Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

UK -> DUB -> US - Immigration Pathway?

UK -> DUB -> US - Immigration Pathway?

Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travelli...nsey-or-jersey

If required, a third-country national is supposed to obtain permission to enter the UK prior to arriving from Ireland - or seek such permission from a Border Force officer upon arrival (despite there being no such officers present - though I remember the old LHR T1 had a big red telephone on the wall along the arrivals flow for such people to make contact with Border Force) - because there will be nobody checking these arrivals to exclude such people from entering illegally.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If you are actually on a connecting itinerary, and your destination is not in Ireland or the CTA, then you would be required to be able to show a passport. Any other non-CTA country will not admit you on the basis of a mere photo ID, so the airline would be obliged to refuse carriage to you. Whether and if you could make it as far as Dublin before being refused is open to debate, but you certainly would not get on a DUB-JFK (for example) flight by just showing the airline a driving license.
This is not true. There are many cases where you can travel between countries without a passport, usually involving dual citizenship or citizenship in one of the countries and residency in the other. For example, an EU citizen with residency in the UK could fly EU-IE-UK or reverse with an EU national ID. A UK citizen could travel between the UK and the US on a US Green Card (maybe also requires a UK driving licence).
Old Oct 27, 2023, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Im a new user
This is not true. There are many cases where you can travel between countries without a passport, usually involving dual citizenship or citizenship in one of the countries and residency in the other. For example, an EU citizen with residency in the UK could fly EU-IE-UK or reverse with an EU national ID. A UK citizen could travel between the UK and the US on a US Green Card (maybe also requires a UK driving licence).
I was addressing the OP, who I understand to be a UK citizen without a second nationality, and therefore not in possession of any "national ID" (the UK does not issue identity cards that are valid for the purposes of travel).

In any case, travelling internationally while wilfully leaving your passport behind is not to be recommended. Even if USCBP would admit you just using a Green Card, I'm not sure any airline would transport you without also seeing a passport.
RMDrive and alserire like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Amazingly my passport wasn't even looked at going through CBP last month... Wasn't opened, wasn't stamped

The CTA is an internal travel zone, if you leave or enter from outside you need a passport and are subject to full immigration control not the wave through on an CTA transit
Old Oct 28, 2023, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN/*G
My experience is that airports go to great lengths to segregate passengers carefully, so I find it curious that UK arrivals at DUB are mixed in with US arrivals.

As I arrived back into DUB from the USA, it appears that passengers connecting outside the CTA were waived past an empty immigration booth, and passengers for the UK and Ireland were directed to the passport gates (which were turned off) and a staffed booth. I had a cursory passport check from the officer and then was waved on back into the same flow as the other arriving passengers.

There was a photo ID / boarding pass check at the gate in DUB. On arrival at BRS, we were directed to the entrance for arrivals from Ireland, Channel Isles, Isle of Man, which bypasses immigration checks, but is subject to customs controls.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.