Strange API issue, and solution

Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Platinum
Strange API issue, and solution

I have an Avios award flight booked on EI. When I tried to add API on the EI website, it let me enter all the data and then failed with "Oops! We couldn't add this data... dashboard.apis.failure". I tried several times with different browsers, incognito mode etc. over several days.

It turns out there are two 6-character locators for my booking. I had been using the "booking reference". Entering the "check-in reference" instead allowed me to successfully save the API details. (See image)

It's strange that the website will accept either of these locators and show me the flight details in both cases, but only the check-in one works for adding API.

Anyway, I hope this helps somebody out. A quick Google search shows that adding API has been an issue for years on EI.

irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by johnslater; Aug 3, 2022 at 4:39 pm Reason: more details
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Same problem exists with BA Executive Club redemptions on EI, but they don’t show the “check-in reference” as the AerClub bookings do.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
You need to use the reference beginning with 2
johnslater likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Good tip, thanks. Mine indeed begins with 2.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Same problem exists with BA Executive Club redemptions on EI, but they don’t show the “check-in reference” as the AerClub bookings do.
Entering my booking reference into the Aer Lingus Android app revealed the check-in reference - that's actually how I discovered that there is a separate locator. So that may be worth a try with a BA booking reference too.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johnslater
Entering my booking reference into the Aer Lingus Android app revealed the check-in reference - that's actually how I discovered that there is a separate locator. So that may be worth a try with a BA booking reference too.
Thanks. Downloaded the android app, consulted my BAEC reward booking (all flights on EI, booked under EI flightcodes) and it *DOES* show the EI reference.

Thanks!!!!

EDIT: This did indeed enable me to input the Advance Passenger Information

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 4, 2022 at 7:22 am
Old Nov 10, 2023, 6:15 pm

Bumping this because I made an Avios booking via BA and cannot find my EI confirmation # on the app or elsewhere - I'm getting the dashboards.api.failure route on the website and using the EI app does not show the confirmation # on the handful of screens I can access. Can't seem to find the EI conf or assign a seat on ba.com either.

Any recs? I literally just want to assign a seat and am willing to pay if need be. Hoping it's just me missing something and not just the state of EI's IT in 2023, bc that seems a tad ridiculous if so.

Last edited by lowfareair; Nov 10, 2023 at 6:28 pm
Old Nov 12, 2023, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Any recs? I literally just want to assign a seat and am willing to pay if need be. Hoping it's just me missing something and not just the state of EI's IT in 2023, bc that seems a tad ridiculous if so.
Telephone Aer Lingus - the US number is here - https://www.aerlingus.com/support/cu...re/contact-us/

Just have your ticket number ready, which is 125-xxxxxxxxxx on a BA ticket. The person answering the phone should be able to find your booking that way and then assign a seat.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 4:46 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
This ringing nonsense.

is there any other way to get EI to assign a seat purchased with Avios? Concierge email? Twitter? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by alserire
This ringing nonsense.

is there any other way to get EI to assign a seat purchased with Avios? Concierge email? Twitter? Anyone have any experience with this?
I’ve always been able to get a seat assigned by contacting EI on Twitter when booking an avios flight
soy and lowfareair like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I’ve always been able to get a seat assigned by contacting EI on Twitter when booking an avios flight

Grand. Thanks.
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:13 am

This ringing nonsense.

Considering there is usually almost no wait time when calling EI, I don't see why people keep trying to do it the hard way. Also, if the seat attracts a fee, they can't do it on social media as they can't take payments that way, so you'll usually be asked to call unless you're happy with one of the standard seats down the back.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Considering there is usually almost no wait time when calling EI, I don't see why people keep trying to do it the hard way. Also, if the seat attracts a fee, they can't do it on social media as they can't take payments that way, so you'll usually be asked to call unless you're happy with one of the standard seats down the back.
But really all that should be doable online. If you can manage a normal fare with an Aer Lingus reference number surely it can’t be that difficult to link the Avios booking in there. There’s no need for a phone call.
DELLAS likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 5:13 am

But really all that should be doable online. If you can manage a normal fare with an Aer Lingus reference number surely it can’t be that difficult to link the Avios booking in there. There’s no need for a phone call.
I agree, it should be indeed. I'm sure they're on it!
alserire likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.