Aer Lingus: never again

Old Jun 4, 22, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Aer Lingus: never again

I can’t get through to them to change mine and my daughter’s flights because of the fit to fly certificate issues. I’ve been on hold for an hour and 20 minutes and I have no hope anyone will answer because people are reporting on Twitter that they just don’t answer anymore.

I don’t know what to do. I can cancel my booking and request a refund (but is that even correct. I wanted help moving the booking to Shannon airport and on a different day), but I can’t even do anything with my daughters because her booking says it wasn’t made on aer lingus. Technically, I guess that is true as an agent moved her booking the first time because of her Covid diagnosis.

Does anyone know what will happen if we can’t fix this by Monday and we end up not showing up because my daughter can’t fly yet?

What a nightmare.

1:25 minutes on hold now. At what point would you hang up? I don’t know what to do here?

thanks for any advice. At least I paid via Amex so maybe I’ll have some recourse if I lose the bookings?
Old Jun 4, 22, 2:43 pm

Programs: AerClub - Silver
Originally Posted by whitewave View Post
I can’t get through to them to change mine and my daughter’s flights because of the fit to fly certificate issues. I’ve been on hold for an hour and 20 minutes and I have no hope anyone will answer because people are reporting on Twitter that they just don’t answer anymore.

I don’t know what to do. I can cancel my booking and request a refund (but is that even correct. I wanted help moving the booking to Shannon airport and on a different day), but I can’t even do anything with my daughters because her booking says it wasn’t made on aer lingus. Technically, I guess that is true as an agent moved her booking the first time because of her Covid diagnosis.

Does anyone know what will happen if we can’t fix this by Monday and we end up not showing up because my daughter can’t fly yet?

What a nightmare.

1:25 minutes on hold now. At what point would you hang up? I don’t know what to do here?

thanks for any advice. At least I paid via Amex so maybe I’ll have some recourse if I lose the bookings?
I don't understand. What do you mean an agent moved her booking? Who did you book the flights with and who is this agent?

All fares except saver are eligible for a refund voucher and that can be done online, once the booking was made direct with EI. On the little info you have given that might be your best option
BearX220 and whitewave like this.

Last edited by alserire; Jun 4, 22 at 2:50 pm
Old Jun 4, 22, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alserire View Post
I don't understand. What do you mean an agent moved her booking? Who did you book the flights with and who is this agent?
I booked on the aer lingus website. She couldn’t come home because she was diagnosed with Covid so an aer lingus phone agent detached her from my son (they were booked together and he was able to go home) and rebooked her to return on Monday (based on CDC guidance: that whole saga is on the coronavirus board). Now her new booking won’t let me touch it.

My booing I guess I can cancel, but then what happens to that money?
Old Jun 4, 22, 3:21 pm

I booked on the aer lingus website. She couldnít come home because she was diagnosed with Covid so an aer lingus phone agent detached her from my son (they were booked together and he was able to go home) and rebooked her to return on Monday (based on CDC guidance: that whole saga is on the coronavirus board). Now her new booking wonít let me touch it.

My booing I guess I can cancel, but then what happens to that money?
In that case you are going to have to speak
to agent. Iím told they respond quickly to messages on Twitter. Also a message on Facebook May get a
response tomorrow. And just keep calling unfortunately.
farci and whitewave like this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

alserire thanks, I’m on hold. Got a reply around the 2 hour on hold mark! And I am much relieved to change to SNN given all the issues with DUB (I really can’t deal with much more stress… this Covid ordeal with my daughter has been something).
alserire likes this.
Old Jun 7, 22, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Iíve been waiting since 2 days ago on Twitter messages to get our seats assigned and since 11 am yesterday since I gave them the relevant information they asked for.

This is the pits.
Old Jun 8, 22, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Welp, it took aer lingus so long to help me that now they can’t select seats because it’s within 72 hours of flight.

never again
Old Jun 8, 22, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Welp, it took aer lingus so long to help me that now they can’t select seats because it’s within 72 hours of flight.

never again
Can you explain your seat selection issue?

Do you have a Saver, Smart or Flex ticket?

Saver tickets don't come with a free advance seat selection, but you can pay on the website to select any seat (prices starting from $29.99).
Smart and Flex fares include free choice of a "Standard" seat, but you can pay on the website to select any "better" seat (prices starting from $24.99).

If your ticket choice included a free standard seat, or if you wish to pay for any "better" seat, you will have the option again during online check-in.
Old Jun 8, 22, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Can you explain your seat selection issue?

Do you have a Saver, Smart or Flex ticket?

Saver tickets don't come with a free advance seat selection, but you can pay on the website to select any seat (prices starting from $29.99).
Smart and Flex fares include free choice of a "Standard" seat, but you can pay on the website to select any "better" seat (prices starting from $24.99).

If your ticket choice included a free standard seat, or if you wish to pay for any "better" seat, you will have the option again during online check-in.
Thanks, because my daughter had Covid in Ireland, we had to move flights. When we did that by waiting 2 hours on the phone, it took away our ability to manage our flights online. FWIW, I would pay extra to select seatsó I donít have a problem with that. But they took too long to help, so now we canít.

But your post has informed me that not having a seat might be a common occurrence so I should remain calm? My daughter has been here since May 24, so she is desperate to get home (no offense)Ö.

At least we changed to flying out of SNN so I have been told it will be much less hectic at the airportÖ
Old Jun 8, 22, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
But your post has informed me that not having a seat might be a common occurrence so I should remain calm?
Not having a seat is the default occurrence. On every airline. But especially those where most customers are expected to pay to select a seat in advance.
whitewave and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 8, 22, 3:10 am
Original Poster

irishguy28 ok thanks. I was worried about getting bumped.
Old Jun 8, 22, 3:28 am

irishguy28 ok thanks. I was worried about getting bumped.
Aer Lingus do not oversell their flights.
whitewave likes this.
Old Jun 8, 22, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alserire View Post
Aer Lingus do not oversell their flights.
Great. I will give them applause for that. 👏🏻
alserire likes this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 11:15 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, Air Canada, United, Delta, American, Jet Blue
I’m on hold. Got a reply around the 2 hour on hold mark!
I WISH I'd got a reply at the 2 hour mark!

I'm currently trying to book flights, need help (points upgrade, companion ticket, etc) and have been in the phone queue for 4 hours and 4 minutes. Yes, I know, I should get a life, but I need to get this done.

After the first hour and 3 minutes, someone picked up (Hallelujah!), only to quickly hang up on my call (WHAAT??) Being stubborn, I've called back, but at this point I'm only waiting out of some perverse curiosity to see if my call will ever be answered. Perhaps the whole NY call centre has gone out to lunch? Permanently? I think the pandemic has gutted the organization.

I tried reaching out on Facebook, and by email to customer service (plenty of time as I wait for someone to pick up the phone), but I expect that could take days. Don't have a Twitter account.

Does anyone have any other ways of reaching out to Aer Lingus?
hugolover and whitewave like this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ringlets View Post
I WISH I'd got a reply at the 2 hour mark!

I'm currently trying to book flights, need help (points upgrade, companion ticket, etc) and have been in the phone queue for 4 hours and 4 minutes. Yes, I know, I should get a life, but I need to get this done.

After the first hour and 3 minutes, someone picked up (Hallelujah!), only to quickly hang up on my call (WHAAT??) Being stubborn, I've called back, but at this point I'm only waiting out of some perverse curiosity to see if my call will ever be answered. Perhaps the whole NY call centre has gone out to lunch? Permanently? I think the pandemic has gutted the organization.

I tried reaching out on Facebook, and by email to customer service (plenty of time as I wait for someone to pick up the phone), but I expect that could take days. Don't have a Twitter account.

Does anyone have any other ways of reaching out to Aer Lingus?
OMG that is outrageous. Iím sorry you have to wait so long. When the lady finally picked up after 2 hours, she sounded mean and defeated, but I sugar talked her so she would be nice lol. Itís crazy.

The only ways I know are Twitter, FB messenger, and call.

Search this Thread