DUB-CLE announced

Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:14 am
  #1  
soy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DUB-BOS
Programs: various
Posts: 3,622
DUB-CLE announced

DUB-CLE announced 4x weekly from next May with A321. EI website already updated. Apparently a $2.5m incentive package swung the deal
Long flight on an uncomfortable plane IMO
soy is offline  
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:16 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Posts: 877
Can’t imagine any reason why I’d take that flight. Be interesting to see the load numbers.
alserire is offline  
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:22 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CLE
Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 260
As a traveler based in Cleveland, this is exciting news. I don't see enough demand on a CLE-DUB route to maintain year round. Maybe seasonally. But the bigger win is having another option going to Europe, connecting through DUB. Aer Lingus tends to have very reasonable flight prices on transatlantic flights.
trmbn65 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:45 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Posts: 564
To put this in perspective, there are approximately 25 million US residents for whom this new CLE-DUB flight will be the only LCC TATL flight option within a 3.5 hour drive of their home.

25 million people (with USA household incomes no less) is a large market. The Republic of Ireland in total has 5.1 million residents in comparison. This flight will market well in connecting a large audience of US residents to Europe, at a lower cost than what is charged by BA/DL/VS/KL/etc.
mccartje likes this.
kavok is offline  
Old Sep 28, 2022, 2:17 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Posts: 877
Originally Posted by kavok
To put this in perspective, there are approximately 25 million US residents for whom this new CLE-DUB flight will be the only LCC TATL flight option within a 3.5 hour drive of their home.

25 million people (with USA household incomes no less) is a large market. The Republic of Ireland in total has 5.1 million residents in comparison. This flight will market well in connecting a large audience of US residents to Europe, at a lower cost than what is charged by BA/DL/VS/KL/etc.
Interesting. Wasn't thinking of it from the other way around. Could do well for them so.
alserire is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2022, 4:11 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Posts: 28,442
Originally Posted by kavok
To put this in perspective, there are approximately 25 million US residents for whom this new CLE-DUB flight will be the only LCC TATL flight option within a 3.5 hour drive of their home.

25 million people (with USA household incomes no less) is a large market. The Republic of Ireland in total has 5.1 million residents in comparison. This flight will market well in connecting a large audience of US residents to Europe, at a lower cost than what is charged by BA/DL/VS/KL/etc.
Despite all that, this route will struggle and will probably disappear, like BDL did, once the support is no longer forthcoming unless some local businesses keep an ongoing commitment to buy a certain number of seats going forward.
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2022, 4:36 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 91
And what quant luggage rules will apply uniquely to this route?
imkevinmc is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:19 am
  #8  
soy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DUB-BOS
Programs: various
Posts: 3,622
Originally Posted by imkevinmc
And what quant luggage rules will apply uniquely to this route?
I would not expect any special rules. Will be the standard EI TATAL allowance. Y fares that include a checked bag get 1x23kg and J fares get 3x that
irishguy28 likes this.
soy is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:39 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA, UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Posts: 767
The route certainly won't survive if the onward connections via DUB are as limited as they appear to be now. I assume this has to do with aircraft availability and scheduling? No connections to southern Europe at all (Italy/Spain/Portugal) and few to Germany. I hope the schedules are tweaked between now and next May! Is EI still finalizing summer schedules?
becks1 likes this.
guy44134 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:13 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,800
Aer Lingus are indeed still finalising the European schedules for next year while the majority are already in place .
guy44134 and becks1 like this.
DELLAS is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: $9 Fare Club
Posts: 1,448
Originally Posted by guy44134
The route certainly won't survive if the onward connections via DUB are as limited as they appear to be now. I assume this has to do with aircraft availability and scheduling? No connections to southern Europe at all (Italy/Spain/Portugal) and few to Germany. I hope the schedules are tweaked between now and next May! Is EI still finalizing summer schedules?
It'll survive for 3 years with the subsidies at a minimum.

There's basically no space for an earlier departure from DUB to enable the return flight to arrive in time for the first bank of outbound continental Europe flights. Pre-clearance in DUB from 9am-12pm is bursting at the seams as it is.

It'll be a very cheap way to get to/from London with 1 connection, which I imagine is crucial for loads on the US bound leg.
becks1 likes this.
ChurnieEls is offline  
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:07 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Despite all that, this route will struggle and will probably disappear, like BDL did, once the support is no longer forthcoming unless some local businesses keep an ongoing commitment to buy a certain number of seats going forward.
BDL recommences March 2023
mailliW is offline  
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:18 pm
  #13  
soy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DUB-BOS
Programs: various
Posts: 3,622
Originally Posted by mailliW
BDL recommences March 2023
Indeed, daily on A321 from March to October
Full details on BDL here.....https://mediacentre.aerlingus.com/ne...rket-expansion
soy is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:53 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: AA US
Posts: 378
Originally Posted by mailliW
BDL recommences March 2023
Will Aer Lingus be benefitting from any subsidies or revenue guarantees on this route?
RobS is offline  
Old May 14, 2023, 4:48 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA, UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Posts: 767
DUB-CLE-DUB starts on Friday 19 May. Anyone booked on the inaugural flights? Wonder how loads are?
guy44134 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.