TAB / Gold Circle service

Old Jan 12, 2001, 9:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
TAB / Gold Circle service

Has anyone heard any news recently about when EI are planning to improve their FF program? I thought things would get better when they joined OW, but this isn't the case. Perhaps if they adopted a mileage-based scheme things would improve? What's particularly annoying is the extremely low rate at which points are earned when flying with other OW airlines. I'm OW Emerald with them now, but only because I've flown with them at least once a week for the last year! Maybe it's time to give up on them altogether and stick to *A. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 12, 2001, 10:49 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
They just had a majour program change two years ago. From this change the program improved 50%. In essence, it went from HORRIBLE to plain old bad. Prior to the change I think I had about 12 Intl flights and 50 IRL to UK flights and enough miles from this for two upgrades. After the change, enough miles for 1 free ticket.

EI is a semi-state operation with little understanding of marketing or PAX needs.
I remeber the sales guy telling me, "we don't do deals, if you don't like what we have to offer fly on someone else." And so my company did a deal with DL.

EI is supposed to be sold off by the govt and then maybe things will change. However, this privatasation has been plaged with problems and is far behind schedule.

EI in the sky is as safe as they get. Coach is better then DL but Premier does not compare to DL Biz Elite. EI would not even upgrade the Pope if coach were oversold, they would make him fly on the next flight. They are not a friendly organisation when it comes to pleasing passangers. However, if you are top level TAB FF, they do treat you well on the ground, but still could care less about moving you upfront if open seats are there.

My suggestions, fly on someone else until they are spun off by the govt. Maybe then things will start to change.

[This message has been edited by JRF (edited 01-12-2001).]
Old Jan 19, 2001, 11:01 am

Just open up a AA acount if you do not have one- you can still fly EI metal ( on either EI or AA ticket) and get elite miles.

The program is better with AA. For me I have to do 9 round trips LAX to DUb in five years to get a free coach ticket, with AA program, you only need 4 r/t in off paek and 6 r/t in peak to get a free ticket.

JRF is right on the Tab program being a mess, but I strongly disagree with him as to the servive etc that he contends is bad.

My experience is mainly on the Transatlantic routes, which I have always found to be great in both classes (yes Biz elite is better and yes intra euro travel in a bit of a joke 3x3 in first class).

Dublin is a convenient connection point to several euro cities if you live near a EI USA city.

Also, EI marketing dept do offer many more fare deals than DL
Old Jan 19, 2001, 3:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
I've actually been recently considering the idea of switching to BA for oneworld flights - I'm based in Europe, so about 75% of my travel is intra-europe. The amount of flights you have to take to get free tickets here is also a joke - 8 return trips business class for one free coach trip, on the DUB-LHR route for example.

Compare this with British Midland (now in *A) who operate the same route, only 3 of these trips are required. About 3 months ago I wrote EI a nice "friendly" letter, generally complaining about the program and asking when they were going to improve it. Within a couple of days I got a call from their FF manager (!) - must have been the Elite card with them! - who talked and talked about how it was all going to change "really soon". I'm still waiting.

One area where they are good is upgrades, in Europe anyway. As an Elite cardholder, you will (almost) always be upgraded if flying on a free ticket, along with a companion. There's no official policy stating this but it's what I've seen in practice.

At the moment, the biggest problem I have with them is the rate at which points are earned when flying on other oneworld airlines. It's a fraction of what you'd get for a much shorter flight with EI (which is very little anyway to begin with!) I've written to them again about this, but as of yet, I've heard nothing.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 8:26 pm

Star-world

Check out all the airline's programs in one world before you make a decision- maybe even AAdvantage will work for you.

Look at your flying patterns, mainly Europe or USA?Just rember whichever program you enrol in, AA or BA, then you must fly THAT AIRLINE ONLY over the Atlantic

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.