2 Questions about lounge access

Old Sep 1, 2023, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

2 Questions about lounge access

Hi:

I booked my mom round trip through United from Seattle to Cork, Ireland. She is routed Sea-YVR-LHR-ORK. The flight from Vancouver to Heathrow is operated by Air Canada. She is booked in business except for the last 1 hour or so flight from Heathrow to Cork which is booked in PE(I think that they do not have business on that flight). Her layover in London is about 5 and a half hours. Will she have lounge access at Aer Lingus(I think that is the closest Star Alliance Lounge to her gate) or is the fact that the last flight on her itinerary is in PE prevent this? I see that they sell Lounge Access for a reasonable price, so it shouldn't be a huge problem if not.

Also, she will be travelling alone in a wheelchair. Can she request somebody take her to the lounge and then have somebody called to take her to the gate closer to her flight?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sleepy
Old Sep 1, 2023, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by SleepyGuy1
Hi:

I booked my mom round trip through United from Seattle to Cork, Ireland. She is routed Sea-YVR-LHR-ORK. The flight from Vancouver to Heathrow is operated by Air Canada. She is booked in business except for the last 1 hour or so flight from Heathrow to Cork which is booked in PE(I think that they do not have business on that flight). Her layover in London is about 5 and a half hours. Will she have lounge access at Aer Lingus(I think that is the closest Star Alliance Lounge to her gate) or is the fact that the last flight on her itinerary is in PE prevent this? I see that they sell Lounge Access for a reasonable price, so it shouldn't be a huge problem if not.

Also, she will be travelling alone in a wheelchair. Can she request somebody take her to the lounge and then have somebody called to take her to the gate closer to her flight?

Thanks in advance,

Sleepy
You may want to check with the Aer Lingus (EI) forum, but I don't believe you will have access, as most eligiblity is based on departure flight and/or status. There is a EI lounge at LHR I believe, but based on your itinerary, you would not qualify for complementary access. I am sure paid access is available. The UA lounge (United Club) is also not eligible, and it is quite a bit of distance from EI gates.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
There is an Air Canada lounge at LHR T2 - but it looks like Air Canada only allows access 3 hours prior to Departure. No arrivals lounge. What airline takes her to Cork? Have you arranged for a wheelchair transfer at LHR? Maybe on the return she could access the lounge if she is in business class on Air Canada.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It depends on what fare she has on the flight from LHR to DUB. If it's Advantage or AerSpace then she'll have access to the EI lounge at LHR. Otherwise no lounge access because it's based on the departure flight.

https://www.aerlingus.com/book/plan/...-within-europe
Old Sep 1, 2023, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
. The UA lounge (United Club) is also not eligible, and it is quite a bit of distance from EI gates.
Technically maybe?

Passenger is flying UA F from SEA-YVR? Per UA policy, depends what "same-day" means

A boarding pass for travel in United Business Customers traveling internationally in United Business may access United Club locations at departure, connecting and arrival airportsfootnote3 along their eligible same-day routing. Customers traveling to and from Canada in United First are eligible for United Business access.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Here is info about buying Aer Lingus lounge access in LHR. I assume thats the airline she is flying to Cork?

https://www.aerlingus.com/prepare/ai...rport-lounges/
Old Sep 1, 2023, 5:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paperwastage
.... Passenger is flying UA F from SEA-YVR? Per UA policy, depends what "same-day" means
Does UA operate SEA-YVR?? Some codeshares with AC Jazz (on a plane without F - DH4)

More likely on AC operated flight

Got UA codeshares on AC??? UA award ticket with no UA flights?
paperwastage likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 1, 2023 at 5:35 pm
Old Sep 1, 2023, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Technically maybe?

Passenger is flying UA F from SEA-YVR? Per UA policy, depends what "same-day" means
UA does not operate SEA to YVR
paperwastage likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 12:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci

The flights from London Heathrow to Cork have economy class only. I don't believe Aer Lingus allow other airlines to book their passengers into AerSpace, which is the first row on an A320 with the middle seat free (which is also economy, but just with some perks like free food off the buy on board menu, lounge access etc). That means your Mom would not have lounge access at London Heathrow at the Aer Lingus lounge from her ticket. You would be best to purchase lounge access for her.

(That being said, I do not know if access is granted to a Star Alliance lounge due to the arrival in business, but I wouldn't think so!)

I assume you have booked wheelchair assistance with the airline (ie: United, who you booked with), which is what you need to do before the flight. I'm sure I've seen the assistance team bring people in wheelchairs to the lounge and then take them to the gate when it's time, but I am not sure. Someone else may have information there.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
It depends on what fare she has on the flight from LHR to DUB. If it's Advantage or AerSpace then she'll have access to the EI lounge at LHR. Otherwise no lounge access because it's based on the departure flight.

https://www.aerlingus.com/book/plan/...-within-europe
The above considerations apply only to tickets sold by Aer Lingus themselves. Only tickets issued on 053 stock by Aer LIngus themselves can have the "AerSpace"/"Advantage"/"Plus"/"Saver" attributes.

When sold via a partner (United or British Airways), sectors on Aer LIngus are merely issued in plain/vanilla "Economy" - even when the UA or BA sectors are in Business - which comes with a checked luggage allowance and a carry-on bag included. There is no lounge access ahead of any such Economy Aer Lingus flight.

(However, given that EI uses the Star Alliance terminal T2 at LHR, the passenger should check whether there may be a Star Alliance/United lounge in LHR T2 that would allow her access on the basis of having arrived in UA J. However, I can guarantee that the Aer Lingus lounge will not be accessible to this passenger)
FlightDetective and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 4, 2023 at 1:54 am
Old Sep 7, 2023, 6:46 pm

You didn't ask but I'll volunteer that if she's booked on a paid J fare YVR-LHR she should have access in YVR to the "Signature Lounge" which is substantially superior to the regular lounges. The dining is reputed to be actually high quality restaurant meals and service.

Wheelchair help is available independently of any fare class. It's requested from the airline and in North America it's provided by the airline. But in Europe it's actually provided by the airport contract staff. I don't have any experience but I would expect them to bring her to a lounge if she asks -- possibly with a bit of insistence. But I would be a tad nervous about them not showing up to pick her up later.... There are stories on FT about the wheelchair staff not turning up on time...

In LHR she could get access to the arrivals lounge (which isn't actually operated by AC). But that would require leaving airside via arrivals immigration and then reentering via regular security. Probably not convenient for her. But at 5h there would be time enough for it.

Fwiw the 3h limit for MLL lounges is waived for connections. But yeah, she wouldn't have access unless she has a departing J fare on a *A airline.

Last edited by zkzkz; Sep 7, 2023 at 7:00 pm
Old Jan 8, 2024, 6:54 pm

Hi sleepy

Just wanted to follow up- did your mom get lounge access in heathrow?
T
Hi:

Thanks in advance,

Sleepy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.