Denied Boarding EI JFK-MAN

Old Dec 31, 2023, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Denied Boarding EI JFK-MAN

Hello Everyone,

I have had a distressing evening at JFK Aer Lingus check-in.

My wife and I were booked in Business Class, booked through a travel agent. the agent booked us through BA as the fare was somewhat less. upon check-in we were told there were no ticket numbers in the PNR. when I supplied the ticket numbers I was then told that BA had 'suspended' the booking due to suspected fraud on the payment method used by the travel agent. I called the agent who then rebooked me successfully. the check-in staff still refused to let me check-in saying that while BA had not suspended the second booking, the Aer Lingus Station Manager had taken the decision not to let us fly unless payment was made with a payment method they could physically see i.e. my own credit card. I asked if I could purchase new tickets at the counter and was told I could and that it would cost 5245 USD for both of us. I said fine. the agent after tapping away for five minutes said the fare has now doubled to over 10,000 USD. I then said that is not acceptable and would they let me fly if a new booking and payment was made with my own credit card that they could then see physically, I was told yes. the travel agency then booked using my own card, I then returned to the desk with yet a 3rd ticket and the manager commented that it was the same travel agent that made the booking, I said yes but you confirmed it was the payment method that was the issue, at that point the manager said well you are too late anyway, despite the fact that the flight was not going to depart until over 60 minutes later.

I feel the motives here were questionable and do not wish to let the matter rest. any ideas most gratefully received

thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:34 am

Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Hmmmm.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:57 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
No idea. But it seems to me that someone has a major issue with your travel agent. I would too. Have never heard the like quite frankly.

Ultimately thats where the issue lies. Not with EI. Clearly they did not expect to get the money for some reason.

Why did you involve the travel agency in the third booking? Why not do it yourself directly with the agent?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:08 am
Original Poster

I am not sure they had an actual worry. it seemed more like they were on some mission - have you ever seen that first they tell you it will cost 5k then the price changes to to 10k within minutes.. obviously I was not going to go along with that. (the EI website did not allow me to select the 31st of December as it was already Jan 1 in Ireland). BA had issued the ticket and there was no question of them receiving payment. on the third attempt it had been paid on my card and they still were not going to let us fly. as I understand it, a issued ticket is a form of contract. they must honor that unless there is a legal reason not to. I have previously encountered issues checking in six months ago with the same staff. they held me up for an hour saying they could not override a security issue that flagged on my name... that never happened with Aer Lingus having flown with them many times- only at JFK.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:12 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
As above denied boarding etc does not come into play if the flight is not ticketed correctly. You must hold a valid ticket to be able to check in

Lesson here is to book directly with the airline not booking a code share through a travel agent, multiple levels of redirection means if it goes wrong getting in touch with you is tricky

Any legal action is with the travel agent and BA (as it was a BA ticket) BA has an active fraud department and its not unknown for them to block flights due various reasons.
alserire likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:18 am
Original Poster

all three bookings had been issued with valid ticket numbers certainly the latter two - they admitted that much. the third was not issued via BA it was an EI ticket.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by joelwgcpc
all three bookings had been issued with valid ticket numbers certainly the latter two - they admitted that much. the third was not issued via BA it was an EI ticket.
I’m still not sure why you used the travel agent to book a third time when clearly that was the problem. Why not deal with the agent directly? And why not book via the BA website instead of adding another layer to the ticketing?

As suggested by ROKNA, I’ve no idea why people use travel agents for flight only bookings. Seems to me to be self defeating.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by alserire
I’m still not sure why you used the travel agent to book a third time when clearly that was the problem. Why not deal with the agent directly? And why not book via the BA website instead of adding another layer to the ticketing?

As suggested by ROKNA, I’ve no idea why people use travel agents for flight only bookings. Seems to me to be self defeating.
Why do you ask this? The ticket doubled to $10,000 by the agent of the airline. Why should he deal with that? They also stated they wanted to see a tkt paid with his credit card. His travel agent issued a ticket on Aer Lingus stock with his credit card as the FOP. That should have been the end of the story.
What the airline did to this passenger is ridiculous and should not have happened. It is high time airlines stop with this nonsense.
AlwaysFlyStar likes this.

Last edited by AJNEDC; Jan 1, 2024 at 9:03 am
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:03 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Hello Everyone,

I have had a distressing evening at JFK Aer Lingus check-in.

My wife and I were booked in Business Class, booked through a travel agent. the agent booked us through BA as the fare was somewhat less. upon check-in we were told there were no ticket numbers in the PNR. when I supplied the ticket numbers I was then told that BA had 'suspended' the booking due to suspected fraud on the payment method used by the travel agent. I called the agent who then rebooked me successfully. the check-in staff still refused to let me check-in saying that while BA had not suspended the second booking, the Aer Lingus Station Manager had taken the decision not to let us fly unless payment was made with a payment method they could physically see i.e. my own credit card. I asked if I could purchase new tickets at the counter and was told I could and that it would cost 5245 USD for both of us. I said fine. the agent after tapping away for five minutes said the fare has now doubled to over 10,000 USD. I then said that is not acceptable and would they let me fly if a new booking and payment was made with my own credit card that they could then see physically, I was told yes. the travel agency then booked using my own card, I then returned to the desk with yet a 3rd ticket and the manager commented that it was the same travel agent that made the booking, I said yes but you confirmed it was the payment method that was the issue, at that point the manager said well you are too late anyway, despite the fact that the flight was not going to depart until over 60 minutes later.

I feel the motives here were questionable and do not wish to let the matter rest. any ideas most gratefully received

thanks!
You are in a bind. So sorry this happened to you. What EI did is ridiculous. I can't' offer much help besides the following:
Find another carrier for your trip.
Find another TA to issue you the ticket
If there are no other carriers or other TAs: buy the ticket from the airline, fly on it and then charged it back. Provide a proper explanation to your credit card company with the receipts of the two tickets advising yr credit card company how the ticket jumped from $5K to $10K.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:34 am
Original Poster

..when you ask for the agent name and they refuse to give it you know there's something amiss.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
..when you ask for the agent name and they refuse to give it you know there's something amiss.
Is there anything unusual about the travel agent -- or the initial form of payment used -- that we should know?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:50 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
The reason the price went up is you kept buying tickets from a limited inventory so the price goes up. In these circumstances you go to the ticketing desk and get that agent to do the reservation there a then, no messing. Tickets sold via travel agents issue but do not ticket instantly. Is your travel agent authorised agent of EI??

Some relevant T&C in the contract to refuse you
​​​​
7.1.1 such action is necessary in order to comply with any applicable government
laws, regulations or orders;

7.1.10 you have not paid the applicable fare, carrier imposed fees, taxes, fees or charges;

7.1.18 you present a Ticket that: has been acquired unlawfully; has been purchased
from an entity other than us or our Authorised Agent; has been reported as being lost or
stolen; or is a counterfeit;
As you stated you in the past have issues checking in due your name flagging up. Why is a question? Do you have a DHS TRIP redress number? Staff on the desk will not know the reason why but the computer will say no. It is grounds to refuse you if you are on a no fly list either the USA DHS or if you are on a no fly list of any IAG airline (BA/IB/EI/VY/IB)

Legally you can take a UK261 claim (UK airline, flying to UK), in fact you would have 3 cases to take
You can do a data protection act request again on EI UK
You can file a DHS TRIP redress case to root out why you have issues checking in in the US
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:50 am
Original Poster

have been using the travel agent for some years, offers great service although I wouldn't have visibility on his FOP. I am rather convinced that there was no material issue as BA allowed another set of tickets to be booked as did Aer Lingus with my card.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
have been using the travel agent for some years, offers great service although I wouldn't have visibility on his FOP. I am rather convinced that there was no material issue as BA allowed another set of tickets to be booked as did Aer Lingus with my card.
Don't most travel agents purchase tickets with the passenger's own credit card? It seems to me that the passenger's card number would have to be the form of payment on the ticket in order for any special protections offered by the credit card (Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay insurance) to apply. Has your TA ever explained to you why he does not purchase your tickets with your credit card?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by AJNEDC
Why do you ask this? The ticket doubled to $10,000 by the agent of the airline. Why should he deal with that? They also stated they wanted to see a tkt paid with his credit card. His travel agent issued a ticket on Aer Lingus stock with his credit card as the FOP. That should have been the end of the story.
What the airline did to this passenger is ridiculous and should not have happened. It is high time airlines stop with this nonsense.
m

Im asking because I have literally never heard of this happening before. As noted , the price likely went up as multiple ticket requests were being made within a couple of hours of departure.

If I was told that the ticket had been flagged as a fraud I would first and foremost wonder what was going on with my travel agent.

Then again as I dont use them then maybe Im wrong.

Again. Ive no idea why a private individual would use a travel agent to book a flight only fare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.