Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Buy a Reward Flight now directly on Aer Lingus Website

Buy a Reward Flight now directly on Aer Lingus Website

Old Apr 8, 2024, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ROKNA
an isle seat
*aisle
Old Apr 8, 2024, 3:52 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I kinda liked that the old avios.com system was clunky, fell over a bit and took ages to return results. It meant that only the more persistent booker could use it successfully, especially when you had to phone up if you wanted to cancel, add seats etc. With the apparent ease of the new system, I imagine more will be using it, and likely the cheaper tax compared with booking on BA.com will not last as a result.
EI320 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tangey
and likely the cheaper tax compared with booking on BA.com will not last as a result.
Wasn't that removed some time back?

Along with some other drastic changes, such as preventing making reward bookings for departure in the following X days....
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:22 am

Programs: EI Platinum, BA Silver
I kinda liked that the old avios.com system was clunky, fell over a bit and took ages to return results. It meant that only the more persistent booker could use it successfully, especially when you had to phone up if you wanted to cancel, add seats etc. With the apparent ease of the new system, I imagine more will be using it, and likely the cheaper tax compared with booking on BA.com will not last as a result.
I had similar thoughts when the new site launched. Reward Flights on EI are about to become "mainstream". Greater accessibility will drive higher usership and increase competition for seats. In recent months I was often surprised to find availability on high-fare summer routes during peak periods which I put down to the Avios site simply being under-used.

Never let it be said that we are a difficult bunch to please!
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by EI320
I had similar thoughts when the new site launched. Reward Flights on EI are about to become "mainstream". Greater accessibility will drive higher usership and increase competition for seats. In recent months I was often surprised to find availability on high-fare summer routes during peak periods which I put down to the Avios site simply being under-used.

Never let it be said that we are a difficult bunch to please!
Long haul reward seats became mainstream pre-Covid and availability has lessened even further as the Avios family grows. That said, Im not convinced short haul reward fares have the same attraction for US, UK other frequent flyers based outside Ireland. Plus the treatment of Avios bookings as effectively TA channel was a complete PITA for booking management and FFP benefit recognition. Sorting that out is a welcome change (I hope anyway).
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 3:50 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by irishguy28
HfP blog had a post the other day about some EI Short Haul awards being 30-40e more if booked on BAEC
Old Apr 8, 2024, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Unlike the Avios.com interface, this booking interface only allows queries that are served point-to-point by Aer Lingus themselves....🤦‍♂️

Starting from Amsterdam (for instance), you can only book a ticket to DUB or ORK. Hopefully this is an oversight on their part. (And eventually they will add BA/IB etc...right?)
Just noticed the point-to-point restriction. Anyway one can book an itinerary with a connection?

lastly, I see BA avios prices out DUS DUB BOS as 17k + $300...would the surcharges/taxes be lower is booked through Aer Club?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 7:55 am

Unless it was was in the last month, because at the start of March I checked the new DUB-DLM-DUB route

1) 90K Avios + 54 booking on Avios.com
2) 90K Avios + 150 booking on BA.com.

That's for 2 people...cash almost x3 on BA.com compared to Avios.com.

As I previously reported, 22.5K avios for a 1-way DUB-DLM is scandalous, given that DUB-ATH is only 10K
alserire likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:03 am

Unless it was was in the last month, because at the start of March I checked the new DUB-DLM-DUB route

1) 90K Avios + 54 booking on Avios.com
2) 90K Avios + 150 booking on BA.com.

That's for 2 people...cash almost x3 on BA.com compared to Avios.com.

As I previously reported, 22.5K avios for a 1-way DUB-DLM is scandalous, given that DUB-ATH is only 10K
Correction, DUB-DLM is 22K OFF-PEAK, it is 27.5K peak.
Boston in economy is 13K/20K off peak/peak
West coast USA 16K/25K off peak/peak

DLM is the most expensive economy reward on the EI network.
The other two new routes cantania and heraklion are 8.5K/10K

This must me a mispricing surely, if they don't want reward flights then why not do what they do on the USA flights and make very little available.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:27 am

Correction, DUB-DLM is 22K OFF-PEAK, it is 27.5K peak.
Boston in economy is 13K/20K off peak/peak
West coast USA 16K/25K off peak/peak

DLM is the most expensive economy reward on the EI network.
The other two new routes cantania and heraklion are 8.5K/10K

This must me a mispricing surely, if they don't want reward flights then why not do what they do on the USA flights and make very little available.
The most expensive reward ticket but the cheapest cash ticket. DLM not selling too well.

irishguy28, tangey and MM00LL2 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EI320
The most expensive reward ticket but the cheapest cash ticket. DLM not selling too well.
I don't think that's true!

Some Saturdays in May are currently going for over 500 one-way:

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 13, 2024 at 5:50 am
Old Apr 13, 2024, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully after Tuesday some issues such as booking on partners, booking connecting itineraries, and the relative paucity of award availability on the shorthaul network within 60 days of booking will be resolved...

They're really eager to spread the word that the site will be temporarily offline in the early hours of next Tuesday

MM00LL2 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 7:36 am

I don't think that's true!

Some Saturdays in May are currently going for over 500 one-way:

This is after the 24 hour bargain basement sale covering April and May. With every seat priced at 49.99 the flights are most likely close to full. The promotion achieved its aim.
alserire likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.