FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   EU 261 Compensation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/2104208-eu-261-compensation.html)

ocfafc Dec 15, 2022 8:29 am

EU 261 Compensation

My flight on Nov. 30th from SEA to DUB (EI52) was cancelled for an engine problem. We boarded at 7:30 pm and due to snow and deicing we finally taxied at 9:00 pm. Then the turn-around and taxi back to the gate with the pilot stating there was an engine issue. Mechanics worked on the issue for several hours and then around 1:30 am we taxied for takeoff only to return the gate a few minutes later with the pilot stating the same issue came up again. At 2:00 am we were told the flight is cancelled and to disembark the plane. Ultimately we were rebooked on a morning flight to ORD with Alaska and then caught EI122 to Dublin. We then transited DUB and flew on to DUS arriving a day later then scheduled. Quite the hassle since our bags arrived another 36 hours later at our hotel. However... better the engine issue on the ground then over the North Atlantic! LOL

A few days later I received an email from Aer Lingus stating that we were entitled to and approved EU 261 Comp of 1262 dollars US. Aer Lingus requested banking information. I provided it via the link they provided. Can anyone with experience with EU 261 and Aer Lingus share with me the time frame I can expect payment?

I appreciate any comments or experiences that you can share! Thanks!

hugolover Dec 15, 2022 9:54 am

EI proactively contacted you to inform you that they would pay you 1262 USD? That's incredible. Well done to EI.

ocfafc Dec 15, 2022 1:57 pm

I was surprised also......but to be honest I'm not sure if the email regarding EU261 was generated when I started the process for getting my luggage and asking questions about reimbursement for having to buy a few basic clothing items to tide us over until out baggage arrived at our hotel 36 hours later. I had to write a narrative about the flight cancellation and what flights I was rebooked onto during the search for our luggage.

Intl359Widget Jan 5, 2023 9:54 am

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 34836640)
EI proactively contacted you to inform you that they would pay you 1262 USD? That's incredible. Well done to EI.

That's shocking considering I am still waiting for them to pay me from October... ridiculous.

Dog250 Jan 10, 2023 12:42 pm

I put in a claim for a canceled Emerald flight back in November. I got an email from Aer Lingus saying they've passed it onto Emerald but haven't heard anything since...

Wonder how long it'll take to show up...

Intl359Widget Jan 11, 2023 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dog250 (Post 34911815)
I put in a claim for a canceled Emerald flight back in November. I got an email from Aer Lingus saying they've passed it onto Emerald but haven't heard anything since...

Wonder how long it'll take to show up...

I haven't heard back either and they didn't pass it onto Emerald when they replied asking for more information on the interim expenses.

What is the next legal course of action? Report to UK CAA that Aer Lingus is not following EC 261?

Dog250 Jan 12, 2023 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget (Post 34915929)
I haven't heard back either and they didn't pass it onto Emerald when they replied asking for more information on the interim expenses.

What is the next legal course of action? Report to UK CAA that Aer Lingus is not following EC 261?

Think that might be the correct way to proceed.
I don't think Aer Lingus or Emerald are signed up to CEDR or similar (dispute resolution service).

​​​​​​Let me know how you get on.

Thanks!

ROKNA Jan 12, 2023 9:28 am

Surely you file with https://www.aviationreg.ie/ Irish registered carrier (well I assume this was before they started flying on UK reg out of BFS)

Dog250 Jan 12, 2023 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA (Post 34918007)
Surely you file with https://www.aviationreg.ie/ Irish registered carrier (well I assume this was before they started flying on UK reg out of BFS)

​​​​​​I'm not sure about the 'intl359' but my route was GLA-BHD. So would've been operated by Emerald UK as far as I know.

Thanks!

Dog250 Jan 12, 2023 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget (Post 34915929)

HI!
​​ I've found the claims email address for Emerald airlines

​​​​​[email protected]

Could try sending them an email and see how you get on.
I've sent one too but I'm not holding up much hope.

Best of luck!

odie11 Jan 15, 2023 11:32 am

Question on this...my daughter's boyfriend was bumped from his EI flight yesterday JFK-DUB-BRU. They offered to put him on the direct Delta flight to JFK-BRU which arrived 40 minutes earlier; he accepted it. Is he entitled to compensation for being denied boarding? He checked in at the airport three plus hours before departure. Thank you.

mccartje Jan 15, 2023 11:43 am

Originally Posted by odie11 (Post 34927218)
Question on this...my daughter's boyfriend was bumped from his EI flight yesterday JFK-DUB-BRU. They offered to put him on the direct Delta flight to JFK-BRU which arrived 40 minutes earlier; he accepted it. Is he entitled to compensation for being denied boarding? He checked in at the airport three plus hours before departure. Thank you.

Sounds like he should pay EI more for putting him on a better flight. I don't think he's due anything unless a change of class was involved.

odie11 Jan 15, 2023 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by mccartje (Post 34927246)
Sounds like he should pay EI more for putting him on a better flight. I don't think he's due anything unless a change of class was involved.

Ha...I agree...and if it was us I would not even pursue it but as a young broke college student, if he is entitled to it by law, then I would tell him to look into it. He did have to sit at the airport for five hours waiting for the new flight but of course, better than sitting in a cramped plane!

mccartje Jan 15, 2023 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by odie11 (Post 34927337)
Ha...I agree...and if it was us I would not even pursue it but as a young broke college student, if he is entitled to it by law, then I would tell him to look into it. He did have to sit at the airport for five hours waiting for the new flight but of course, better than sitting in a cramped plane!

Can't begrudge a little grift as a student! But as he didn't arrive late there is no compensation but maybe he might be due some duty of care at the airport in terms of meal voucher or reimbursement but I'd say that'd be more hassle than it's worth to try and claim.

odie11 Jan 15, 2023 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by mccartje (Post 34927375)
Can't begrudge a little grift as a student! But as he didn't arrive late there is no compensation but maybe he might be due some duty of care at the airport in terms of meal voucher or reimbursement but I'd say that'd be more hassle than it's worth to try and claim.

Thanks. I could not tell from what I had read if compensation for denied boarding was tied to how many hours late you arrive or whether that doesn't matter and being denied was in and of itself due compensation. I will tell so sorry and that he had better start saving for his flight back this summer!