Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Passport/ID checks at irish Airport for UK arrivals

Old May 10, 2023, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Probably not correct place to post this query but as lots posters travel between UK and Ireland I thought I would post in EI page

Why is it when arriving to Ireland from UK there is a passport ID check but no checks are carried out when arriving from Ireland to UK.

Is the check at irish side government policy or is it more infrastructure issue at airports where passengers arriving from uk cannot be easily separated from non UK arrivals
Old May 10, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by mailliW
Probably not correct place to post this query but as lots posters travel between UK and Ireland I thought I would post in EI page

Why is it when arriving to Ireland from UK there is a passport ID check but no checks are carried out when arriving from Ireland to UK.

Is the check at irish side government policy or is it more infrastructure issue at airports where passengers arriving from uk cannot be easily separated from non UK arrivals
An infrastructure issue Id imagine. Annoys me that it cannot be organised but there you go.
Old May 10, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Irish government policy is to check ID of all arriving passengers, this is compatible with the agreements in place. The free travel agreement applies only to UK and IE nationals. The UK authorities do from time to time check arriving flights from Ireland

UK and IE nationals should be able to demonstrate such and various forms of ID will be accepted and be prepared to present the boarding card to prove arrival from UK if challenged, Aer Lingus accept a broad range of ID compatible with the requirements https://www.aerlingus.com/prepare/pa...-from-britain/

Ryanair require a passport for UK-IE travel, no exceptions, that is airline policy and not Irish or UK policy
Old May 10, 2023, 11:33 am

I recall at some point in the past arriving into T1 from LHR where BA board at the 200 gates (probably on a BA flight) that you could bypass passport check and exit as there was a control gate to the rest of the terminal preventing going back. Its gone now obviously I assumed for new security or procedural issues at the airport.

Or am I imagining things.....
Old May 10, 2023, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROKNA
Irish government policy is to check ID of all arriving passengers, this is compatible with the agreements in place. The free travel agreement applies only to UK and IE nationals. The UK authorities do from time to time check arriving flights from Ireland

UK and IE nationals should be able to demonstrate such and various forms of ID will be accepted and be prepared to present the boarding card to prove arrival from UK if challenged, Aer Lingus accept a broad range of ID compatible with the requirements https://www.aerlingus.com/prepare/pa...-from-britain/

Ryanair require a passport for UK-IE travel, no exceptions, that is airline policy and not Irish or UK policy
Thank you

Other than covid times never had any checks entering UK from Ireland.

I was once asked for my passport by border force at Heathrow but that I after clearing security to enter departures
Old May 10, 2023, 12:19 pm

Its Irish government policy and a lack of willingness to provide the infrastructure. It has been mentioned on here a few times over the years. DUB T2 was a blank canvas so could have been done. T2 and T5 LHR actually spent quite a bit of money creating the Irish channel and in my weekly commutes I have never been checked arriving from the ROI except once during Covid restrictions.

Back in the 90's there used to be some police checks but that was due to Irish terror groups being active and the police knew who they were looking for .
Harper50505 likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Its Irish government policy and a lack of willingness to provide the infrastructure. It has been mentioned on here a few times over the years. DUB T2 was a blank canvas so could have been done. T2 and T5 LHR actually spent quite a bit of money creating the Irish channel and in my weekly commutes I have never been checked arriving from the ROI except once during Covid restrictions.

Back in the 90's there used to be some police checks but that was due to Irish terror groups being active and the police knew who they were looking for .
Never had my passport or ID checked in Heathrow. Not once. Notable to that during Covid nothing changed for people travelling from Ireland to England. Not the same on the way back. The common travel area seems to be taken far more seriously by our UK friends than us.
DELLAS and AirbusA350 like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
I always got stopped for a few questions by the copper(s) after EI baggage reclaim in the old LHR T1. Apparently, bearded young men arriving from Ireland were "who they were looking for".

A work colleague was once taken away for a search, for reasons that were never clear to any of us; and he was clean shaven!!!
Old May 10, 2023, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccartje
I recall at some point in the past arriving into T1 from LHR where BA board at the 200 gates (probably on a BA flight) that you could bypass passport check and exit as there was a control gate to the rest of the terminal preventing going back. Its gone now obviously I assumed for new security or procedural issues at the airport.

Or am I imagining things.....
vaguely remember something like that when i lived in dublin. It was probably after arriving london with bmi or possibly City jet
Old May 11, 2023, 12:35 pm

This is a Dublin Airport issue, when I arrive at Rosslare all you need there is to verbally confirm to the garda officer that you are either British or Irish. I've never been challenged for any proof there but always use my passport at DUB to exit through the e-gates. The EI gates at LHR give direct access to the baggage claim area which you enter via a different route to others coming from other countries.
alserire likes this.
Old May 11, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
You can do the same at Dublin Airport, but you won't get on a flight to Dublin without some ID
Old May 11, 2023, 4:30 pm

There were certainly periodic ID checks at LCY of arriving DUB passengers ID throughout the 2010s decade (albeit rare, Id guess maybe 10 or so of my 400 odd arrivals over the years).
Old May 12, 2023, 3:50 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Technically speaking, it's a legal requirement. Travel between CTA nations is only free for citizens of either country - not for third country nationals. A passport, or passport card, still remains the best way to prove citizenship - although I believe others would of course be accepted. The UK just elects, for some reason, not to impose any checks.
stifle and Teplane like this.
Old May 13, 2023, 12:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
When travelling US (or anywhere) > DUB > UK, do you go through Irish immigration? Does it vary by terminal at DUB?

I didn't think it was possible, as the UK wouldn't be happy with international arrivals bypassing UK immigration, but someone on another forum is claiming that they always travel US to UK without any checks at all. Yes if you have a problem with your UK visa, going via DUB avoids UKBF though I believe there is some data sharing. But they are saying there are no immigration controls at all, including in Ireland.

They also claimed that during COVID, they did not have to fill in any PLFs when flying from the US, because they weren't entering Ireland so exempt from Irish PLF, yet they were coming from Ireland to the UK so exempt from UK PLF. Was that true?

(Of course when flying US > LHR > DUB you have to go through UK immigration, LHR biometrics and then Irish immigration which is kind of pointless - but I guess it has to be done for consistency with DUB flyers coming from landside at LHR.)
Old May 13, 2023, 4:06 am

Yes, if you travel US-DUB-UK you enter the CTA in Dublin and that's where you clear immigration. It's an anomoly given the UK stance on other things including Schengen which I believe Ireland would have joined but was unable to because of the border on the island of Ireland when the UK refused to participate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.