FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1009900-jnb-johannesburg-airport-connections-facilities-layovers-etc.html)

industry_killer Jan 5, 2015 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Genoa (Post 24082406)
Newbie here! Hope I'm in the right place. Flying British Airways Cape Town to Johannesburg on Sunday evening to connect through to London on British Airways. Two separate tickets (PNRs?) Is two and a half hours sufficient time to allow?

If everything is on time should be an easy connection. Also even on seperate tickets the BA staff at CPT should be able to check your luggage all the way to LHR.

wln Jan 14, 2015 2:13 pm

EK - SA interline?

Wonderful thread - as expected from FT. A question I haven't seen addressed in it earlier: I have a ticket CPT-JNB-DXB on EK ticket stock, although the first leg is operated by SA. Any idea if SA agents will be able to check bags through to DXB, or should I expect to pick them up at JNB and check in with EK separately? One would think with one ticket it would be doable, but I don't know how nicely SA & EK's systems play with each other.

Steve_ZA Jan 14, 2015 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by wln (Post 24167316)
Wonderful thread - as expected from FT. A question I haven't seen addressed in it earlier: I have a ticket CPT-JNB-DXB on EK ticket stock, although the first leg is operated by SA. Any idea if SA agents will be able to check bags through to DXB, or should I expect to pick them up at JNB and check in with EK separately? One would think with one ticket it would be doable, but I don't know how nicely SA & EK's systems play with each other.

From this page it appears that Emirates interlines with everyone in practice you will need to ask at CPT if they can tag your bags through. Having said that I have never tried it but maybe someone else on here has.

frugaltravel Feb 1, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi, I have a flight from JFK to JNB on March 11 and will arrive at JNB at 5:10 pm. I plan to get 7:50 pm flight to CPT (BA). These will be 2 separate tickets (PNRs). Is 2 hours 40 minutes enough time for connecting flight from JNB-CPT? There is a later flight leaving at 8:45 pm from JNB-CPT (SA) but I reluctant to get the later flight since it will arrive at CPT at 10:55 pm.

Steve_ZA Feb 2, 2015 12:32 am

Originally Posted by frugaltravel (Post 24275215)
Hi, I have a flight from JFK to JNB on March 11 and will arrive at JNB at 5:10 pm. I plan to get 7:50 pm flight to CPT (BA). These will be 2 separate tickets (PNRs). Is 2 hours 40 minutes enough time for connecting flight from JNB-CPT? There is a later flight leaving at 8:45 pm from JNB-CPT (SA) but I reluctant to get the later flight since it will arrive at CPT at 10:55 pm.

Hi. Assuming that your inbound flight arrives on schedule (or close to it) then that will be enough time to make your connection.

aisleorwindow Feb 2, 2015 10:05 am

Just wanted to say thanks to all the contributors on this thread as it was really helpful for my recent trip to S. Africa.
^^^

frugaltravel Feb 2, 2015 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA (Post 24276057)
Hi. Assuming that your inbound flight arrives on schedule (or close to it) then that will be enough time to make your connection.

Thanks. I'm not sure about Etihad Airways, whether I will encounter any delays. I've never flown with them before. I lean towards staying overnight in Johannesburg and fly the next day to CPT.

Steve_ZA Feb 3, 2015 12:30 am

Originally Posted by frugaltravel (Post 24280927)
Thanks. I'm not sure about Etihad Airways, whether I will encounter any delays. I've never flown with them before. I lean towards staying overnight in Johannesburg and fly the next day to CPT.

If you aren't pushed for time you could take the Gautrain to Sandton and overnight there ... gives you a wider selection of hotels and places to eat.

Having said that, I'm assuming you are on EY604 which does appear to arrive on-time: http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ey604.

windycityf Feb 5, 2015 6:30 am

Updates?

Anyone travel thru since Feb 2 with the new enforcement of hand baggage?

I've flown thru Jo'burg before with 2 pieces and did not have any trouble. I am heading next week and just curious.

Thanks!

mechteach Feb 21, 2015 9:31 am

Does anyone know if there is a shop that sells SA SIM cards (preferably vodacom) in the JNB international transit area? We are arriving on a flight from MUC at 7:35 am, and leaving on a flight to LVI at 10:40 am. We're then coming back to SA a couple of days later, and it would be great to already have the SIM cards in hand at that point. (We're flying nonstop LVI-MQP and driving straight to the Malelane gate.)

Cheetah_SA Feb 21, 2015 10:04 am

According to the ACSA web site there is a Vodashop in the duty free mall in terminal A. The contact details are given as:

Tel: 011 390 1573
e-Mail: [email protected]

mechteach Feb 21, 2015 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA (Post 24390618)
According to the ACSA web site there is a Vodashop in the duty free mall in terminal A. The contact details are given as:

Tel: 011 390 1573
e-Mail: [email protected]

Oh, excellent! Thanks so much for your help and the contact details - I'll write and see.

goingtoafrica Mar 10, 2015 12:12 am

connecting @ JNB

Hi!

So my flights, one ticket, are AMS-JNB-TNR, the first flight is KLM, second SAA. My connection @ JNB is 13hrs, and overnight (2115-1000). Sounds like my luggage should be checked all the way through to TNR, but seems like luggage thief might be a problem. Anyhow, I am going to lock all my zippers and affix the locks to a stationary pack of my backpack (there are a lot of loops and such), and duct-tape my zippers so they can't be re-zipped. Also sounds like I personally follow the signs for international transfers, stamp my passport and wait. Can anyone tell me if I can spend the night at the international terminal after stamping my passport (as in, I'm too cheap to pay for accommodation outside the airport)? I don't have to leave the secured area, right? Even at night? Or does the international terminal close at night and I have to leave? In that case, what happens to my luggage?

Thanks!

industry_killer Mar 11, 2015 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by goingtoafrica (Post 24482876)
Hi!

So my flights, one ticket, are AMS-JNB-TNR, the first flight is KLM, second SAA. My connection @ JNB is 13hrs, and overnight (2115-1000). Sounds like my luggage should be checked all the way through to TNR, but seems like luggage thief might be a problem. Anyhow, I am going to lock all my zippers and affix the locks to a stationary pack of my backpack (there are a lot of loops and such), and duct-tape my zippers so they can't be re-zipped. Also sounds like I personally follow the signs for international transfers, stamp my passport and wait. Can anyone tell me if I can spend the night at the international terminal after stamping my passport (as in, I'm too cheap to pay for accommodation outside the airport)? I don't have to leave the secured area, right? Even at night? Or does the international terminal close at night and I have to leave? In that case, what happens to my luggage?

Thanks!

Sorry this is a horrible plan all around. Collect your luggage and book a cheap BnB near the airport, do not spend the night in JNB.

goingtoafrica Mar 11, 2015 10:00 pm

Thanks...I am aware it's not the best plan, but thought to throw it out there.

Originally Posted by industry_killer (Post 24491290)
Sorry this is a horrible plan all around. Collect your luggage and book a cheap BnB near the airport, do not spend the night in JNB.