual intervention. This is not required if connecting from SAA to SAA flights however.

If your bags have not been tagged through, you will need to find a member of staff in International Transfers from your arriving airline.
Ask them to get one of their baggage services staff to pull your bags off the belt manually and coordinate with staff from your onward airline to retag them to your final destination.

This is a rather convoluted process and can take a long time.

Therefore, if your bags cannot be tagged all the way through, it is advisable to pass through immigration, collect your bags at baggage reclaim and clear customs.
After you clear customs but before you exit to the public area (the exit is a set of sliding doors on your right), you will see a series of baggage re-check desks on your left.
Proceed to these desks since they often have smaller queues and have your bags re-tagged.
Then head up the escalators to your left (do not exit the main doors into the public area) which emerge on the departures level.
Turn right when facing the Vodacom store and the departures security checkpoint is right in front of you.

You can do the entire transit and enter/exit South Africa in less than 5 minutes if your bags come out quickly.

If time permits, the safest option is to clear customs and re-check your bags as described above rather than rely on the interlining system at JNB.

Have a look at post #9 of this thread for pictures.

Originally posted by Ambassador BA304.

Luggage storage

This is taken from the whyjoburg.com web site (April 2016):

BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (11) 390 2689
http://www.a-teck.co.za/or-tambo-airport-store-teck/
Print Wikipost

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:43 pm

Hi all,

I need your kind assistance.

On Monday I arrive with emirates at 16h25 (scheduled); terminal A.
My final destination is Windoek; Namibia.
For that I flight with Air Namibia scheduled at 17h55 Terminal A.

I’m a little bit worried about connection time (my travel agency say it’s ok).
Do you think I have enough time to catch my flight for Namibia?
What is the way from Terminal A to the same terminal ?
Should I clear immigration and custom?

Please note that my luggage are checked from geneva to windoek.

Many thanks for your help.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:00 pm

You will be fine, no need to clear immigration, just follow the transfers signs.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto
You will be fine, no need to clear immigration, just follow the transfers signs.
Dear Ditto, many thanks for your fast reply, I really appreciate!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ORTIA crime still a major issue.

SAPS arrests six suspects implicated in airport follow-home crime

Robbery of Dutch group
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:38 pm

Due to schedule changes, I will be arriving from AMS on Nov 23, 2017 at 10:15pm.

My visa is valid starting on Nov 24, 2017.

I am considering delaying going through immigration and get my stamp after midnight (extended bathroom break? be the last one off the plane?).

Is passport control / customs open 24 hours?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by coltonatx
Due to schedule changes, I will be arriving from AMS on Nov 23, 2017 at 10:15pm.

My visa is valid starting on Nov 24, 2017.
You may not be allowed to board the plane to SA, as you would be landing without a valid visa...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Yes, if you are assisted then you will use a separate queue at immigration which bypasses the main bottleneck at JNB. Assuming your inbound is on time you should make it without any rushing around. You will need to collect and drop your bags again in a similar way to arriving in the USA internationally - the folk assisting you will know what to do.

Most likely but you could still ask the agent at SZK.

The BA lounge is better but it does get really busy as you have 2 BA flights which depart either side of QR1360 and people tend to arrive early at JNB due to the exit immigration queues. Unfortunately the lounges are a fair distance apart so it isn't easy to take a look at one and then move to the other.
Our situation is similar to the one you responded to. I haven't transited JNB for many years, pre-World Cup. May I please seek your advice on complementary matters?

We are booked HEL-DOH-JNB with QR, arriving JNB at 10:00.

We need to book flights JNB-CPT, probably on BA. BA flights depart 10:35, 12:40, 14:00 then hourly. I guess 12:40 would be optimum.

The questions:
1 AIUI the QR agent at HEL will be able to check bags through to CPT, including the BA flight, as QR and BA are both OneWorld members. Do we do the Customs check at JNB and immediately recheck the bags, or do we have to take them to domestic?

2 We have wheelchair assistance booked to and from plane door. Do you know whether they will take us from International to Domestic or should we be looking to book Bidvest or similar?

3 On the return leg CPT-JNB connecting to QR (dep 14:05), AIUI BA will not through-check bags. How much time should we allow for bags and rechecking at JNB?

4 Same question re wheelchair: will they take us from domestic to international?

Many thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:42 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Roger
Our situation is similar to the one you responded to. I haven't transited JNB for many years, pre-World Cup. May I please seek your advice on complementary matters?

We are booked HEL-DOH-JNB with QR, arriving JNB at 10:00.

We need to book flights JNB-CPT, probably on BA. BA flights depart 10:35, 12:40, 14:00 then hourly. I guess 12:40 would be optimum.

The questions:
1 AIUI the QR agent at HEL will be able to check bags through to CPT, including the BA flight, as QR and BA are both OneWorld members. Do we do the Customs check at JNB and immediately recheck the bags, or do we have to take them to domestic?

2 We have wheelchair assistance booked to and from plane door. Do you know whether they will take us from International to Domestic or should we be looking to book Bidvest or similar?

3 On the return leg CPT-JNB connecting to QR (dep 14:05), AIUI BA will not through-check bags. How much time should we allow for bags and rechecking at JNB?

4 Same question re wheelchair: will they take us from domestic to international?

Many thanks.
Can't help with the wheelchair assistance, sorry, but
1. After collecting bags and taking them past customs, there are a set of domestic checkin desks before you go out into the main public atrium. I have never checked bags to JNB, so never used them, but from comment on here while the SAA desks are always manned, the BA desks are often empty. If they are empty and you need to go to domestic and recheck it's only about a 3-400 metre walk, up one level. There are plenty of lifts and the escalators can handle luggage trolleys.

3. While mainline BA won't interline bags, Comair BA are generally more flexible (from comments here). Certainly worth a try to get them rechecked. In any case, having to collect bags and recheck wouldn't (to me) make a lot of difference in flight choice; for a 14:05 int'l departure, I would be aiming to arrive at JNB around noon, with the proviso that the flight after that would still get me to JNB by 12:45, ie I always aim to take the flight before the last flight that would work.

Actually, Ditto's comment below is correct - with bags, you would likely need to be at ORT by around 12:20 latest to give yourself an hour to deplane/collect bags/walk to int'l departures, so the flight before that is probably arriving about 11:30.
Roger likes this.

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Nov 2, 2017 at 9:29 am
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
In any case, having to collect bags and recheck wouldn't (to me) make a lot of difference in flight choice; for a 14:05 int'l departure, I would be aiming to arrive at JNB around noon, with the proviso that the flight after that would still get me to JNB by 12:45, ie I always aim to take the flight before the last flight that would work.
If one have to check bags, 12:45 might not really be an option, add 20 minutes waiting for luggage and another 20 to go between terminals (assuming no golf cart style transport available), and you might be past the bag drop cut off time (I can't seem to find it, but I can't imagine it is less than 40 minutes)
Roger likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have also never used the wheelchair service at JNB but I am sure that they will happily take you wherever you need to go. I have seen the staff also helping people with bags where needed.

Short-ish connections at JNB are always a concern but if everything goes to plan 2:40 on the inbound should be plenty. With booked assistance you will use the crew/diplomat lane at immigration, or at least I have seen wheelchairs use that route.

I would be careful with the outbound as you could easily have a weather delay going into JNB during the summer months. Again however with booked assistance you should use the crew channel at security and exit passport control which takes the highly variable wait time there out of the equation.
Roger likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Internaut
Since you have a domestic leg, you’ll have to go through immigration anyway. So, through immigration and then (assuming you’re not vegetarian) Nandos. Job done. Since you have access to the SAA lounge, I think you should be able to get a shower there.
Sitting in the SAA lounge presently and can confirm they definitely have showers. I am not familiar with the "etiquette" of using them though, in terms of whether a tip for services might be expected.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
3hrs? I am coming in IAD-JNB with a sub-3hr connection to an SAA JNB-CPT flight (same PNR), am I going to have to worry about a missed connection?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:44 pm

Assuming by sub-3hr you mean something like 2h50 you should be fine
Anything less than 2hrs I will be worried about, although on the same PNR you are at least protected in case of late incoming aircraft.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You could get the train to Sandton. It's a nice area.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Anywhere in JNB airport during a 3hr stopover can i buy a vape ? International to domestic transfer btw...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.