Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus now Aiming for 60% of Sales Via Net

Old Sep 27, 2000, 9:59 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Aer Lingus now aims to generate up to 60% of its sales over the Internet within the next 2-3 years, according to CEO Michael Foley. The airline intends to introduce its ebusiness programme in November for 5 million (~Euro 6.35 million). "The experience of online suggests that it [sales] can be as high as 70 or 80%. We don't have that aspiration but we would look to reach 50-60% within 24-36 months," Mr Foley said. While he accepted that Aer Lingus would generate cost savings by paying less commission to travel agents, he said: "This isn't a savings issue, it's a customer service issue, we have to be online."

The airline's interactive website,
www.aerlingus.com

will allow customers to book flights online and shop around by schedule and price. It will also allow pax to book connecting flights, access frequent flyer points and interface with the Oneworld alliance.
Old Oct 14, 2000, 4:16 pm
Dub

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM
Hey Doc! I thought you lived on the UA boards? Nice to see you in this quiet corner. How I wish EI had joined *A. They were scared of going up against BA in any way. LH would have been a much better European partner. Well, OW may implode anyway.
Old Dec 1, 2000, 10:49 am

Originally posted by doc:
...according to CEO Michael Foley, [Aer Lingus] intends to introduce its ebusiness programme in November...it's a customer service issue, we have to be online."
November has come and gone, Mr. Foley, and your Web site looks like it's a company that went out of business two years ago. No current information. (The "news" advertises stuff from last spring.) No schedules. No reservations. The only seat maps are for A330s.

What a skanky site, what total lip service to customers.

[This message has been edited by wideman (edited 12-01-2000).]
Old Dec 1, 2000, 5:40 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
EI is a joke. I was Gold Circle on them before I switched to DL in 97.

There web site has been the way it is now for over 5 years. The only reason they are changing is pressure from One World. And, it appears the pressure is not enough.

A real shame, they used to be a decent airlines. Their equipment is nice and they are very safe. Managment is still semi state and could care less about passangers. So, they think they are doing an IPO in a few months? Hah!
Old Dec 2, 2000, 12:34 pm
Dub

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM
Yep, the privatization will be a disaster. They will probably be bought out by BA (or LH?), and that'll be the end of it. I agree their attitude to passengers has gone to the dogs, and I'm sad to have watched it happen. They used to be superb.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.