Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

What's faster - TSA prescreen or regular in DUB?

Old May 8, 2023, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

I'll be flying to DUB and I have about 1.5hr layover to USA (both legs with Aer Lingus). I know that Dublin airport has TSA prescreen that makes it easier to enter US, but I'm not really concerned about the time it takes once I have off the plane in US. So I'd rather spend less time in DUB lines, maybe spend more time in lounge if I can. So what would be faster, doing TSA prescreen in DUB or avoid it?
Old May 8, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
No choice in Dublin if flying to the US you MUST clear TSA/CBP
Old May 8, 2023, 2:07 pm

.and if youre eligible, there is a lounge post pre-clearance. If your first flight is on time you should get a bit of time in the lounge.
catopillar and AlanA like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: IHG Gold, BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Silver, Accor Silver, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Dublin Airport does not have TSA (Transportation Security Administration), prescreen or otherwise. Security checks at Dublin airport are provided by ASU.

If you meant United States Customs and Border Protection preclearance, you do not get to choose whether you go through it on a flight to the USA. You have to go through it, unless for some reason your flight isn't using it (rare) in which case you have to go through USCBP when you land,
catopillar likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
Dublin Airport does not have TSA (Transportation Security Administration), prescreen or otherwise. Security checks at Dublin airport are provided by ASU.

If you meant United States Customs and Border Protection preclearance, you do not get to choose whether you go through it on a flight to the USA. You have to go through it, unless for some reason your flight isn't using it (rare) in which case you have to go through USCBP when you land,
Got it, thanks, yeah, I mixed up the terminology
Old May 10, 2023, 1:52 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by catopillar
Got it, thanks, yeah, I mixed up the terminology
Which is unforgivable for some who post on here 🤪
mailliW and ferg01 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

I'll be flying to DUB and I have about 1.5hr layover to USA (both legs with Aer Lingus). I know that Dublin airport has TSA prescreen that makes it easier to enter US, but I'm not really concerned about the time it takes once I have off the plane in US. So I'd rather spend less time in DUB lines, maybe spend more time in lounge if I can. So what would be faster, doing TSA prescreen in DUB or avoid it?
Update after the flight - I was one of the first people off the plane since I was sitting close to the front and the 1.5hr was just enough time to make to the next flight. I came to the gate about 15 minutes before boarding started. One caveat was that I was selected for secondary selective screening so that added about 10-15 minutes. When I was flying there were very few people going through the screening, so my 1.5 hour layover was pretty comfortable. If this was a different time, that would definitely be more stressful.
FlightDetective and RMDrive like this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: IHG Gold, BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Silver, Accor Silver, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I came to the gate about 15 minutes before boarding started. One caveat was that I was selected for secondary selective screening so that added about 10-15 minutes.
I understood that SSSS at Dublin is carried out at the basement security checkpoint rather than at the gate, is that not still the case?
Old Aug 19, 2023, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

I understood that SSSS at Dublin is carried out at the basement security checkpoint rather than at the gate, is that not still the case?
It was actually in the same space as the regular screening. There was a separate line for SSSS flagged customers. It was actually not too bad, the staff tried to be pretty fast about it and were very efficient in doing the extra checks.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 8:58 pm

?? The US immigration and security for US connections is all in the "basement" (actually I think it's level with the ground but it sure feels like going into a basement). I'm surprised it took so long, the US security line was always pretty quick in my experience. Immigration is usually pretty quick too but it can vary.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 4:03 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Its all done within the CBP area. You either get SSSS on the boarding card or picked up locally when the boarding card scan takes place. Its quite efficient

You get pulled aside when you enter the CBP security screen and sent to a dedicated channel at the far end, if the regular channels are busy it might even be faster to be SSSS'ed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.