Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus to permanently close Shannon cabin crew base

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2021, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Aer Lingus is to permanently close its cabin crew base in Shannon in an effort to reduce costs.

81 cabin crew worked from the base and they will be offered either enhanced severance or where possible transfer to Dublin.

A further 45 ground staff in Shannon will remain laid off.

The airline is also to temporarily close its base at Cork Airport from September until late November due to planned work that will result in the runway there being shut down.

Currently around 60 ground staff and 138 cabin crew are employed there.

The company said it has also commenced a review of ground handling requirements in both Shannon and Cork airports.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/202...r-lingus-cork/
Old May 19, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by DELLAS

Aer Lingus is to permanently close its cabin crew base in Shannon in an effort to reduce costs.

81 cabin crew worked from the base and they will be offered either enhanced severance or where possible transfer to Dublin.

A further 45 ground staff in Shannon will remain laid off.

The airline is also to temporarily close its base at Cork Airport from September until late November due to planned work that will result in the runway there being shut down.

Currently around 60 ground staff and 138 cabin crew are employed there.

The company said it has also commenced a review of ground handling requirements in both Shannon and Cork airports.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/202...r-lingus-cork/
You would have to assume the SNN-LHR is dead?
Old May 19, 2021, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Id say it would be one of the few to survive but operated in what they call a W pattern by Dublin based crew . A lot cheaper for Aer Lingus that way.
Dambus and irishguy28 like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
If they could find a way to operate
JFK/BOS-SNN-LHR-DUB and swap crew at LHR as they already overnight crew at LHR?, I think its feasible Eastbound but not Westbound, then operate a W for a mid day and evening flight

Its disappointing but its clearly the right business choice, business is going to be down massively for years and its doubtful SNN was a major profit centre even in the good times.

There was a DUB-BRU-ORK-BRU-DUB in the past so it looks like we will see this again.
Old May 20, 2021, 4:56 am

Load factors were pretty good on snnlhr.

The loss of early morning flight to London will be a big loss .I guess if route was to continue ei are not going to overnight a crew near snn to operate an early morning flight
Old May 20, 2021, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mailliW
Load factors were pretty good on snnlhr.

The loss of early morning flight to London will be a big loss .I guess if route was to continue ei are not going to overnight a crew near snn to operate an early morning flight
Its hard to tell. Another way of thinking would be DUB new recruits are on a very different pay scale and T&Cs compared to legacy staff who may have joined the company at SNN over two decades ago. Coupled with hotels around SNN who will certainly not be full
the negotiated rates for crew might be 50-60% lower then what the public pay. So I would not rule it out.
Old May 20, 2021, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Its hard to tell. Another way of thinking would be DUB new recruits are on a very different pay scale and T&Cs compared to legacy staff who may have joined the company at SNN over two decades ago. Coupled with hotels around SNN who will certainly not be full
the negotiated rates for crew might be 50-60% lower then what the public pay. So I would not rule it out.
The snn crew were a great asset to the airline as you said bulk I would assume have 20plus years of service.

Potentially in a few years with a recovery in aviation sector they could reopen base with new recruits without legacy t&CS?

Prior to covid they had intended to run Paris and Barcelona a few times a week
Old May 20, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Load factors don't mean profit, easy fill a plane with below cost tickets, Ryanair are the master of that to bump off competition.

It was to be the year of growth and new destination and we are now back to the mid 90's

You could do
JFK-SNN - night stop, then next mornings SNN-LHR-SNN-LHR-DUB
BOS-SNN - night stop, then SNN-BCN/CDG to DUB

It is really messy and I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 years from now a base is reopened
Old Jun 3, 2021, 8:49 am

EI timetable still showing 3 x SNN/LHR flights to Dec 24th - is this accurate?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by stevie
EI timetable still showing 3 x SNN/LHR flights to Dec 24th - is this accurate?
Not sure they have given any indication if route will continue or not.

I hope it comes back in some format as I'm currently doing lhr-dub-kir to get to limerick
Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by mailliW
Not sure they have given any indication if route will continue or not.

I hope it comes back in some format as I'm currently doing lhr-dub-kir to get to limerick
Very little in the difference in the drive between Kir/Dub to Limerick FYI.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by stevie
Very little in the difference in the drive between Kir/Dub to Limerick FYI.
I don't think I have any other choice now

2 daily departures from snnlhr operating from mid Sept . 5pm and 920pm departures from snn
Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:22 pm

Cork airport closes In mid Sept for runway works so looks like a relocation of the ORK-LHR service
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:01 am

That 9pm flight is useless for connections...but as said it is the Cork slot.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:33 am

Anyone know what the load factors are like on daily lhr-snn?

Got a few trips booked post October but expecting a rerouting to Dublin for those once cork reopens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.