Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

NCL-DUB Ex. Stobart Air route, cancelled or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:50 am
Original Poster

I've got an Avios booking for NCL-DUB in mid-August, coming back start of September. I know this used to be operated by Stobart Air and with their collapse I was expecting to receive a cancellation for these flights, but they still show as operating when I login to the Are Lingus website check the status with my booking reference.

However, if you check the route to book tickets (Google Flights / Skyscanner etc.), and also check available seats on Expert Flyer, it appears that they've stopped new bookings being made and blocked all seats (for all dates, not just mine). There was no mention of this route when Stobart Air collapsed which I was surprised about, but given they've stopped selling this route does not fill me full of confidence!

I've emailed them to query what's happening, as would prefer to get an alternative sorted sooner rather than later so as to avoid potential issues, but no reply from Are Lingus in over 2 weeks and no reply from their social media team either. So I was wondering if anyone has heard anything regards this route, or is perhaps in the same situation?

Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:24 am

Axed see last post :

Aer Lingus axes majority of European network for May and June
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Thanks for the reply, but unless I’m miss reading the table, that seems to indicate it’s cancelled from October 21 to March 22. The flights I have booked are in mid-August and the start of September. So still not a clear cut thing it seems.

Thanks anyway!
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
I had the same situation but with LBA/BHD in September. The flights did not get cancelled by EI and when I spoke to Avios, they told me the flights were still showing as operating but clearly this isn't the case. Avios offered me a full refund of the Avios and taxes without any problem. Avios back in my account within minutes and the taxes pending on my card. Give Avios a call and they'll sort it.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
I had the same situation but with LBA/BHD in September. The flights did not get cancelled by EI and when I spoke to Avios, they told me the flights were still showing as operating but clearly this isn't the case. Avios offered me a full refund of the Avios and taxes without any problem. Avios back in my account within minutes and the taxes pending on my card. Give Avios a call and they'll sort it.
Thats the thing, I’ll still need to get to Dublin on those days, so im wondering if they’d be obliged to get me there, perhaps via LHR with BA. I wish Aer Lingus would just say what’s happening with the route in August and September!

There’s still Ryanair flights, it’s just the outbound leg isn’t a great time, but if push came to shove it’s an option though.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by lvA6
Thanks for the reply, but unless I’m miss reading the table, that seems to indicate it’s cancelled from October 21 to March 22. The flights I have booked are in mid-August and the start of September. So still not a clear cut thing it seems.

Thanks anyway!
Those too are 100% canceled. Call Aer Lingus and ask for a refund or rebooking .
Old Jul 9, 2021, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Those too are 100% canceled. Call Aer Lingus and ask for a refund or rebooking .
They finally confirmed to me that the flights are cancelled (you were correct), but only in a round about way, by saying the flight has been changed to EDI-DUB.

Does anyone know if I within my rights to ask for a routing that leaves from Newcastle, say via LHR on BA (or worst case, Ryanair even), given EDI is a 2hr 40min drive, so not exactly round the corner or a cheap taxi ride? It's an Avios booking if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Last edited by lvA6; Jul 9, 2021 at 2:55 am
Old Jul 9, 2021, 4:12 am
Original Poster

They finally confirmed to me that the flights are cancelled (you were correct), but only in a round about way, by saying the flight has been changed to EDI-DUB.

Does anyone know if I within my rights to ask for a routing that leaves from Newcastle, say via LHR on BA (or worst case, Ryanair even), given EDI is a 2hr 40min drive, so not exactly round the corner or a cheap taxi ride? It's an Avios booking if that makes any difference.

Cheers
Just to add, I've managed to speak with both Are Lingus and Avios eventually, and they both say that the only options are that I accept the re-routing from EDI, or take a full refund. They won't book the BA via LHR option because it's an indirect flight apparently, and they won't offer any other alternative. It's around 3x the cost in Avios based on the availability and a bit more in ££ to fly with BA via LHR, despite this they won't budge.

If this is just the way it is, then so be it, just doesn't sound right to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Jul 9, 2021, 5:06 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Legally all they have to offer is a refund per EC261 as its more than 14 days in advance

Did you challenge them to pay fo the LNER train fare from EDI to NCL?
Old Jul 9, 2021, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROKNA
Legally all they have to offer is a refund per EC261 as its more than 14 days in advance

Did you challenge them to pay fo the LNER train fare from EDI to NCL?
Ah I understand now, didn't realise there was a 14 day limitation for flight cancellations re. getting them to rebook on a more suitable alternative. Plus I'd kind of assumed there would be more One World type flexibility with booking me on to BA via LHR (they said because it was two sectors they won't offer this).

I'd not discussed train fare, but the added issue regards getting a train up would be that the flight leaves at 8.50am, so would be no train option that would get us there on time on the day, so would mean an overnight stay as well.

You've got me thinking though, I see there are better flight times from Manchester, so if they could foot the bill for the direct train to MAN, then that could be an option, not ideal but in lieu of getting a routing via LHR on BA it's possibly the only other viable choice.

Thanks for answering the question as to why they won't re-book on a better flight though!
Old Jul 9, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
There is a slight crack in the rules, EI did offer an alternative (stupid as it might be) or a refund

The rules are unclear as to how far you can push the 'rerouting/rebooking' clause and it does specifically permit use of other transport modes and obligation to provide transport if the airport origin/destination changes

The option via MAN is viable alternative on EI metal they might rebook you vs EDI, mention EC261 rebooking obligation and see if they will fork out for the train
Old Jul 9, 2021, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROKNA
There is a slight crack in the rules, EI did offer an alternative (stupid as it might be) or a refund

The rules are unclear as to how far you can push the 'rerouting/rebooking' clause and it does specifically permit use of other transport modes and obligation to provide transport if the airport origin/destination changes

The option via MAN is viable alternative on EI metal they might rebook you vs EDI, mention EC261 rebooking obligation and see if they will fork out for the train
I'm going to wait until I get the official cancellation email, as currently it's still showing as operating (even though we know it's not), then call up and see if they'll play ball. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be re-routed with BA via LHR or reasonable of them to expect a family to get themselves to another airport that's such a distance, but that's just me! I don't want compensation, I just want to get to Dublin without too much hassle.

Cheers
Old Jul 9, 2021, 3:12 pm

Just to add, I've managed to speak with both Are Lingus and Avios eventually, and they both say that the only options are that I accept the re-routing from EDI, or take a full refund. They won't book the BA via LHR option because it's an indirect flight apparently, and they won't offer any other alternative. It's around 3x the cost in Avios based on the availability and a bit more in ££ to fly with BA via LHR, despite this they won't budge.
NCL-DUB: Unclear if EI has to provide transport from NCL to EDI. Presumably they have to, but it's not been legally tested.
DUB-NCL: EI has to provide transportation from EDI to NCL per Article 8.3 in Regulation 261/2004.

Ah I understand now, didn't realise there was a 14 day limitation for flight cancellations re. getting them to rebook on a more suitable alternative. Plus I'd kind of assumed there would be more One World type flexibility with booking me on to BA via LHR (they said because it was two sectors they won't offer this).
If the flight has been cancelled, then the airline always has to offer re-routing. It doesn't matter when the flight was cancelled. The regulation only has a 14-day limit for €250 compensation claims, but the rest of the regulation, including re-routing, applies regardless of when the flight was cancelled.

I'd not discussed train fare, but the added issue regards getting a train up would be that the flight leaves at 8.50am, so would be no train option that would get us there on time on the day, so would mean an overnight stay as well.
If you have to spend an extra night in a hotel, then EI has to provide a hotel for you and pay for your food for the duration of your delay.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Im a new user
NCL-DUB: Unclear if EI has to provide transport from NCL to EDI. Presumably they have to, but it's not been legally tested.
DUB-NCL: EI has to provide transportation from EDI to NCL per Article 8.3 in Regulation 261/2004.

If the flight has been cancelled, then the airline always has to offer re-routing. It doesn't matter when the flight was cancelled. The regulation only has a 14-day limit for €250 compensation claims, but the rest of the regulation, including re-routing, applies regardless of when the flight was cancelled.

If you have to spend an extra night in a hotel, then EI has to provide a hotel for you and pay for your food for the duration of your delay.
thanks for the input, much appreciated. By the sounds of it the agents were either uneducated on the matter or unwilling. Will give a try again next week.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Aer Lingus are denying they have to offer a comparable re-route. They are insisting I can only accept the EDI alternative (with no offer of covering additional costs) or take a refund. They actually won’t engage in even discussing a re-route, seemingly avoiding the question no matter how directly I ask it. I don’t think the people I’ve been speaking with understand that EC261 applies to more than just compensation (to be fair I didn’t either), and that for re-routing the 14 day limit does not apply.

All starting to get a little frustrating!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.