Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

The confusion over EI from LHR to ORK (rtn) booked on BA with a BA flight code

Old Dec 7, 2023, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022

I wonder if anyone has experienced the same or can provide clarity on the following.

I have booked two flights from LHR to ORK flying to Cork before Christmas and returning to London before the New Year. I booked the flights through BA including car hire (to get some avis perks) and so I have a BA flight number. (starts BA 59xx) Confusion reigns mainly on baggage. I was only offered one option on the BA site in terms of type of fare which turns out to be the basic fare, with both BA and EI stating within managing my booking that no bag or seat is included.

As it was booked through another airliine, I've called EI today in N America (I live in Canada) and I've booked two seats (with EI kindly uplifting PAX numbers by using a 321LR) though I'm not entirely happy as a BA Silver Exec Member.

In terms of bags, the agent in the call center said that both a 23kg bag (which neither BA say on the automated booiking I was sent. He assured me the system showed one bag each. I asked about the new carry on policy which he was unaware with and told me I could carry it onboard. Yet the EI website shows checking a carry on in, or pay at the gate.

I think I'm right in saying i can't check the bags through to Cork as the flights are not on the same locator.

In terms of BA Exec club silver, the aqent told me I don't get the lounge at Heathrow with EI but as I'm flying club from Toronto, I'll go to the arrivals lounge first. I don't get two bags or priority check-in or boarding, free reservations. n
All first world issues I know but I sometimes question why its bothering with membership if members and associate members have different rules and treat you differently. I realise that EI are an associate member (but where do I find what that does and doesn't entitle me to, and given both are owned by IAG - its not customer focused nor joined up.

Any information would be appreciated. (not guess work please as I've done that one to death) I am NOT after perks i'm not entitled to, BUT I am trying to ensure no nasty surprises at check in or the gate. Many thanks.

PS -i've posting this on the BA forum in case somewhere there can tell me
Old Dec 7, 2023, 5:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA marketed bookings on EI get one bag at 23 kgs checked and the standard EI cabin baggage allowance, not the Basic shuffle arrangement. No status allowance but you can use the Aer Lingus lounge in LHR T2 if Silver, no guesting. No lounge access in ORK now unless you have a Priority Pass card or similar. If on a separate PNR you will have to check bags in London. Seat selection is courtesy of Royal Air Maroc.
jokerjokerj likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
The Aer Lingus website/systems can't cope with displaying baggage rules for other airline tickets .. but in my experience non Aer Lingus tickets always default to the standard 'Plus' fare baggage allowance .. the no bag 'saver' fare only exist with EI tickets

Seat Allocation / Checkin is always a mess .. I've never tried the trick with Royal Air Maroc or others .. but try that for my next trip and see if it sticks

I think your BA silver card will get you into the Aer Lingus lounge in LHR T2 ( Gold certainly does, but I thought silver did too ) .. It's nothing to write home about, but large enough space with nice views .. In Cork I believe no lounge for BA pax any longer , but it's a small airport and the lounge is very small so I really wouldn't worry much about that

Aer Lingus ( despite being owned by IAG, as with British Airways / Iberia ) is not a member , associate or otherwise , of One World .. so it's always a bit messy
jokerjokerj likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, EI AerClub Green
I travelled on a BAH on the LHR-ORK route only 2 weeks ago. The baggage allowance was 1x23kg (51Ibs) checked bag + 1x10kg cabin bag. The cabin bag does not need to be checked in and you won't ned to worry about having to pay at the gate. It also gives you priority boarding. From what it could make it out there it seemed like only 2 queues for boarding. Aer Lingus have changed their cabin baggage policy a few times over the last few years. In any case, for peace of mind you can go to an Aer Lingus desk in LHR T2 when you arrive and you can ask for a printed boarding pass - there is no charge. The boarding pass will have the words 'carry on' printed on them. If you had a boarding pass issued by BA it would not have this so you would not realise this.

BA Silver will allow access to the EI Lounge in T2. I did hear that at the start of the week before I travelled that there was a policy change and BA Gold/Silver holders were no longer had access to the Aspire Lounge in Cork. However, I did get access a few days later. I'll be back there again in a couple of weeks so I'll see if that is no longer the case.
jokerjokerj likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Thanks

Thanks Dave, EDK and C-W-S for the reassurances that the baggage will be ok. I do have the usual (first world) issue of two bags from YYZ and one to the hop to ORK. An added bonus (I think) is an A321L is slated for two cork flights though you can only book a biz seat as a higher fair as opposed to getting one as a seat reservation.
A happy holiday to you all!
Old Dec 17, 2023, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
An added bonus (I think) is an A321L is slated for two cork flights
Are you sure?

Every flight from Heathrow to Cork from tonight through Christmas Eve is operated by either an A320 or A320 Neo, according to the Aer Lingus website.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
A320NEO booked for all services

There is no meaningful seat capacity difference between the A320NEO and A321NEOLR anyway, its not like the old days where the A321CEO gave a major bump in seating
Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ROKNA
There is no meaningful seat capacity difference between the A320NEO and A321NEOLR anyway
Well, the "meaningful difference" is that the OP seemed to think there would be lie-flat seats on the plane from Heathrow to Cork which he may somehow have been able to snag.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the A321LRs have ever been scheduled for ORK services (unless as a one-off substitution for whatever reason); why would they? There's no longhaul service out of ORK.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:42 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Well, the "meaningful difference" is that the OP seemed to think there would be lie-flat seats on the plane from Heathrow to Cork which he may somehow have been able to snag.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the A321LRs have ever been scheduled for ORK services (unless as a one-off substitution for whatever reason); why would they? There's no longhaul service out of ORK.
Not sure why youd want a lie flat seat on that route. Youd barely get to use it!
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, EI AerClub Green
Originally Posted by alserire
Not sure why youd want a lie flat seat on that route. Youd barely get to use it!
Speaking from my own experiences. The few times that I arrived into LHR on an overnight from the US, if I could lie flat on the way to Cork, even for only 10 minutes, then I would . The final leg always felt the most excruciating as short and all as it is
alserire likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.