Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Passport/ID checks at irish Airport for UK arrivals

Passport/ID checks at irish Airport for UK arrivals

Old May 13, 2023, 4:47 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
The CTA is complex, but the Irish and UK immigration systems are connected and you can be refused in Dublin if Irish immigration view that you would not be admissible in UK. So there isn't a backdoor at Dublin airport.

It all started in 1997 where the rules changed to check arrivals https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/.../made/en/print
Old May 15, 2023, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by :D!
When travelling US (or anywhere) > DUB > UK, do you go through Irish immigration?
Yes.
Does it vary by terminal at DUB?
Yes, at terminal 2 there are 3 different possible places, and at terminal 1 you are funnelled through the same arrivals route as everyone else.
I didn't think it was possible, as the UK wouldn't be happy with international arrivals bypassing UK immigration, but someone on another forum is claiming that they always travel US to UK without any checks at all. Yes if you have a problem with your UK visa, going via DUB avoids UKBF though I believe there is some data sharing. But they are saying there are no immigration controls at all, including in Ireland.
They're wrong. You have to pass through controls in Ireland, and it's reasonable to assume that they have access to Home Office systems where needed. They have an explicit right to refuse a passenger entry to Ireland where they believe the passenger's intent is to travel onwards to the UK and would not be admissible there (section 4 (3) (h) Immigration Act 2004).
They also claimed that during COVID, they did not have to fill in any PLFs when flying from the US, because they weren't entering Ireland so exempt from Irish PLF, yet they were coming from Ireland to the UK so exempt from UK PLF. Was that true?
No. They still should have been completing a UK PLF, although it might not have been checked.
Old May 15, 2023, 9:39 am

I flew into LBA recently and there were ID checks on arrival. That's the first time I've ever seen one.
Old May 23, 2023, 4:49 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
However, I believe US->DUB->UK is a complete avoidance of UK customs, is it not? There are no actual customs checks for CTA flights.
Old May 24, 2023, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
However, I believe US->DUB->UK is a complete avoidance of UK customs, is it not? There are no actual customs checks for CTA flights.
Incorrect.
Old May 24, 2023, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If these US-originating passengers don't have to exit through the red or green customs channel once they've retrieved their luggage, how do they exit the airport?
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 4:01 am

Wrong, on arrival you by pass immigration and enter the baggage claim area for international arrivals which you leave through the red or green channel just like everyone else.
Old May 24, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Correct, you will encounter a Red/Green channel scenario on exit.

Say LHR
T2, bags for todays EI164 are on belt 3 which is in the international arrivals area, not on belts 1 or 2 in the separate domestic area.
T5, bags for todays BA831 are on belt 5 which is in the international arrivals area, not on belts 1 or 2 in the separate domestic area.

This is why there are only 2 gates at T2 and T5 LHR which can cope with an arrival from Ireland as they need to bypass passport control but need to enter the international arrivals hall
mccartje and alserire like this.
Old May 24, 2023, 11:08 am

It has to be added though that on my weekly commutes I never see anyone at UK customs for any of the flights arriving in T2 unless there are specific flights they target .
alserire likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by ROKNA
Correct, you will encounter a Red/Green channel scenario on exit.

Say LHR
T2, bags for todays EI164 are on belt 3 which is in the international arrivals area, not on belts 1 or 2 in the separate domestic area.
T5, bags for todays BA831 are on belt 5 which is in the international arrivals area, not on belts 1 or 2 in the separate domestic area.

This is why there are only 2 gates at T2 and T5 LHR which can cope with an arrival from Ireland as they need to bypass passport control but need to enter the international arrivals hall
6 at T2 (A21-26) but the point still stands.

On the other hand, at LGW arrivals from Ireland are bussed to the domestic baggage reclaim entrance and that is where their bags go too. Anyone needing to make a customs declaration is supposed to use the red phone.

Originally Posted by DELLAS
It has to be added though that on my weekly commutes I never see anyone at UK customs for any of the flights arriving in T2 unless there are specific flights they target .
I haven't seen a UKBF officer at customs all year despite frequent travel to multiple ports. Perhaps they are all covering immigration.
DELLAS likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 3:17 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
[QUOTE=stifle;35279748]6 at T2 (A21-26) but the point still stands.

On the other hand, at LGW arrivals from Ireland are bussed to the domestic baggage reclaim entrance and that is where their bags go too. Anyone needing to make a customs declaration is supposed to use the red phone.

I haven't seen a UKBF officer at customs all year despite frequent travel to multiple ports. Perhaps they are all covering immigration.[/QUOTE

Last two flights to London recently were to LGW. No buses. Arrived at gate and walked straight out. One baggage belt on the way for all domestic arrivals.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:42 am

I think without stating the obvious, the old customs approaches of a visible presence and someone sternly eyeballing you walking past isnt the way they do things anymore. It is intelligence led, makes more use of technology and being realistic, is less focused on that Apple MacBook or the nice set of golf clubs you bought on your trip. Plus, the corridor you walk through has one way glass 😉
alserire likes this.

Last edited by Kgmm77; May 26, 2023 at 11:44 am
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:04 pm

US Passport flying into Dublin from England

As a US passport-holder, I may be flying from England over to Dublin. If I use the eGates, will I still have to wait for some kind of personal interview?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:15 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by coloneltom
As a US passport-holder, I may be flying from England over to Dublin. If I use the eGates, will I still have to wait for some kind of personal interview?

Uniess Im missing something. You cannot use a US passport in Dublins E gates to enter the country, only to transfer, once youre not going to the Uk. Youll have to pass through the usual control with an officer checking your passport. .
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:09 pm

Correct Egates are valid only for EEA and UK nationals in Dublin as they do not need a stamp so you will come face to face with an immigration officer.

If transferring to US/CA its a fairly quick check as if you try to leave at that point you have to pass through immigration and customs anyway to escape.
alserire likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.