Fares ex-EU to USA destinations

Old Jan 19, 2024, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by rcurry01
Filing fares and maintaining them is work and costs the airline money. EI just are not going to do it when there is basically no demand.
Almost all other airlines do (including ones that only codeshare into BRS). For example, Qatar Airlines (QR) files fares ex-BRS to all their destinations, routing via EI to DUB as the first leg.

1. BRS-EI-DUB-DOH
2. BRS-EI-DUB-QR-DOH

EH03* /WITHIN THE EASTERN HEMISPHERE/ CONSTRUCTED RTG
TRAVEL MUST BE VIA DUB
1. BRS-EI-DUB-DIA/DOH-MEL
2. BRS-EI-DUB-QR-DOH-MEL

Pretty much all faring is now auto-generated and filed by computer, so I should imagine the incremental effort is minimal.

Originally Posted by rcurry01
PS. I flew FRA-BRS on LH once around 2017. It was super convenient for my needs, but there could not have been more than 10 people on the flight.
That would have been bmi regional, on their ERJ-145 aircraft, possibly before they had agreed codesharing with LH, and certainly before they went bust in early 2019. Recent load factors on BRS-FRA have been in excess of 85% with E-195 aircraft, which suggests connecting traffic is critical to that being a successful route. I can't imagine many people want to fly just to FRA.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 4:13 am

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
That would have been bmi regional, on their ERJ-145 aircraft, possibly before they had agreed codesharing with LH, and certainly before they went bust in early 2019. Recent load factors on BRS-FRA have been in excess of 85% with E-195 aircraft, which suggests connecting traffic is critical to that being a successful route. I can't imagine many people want to fly just to FRA.
You are correct, it was BMI regional on an ERJ-145. It was a work trip and I booked it through our corporate travel agent who issued the ticket via LH. I was actually very surprised when I got to the plane and saw it was BMI Regional as I never saw anywhere on my paperwork that they were operating the flight.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'm posting this quote from the AFKL thread that was made today as I found it highly pertinent to the BRS vs LHR issue that was touched on above

Originally Posted by dkeng
But no chance I am switching most of my business travel away from the very conveniently located BRS and over to the highly annoying LHR, simply to gain some points on another program where I almost certainly would never reach meaningful status.
dkeng likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'm posting this quote from the AFKL thread that was made today as I found it highly pertinent to the BRS vs LHR issue that was touched on above
Difference being I hardly every go to the US and EI is therefore not of interest to me.

But to reiterate the excellent point above: I can get out of bed approximately two hours before departure, three hours before my KL flight lands in Schiphol. At this time I would have only just barely arrived in LHR (travelling by train). So even where a direct flight is available from LHR, the option via AMS is often actually faster. And I don't have to worry about whether or not the Elizabeth line trains have pulled down the overhead wires on the great western mainline again...
alserire and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by dkeng
And I don't have to worry about whether or not the Elizabeth line trains have pulled down the overhead wires on the great western mainline again...
But you do have to worry about if Schipol is fogged in again and you miss your onward connection… or if BRS is fogged in and your flight is canceled, your alternatives are slim to none.

I totally agree that BRS is a significantly more convenient airport to depart from if you live in that area. No argument there. When you are only looking at the departing airport you are only looking at part of the equation. You need to consider:
1) What is the total door to door time in transit.
2) What hassles are involved in the journey. (Getting to the airport, moving baggage, connecting, downtime, etc.)
3) What are my recovery options if things go wrong.

It’s hard to argue that LHR doesn’t win for numbers 1 and 3. From BRS the only advantage it has is the initial getting to and through the airport experience. (We won’t even get into where the lounges are better.)

For me, hands down win for LHR especially vs a a double connection to the US. I’ll trade the convenience of getting to the airport, for the lack of connection, shorter travel time, and easier recovery every time.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Handily, we're all free to choose our own origination and destination airports based on the criteria that make sense to us.

The original point to this thread was that EI doesn't publish the range of fares to the USA that it could ex-UK. It doesn't seem to be a problem of scale, because fares are auto-generated and other OW airlines are loading ex-BRS fares to all their destinations, many of which use BRS-EI/BA-DUB as their first leg.

So my hunch is it must be a policy or commercial constraint, which is interesting.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:28 am

Programs: AA US
I'm based BRS and fly to various places in North America. As Lufty have decided to dump BRS *yet again* , I'm giving EI a go.

I can see from the website that ex-DUB there are fares to a lot of US destinations, including all the ones I need to go to. But if I switch to ex-BRS, I can only see the destinations served directly by EI from DUB.

I just finished a trip where I took the risk of ticketing BRS-DUB and DUB-LAS as separate tickets, and luckily everything was punctual so I made all the connections. But, I couldn't check a bag through, and I'm going to need to do that on my next US trip.

Why don't EI publish the same range of fares ex-UK? (I see that MAN and BHD have fares published to all those places, but they seem to be the only places that do). Surely it's not because their ticketing platform can't handle more than 4 segments in ticket?
You can't check a bag through because you transit US customs in Dublin. Believe me, it's better to do that in Dublin than in the US.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by RobS
You can't check a bag through because you transit US customs in Dublin.
Nonsense. Bags are checked through. If customs want to inspect a bag they can do so
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

I can't check a bag through because EI prohibits checking bags across tickets / PNRs. Which is also a bit frustrating because EI has interline ticketing and bagage arrangements with AA and UA, so that's simply a policy/commercial call to stop people end-on ticketing itineraries.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 2:56 pm

I'm based BRS and fly to various places in North America. As Lufty have decided to dump BRS *yet again* , I'm giving EI a go.

I can see from the website that ex-DUB there are fares to a lot of US destinations, including all the ones I need to go to. But if I switch to ex-BRS, I can only see the destinations served directly by EI from DUB.

I just finished a trip where I took the risk of ticketing BRS-DUB and DUB-LAS as separate tickets, and luckily everything was punctual so I made all the connections. But, I couldn't check a bag through, and I'm going to need to do that on my next US trip.

Why don't EI publish the same range of fares ex-UK? (I see that MAN and BHD have fares published to all those places, but they seem to be the only places that do). Surely it's not because their ticketing platform can't handle more than 4 segments in ticket?
Have you tried booking using multi city option? My Mum wanted to fly EXT-NTE via DUB last year. Putting in EXT-NTE as a single journey yielded no results, but putting in the 2 legs separately (EXT-DUB and DUB-NTE), she was able to make the booking (on a single PNR with baggage checked through).
Example for BRS-LAS:

irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Aha, now that's interesting. The multi-city option on the website only allows two segments to be booked, but I didn't realise that if I did those segments as BRS-DUB and DUB-LAS, it would combine them onto a single PNR, even though it's two different fares. That's *very* helpful, thank you.

I guess it does mean they're booking as one-way fares, which looks quite expensive. For instance, purchasing using the multi-city method, for the dates I'm looking at, BRS-DUB-LAS and LAS-DUB-BRS booked using the multicity workaround comes to GBP875 + USD1 041 = GBP1 727

If I book it as BRS-DUB-BRS and DUB-LAS-DUB as I would have done (for the same flights) it would be GBP79 + EUR 756 = GBP724. So it's quite a lot more expensive to book it as two sets of single tickets. However, it does prove that you can end-on tickets, so if I get my TA onto this, they should be able to combine two sets of round-trip tickets as end-on into a single PNR, and thus allow through check of bags (assuming IE will check bags across tickets if not across PNRs).

Good spot, thank you.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:17 pm

OTAs can certainly do it, so I’m sure a real travel agent could as well…

irishguy28 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.