Under 2 but want to buy a seat

Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Under 2 but want to buy a seat

Hello - Trying to book airfare for a trip that I'll be taking my 1 year old son on. I'd like to book an actual seat so I can put him in his car seat, however, it doesn't seem to allow me to pick the over 2 years old child option for him. Does anyone have experience booking a seat for an infant? Might just call them in the morning, but was hoping to take care of this tonight still. Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Mike5055
Hello - Trying to book airfare for a trip that I'll be taking my 1 year old son on. I'd like to book an actual seat so I can put him in his car seat, however, it doesn't seem to allow me to pick the over 2 years old child option for him. Does anyone have experience booking a seat for an infant? Might just call them in the morning, but was hoping to take care of this tonight still. Thanks!
How come it does not let you choose that on the website? Online you would just choose 1 adult and then 1 child 2-11.

If you're trying to book the child on its own, it doesn't let you as you have to have at least 1 adult with a child of that age.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
How come it does not let you choose that on the website? Online you would just choose 1 adult and then 1 child 2-11.

If you're trying to book the child on its own, it doesn't let you as you have to have at least 1 adult with a child of that age.
I tried selecting the 2-11 option and when you get to the passenger details section, it would give an error saying the passenger isn't 2 once I enter his birthday.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:22 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
You’ll have to call them. I’ve never seen an infant in a car seat on an EI flight.
infrequentwings likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Mike5055
I tried selecting the 2-11 option and when you get to the passenger details section, it would give an error saying the passenger isn't 2 once I enter his birthday.
Ahh, that makes sense.

I imagine the only way is to enter a birthday over two, then call to have it amended, or just call to make the booking as others have suggested.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Ahh, that makes sense.

I imagine the only way is to enter a birthday over two, then call to have it amended, or just call to make the booking as others have suggested.
Definitely call, because then if there's an issue after you've explained it's their issue, not yours.

Never tried this with EI before, but on two other airlines phoning was the only way to do it. And you'll want to have the manual from the car seat or something to point at that says the car seat is ok to use on a plane with just a lap belt, not needing a lap and diagonal. One (other) airline wanted me to sit and read some Boeing manual about the plane with them to figure out if a car seat was ok to use on that model of plane.

EI rules for car seats on the plane are here EI car seat rules: looks like they want a CE marking sticker which states it's approved for use in cars and aircraft.

Last edited by infrequentwings; Mar 30, 2024 at 2:09 pm
Old Apr 5, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver / OWS
Originally Posted by alserire
You’ll have to call them. I’ve never seen an infant in a car seat on an EI flight.
I have used a car seat on EI. In Feb 2017 flying DUB - BDL in Hartford, CT and return.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.