Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Gold Circle changes afoot: AerClub starting sometime in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Circle changes afoot: AerClub starting sometime in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
The interview posted today suggests the long ignored EU traveller might be in for a win.

It would be so obvious to just state, if you meet the Prestige requirements on March 1st, you become Platinum, etc. They choose not to which suggests there is something going on.

Or could this be a game to stop mileage running to hop up a tier (DUB-BRU/AMS on plus fares is best point/euro option)

I imagine someone is going to crunch numbers on Feb 28th and distribute based on some formula of how much a member at each tier costs vs the revenue/budget for the program.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
I got the 'to join, simply do nothing' email and I didn't even know I was a member (maybe I signed up a more than few years ago when working in Dublin, but I ended up crediting the flights to BA and had received no emails from Aer Lingus certainly in the last years, until now). Very strange.

Anyway I look forward to joining Aer Club, and I guess it will be an alternative way to collect and spend Avios, so, assuming Avios transfer between FFP is possible as with BA/Iberia/avios.com, will not be a bad thing.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by wyvern
I got the 'to join, simply do nothing' email and I didn't even know I was a member (maybe I signed up a more than few years ago when working in Dublin, but I ended up crediting the flights to BA and had received no emails from Aer Lingus certainly in the last years, until now). Very strange.

Anyway I look forward to joining Aer Club, and I guess it will be an alternative way to collect and spend Avios, so, assuming Avios transfer between FFP is possible as with BA/Iberia/avios.com, will not be a bad thing.
Anyone who has ever set up an applicant account and received a membership number has got the email. Even if it was 5 years ago etc...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:06 pm

I rang Gold Circle today as I thought some if my fights hadn't been credited properly (turns out I was right, only the outward leg of my last 4 journeys got credited to my account).

The guy on the phone specifically said the exchange rate between Gold Circle points and Avios would be 1 point= 3 Avios.

I did not qualify for gold circle last year but have enough points for next year (which starts January 31st). Will I be given gold circle status for 2 months and then transferred into Aer Club or will I have to wait until Aer Club is up and running before getting status for next year?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
If you make the 2400 requirement before end Feb you will get a GC card. Same for renewals, only issue is no new GC numbers are being issued. So you don't have an account flying between now and end Feb might want to look at another program to dump the miles into before you can get an aer club account

If you have 2400 for the last 12 months at end Feb you will be Silver in the new system, if not there is some class of credit system to help you along.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:14 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Kier

The guy on the phone specifically said the exchange rate between Gold Circle points and Avios would be 1 point= 3 Avios.
I think 1:3 ratio is pretty poor, I would have expected better
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:07 am

Does the status level % bonus apply on the transfer?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ROKNA
Or could this be a game to stop mileage running to hop up a tier (DUB-BRU/AMS on plus fares is best point/euro option)
Sorry, but what do you mean by this?

If people weren't already "mileage running" to hop up tiers, why would they be more likely to do so now? Wouldn't they wait til the new programme kicked off?

And how do you think they can stop mileage running?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ROKNA
Does the status level % bonus apply on the transfer?
I would guess not.

The bonus is for spend on Aer Lingus flights - not for transfers. (And the Avios in your account may not all have been earned from Aer Lingus flights).
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Sorry, but what do you mean by this?

If people weren't already "mileage running" to hop up tiers, why would they be more likely to do so now? Wouldn't they wait til the new programme kicked off?

And how do you think they can stop mileage running?
Why would they want to stop mileage running? It's the perfection of a mileage programme. Completely artificial demand in exchange for a few tightly yield-controlled seats and a few extra bottles of champagne in some lounges.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
Why would they want to stop mileage running?
Again, I don't know.

Alitalia has been engaged in a year-long campaign to get me mileage running, offering bonus miles every few weeks. Last night's offer: 10k miles for any Alitalia flight booked and flown in December.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: EI Gold Circle, A3 *G, AB Gold & 3rd place East Leinster High Jump (1996)
Originally Posted by soy
I think 1:3 ratio is pretty poor, I would have expected better
The reality is actually worse.

See this has appeared on the Aer Club FAQ page.

At what rate will my Gold Circle Points be converted to AerClub points?

If you are a Gold, Prestige and Elite tier members you will receive 2 Avios points for every 1 Gold Circle Point.
https://www.aerlingus.com/experience...e&utm_term=ffp
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:10 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Is it just me or is this whole transfer being handled really badly by EI? It would have been much easier to say we will transfer the status you hold right now to the new programme as a courtesy and this is how existing status will match. The transfer rate is exceptionally poor and the communication is decidedly lacking.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:51 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Really???

1:2 or 1:3 - really???

Between 1:5 or 10 would be more like the equivalent Avios rate - this is pretty awful to be honest, if true... 😩
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by JAP
1:2 or 1:3 - really???

Between 1:5 or 10 would be more like the equivalent Avios rate - this is pretty awful to be honest, if true... 😩
a rate of 1:2 is disgracefully low...

i was thinking it would be something like 1:6, based on the fact that it costs 4000 GC miles to upgrade Europe (DUB) to USA (east coast), and likewise it costs 25k Avios to do a similar upgrade with BA on UK-USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.