Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance on Avios.com Aer Lingus booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue

Hello everyone, I booked an award ticket on Avios.com with Aer Lingus from Orlando to Dublin and then onto Edinburgh (MCO-DUB-EDI), and I'm struggling to understand the baggage allowance.
Is it 20kg or 23kg? The wording on the ticket says 20kg:

When I go into manage my booking on Aer Lingus it says 23kg:

On the app it sees it as a Smart fare, which according to the Aer Lingus website has a 23kg allowance.

For the hand-luggage I just realised that being the second flight operated by Emerald on an ATR-72, I'm only allowed a smaller 7kg cabin bag, rather than the usual 55x40x25 you get on most aircrafts. I was under the impression that in case your bag was bigger than the ATR-72 size, it would be put in the hold at the gate for free, but apparently that is not the case on Aer Lingus. Any first-hand experience? I don't mind not taking the cabin bag with me onboard, but the restricted size and weight do make a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
Originally Posted by eugeniod1995
Hello everyone, I booked an award ticket on Avios.com with Aer Lingus from Orlando to Dublin and then onto Edinburgh (MCO-DUB-EDI), and I'm struggling to understand the baggage allowance.
Is it 20kg or 23kg? The wording on the ticket says 20kg:

When I go into manage my booking on Aer Lingus it says 23kg:

On the app it sees it as a Smart fare, which according to the Aer Lingus website has a 23kg allowance.

For the hand-luggage I just realised that being the second flight operated by Emerald on an ATR-72, I'm only allowed a smaller 7kg cabin bag, rather than the usual 55x40x25 you get on most aircrafts. I was under the impression that in case your bag was bigger than the ATR-72 size, it would be put in the hold at the gate for free, but apparently that is not the case on Aer Lingus. Any first-hand experience? I don't mind not taking the cabin bag with me onboard, but the restricted size and weight do make a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help

There's a specific baggage thread below...

New Aer Lingus baggage policy on Saver fares

Subscribe
DELLAS , Feb 22, 22 9:37 pm
AVIOS redemptions are considered Plus bookings so 20KG and free "Green " zone seats if you call the reservations team to reserve . Really wish this was automated so you could select at time of booking on AVIOS . Would save a phone call.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by MM00LL2
There's a specific baggage thread below...

New Aer Lingus baggage policy on Saver fares

Subscribe
DELLAS , Feb 22, 22 9:37 pm
AVIOS redemptions are considered Plus bookings so 20KG and free "Green " zone seats if you call the reservations team to reserve . Really wish this was automated so you could select at time of booking on AVIOS . Would save a phone call.
Thanks MM00LL2, is it European or Transatlantic flights you're talking about? Because Plus fares are for European flights, according to the Aer Lingus website: https://www.aerlingus.com/plan-and-b...-within-europe
Old Mar 5, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
Originally Posted by eugeniod1995
Thanks MM00LL2, is it European or Transatlantic flights you're talking about? Because Plus fares are for European flights, according to the Aer Lingus website: https://www.aerlingus.com/plan-and-b...-within-europe
I deduce as Avios fares on shorthaul are equivalent to plus fares then on longhaul Avios fares should be equivalent to smart fares.
eugeniod1995 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.