Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Berlin Changes - Brandenburg opens finally with a catch

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold

So all change in Berlin

Aer Lingus is moving to T2 at BER from November 7/8 (well they claim so as all tickets to BER are showing as arrive/depart T2.

Well they are not, BER T2 isn't open so they are moving to T5 which is just new name for SXF which EI left 4 years ago after numerous passenger complaints.

Wonder where EC261 sits with change of airport?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
According to the BER website, EI will use T1.

https://ber.berlin-airport.de/en/flying/airlines.html
Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
According to the BER website, EI will use T1.

https://ber.berlin-airport.de/en/flying/airlines.html
I'm going off https://www.aerotelegraph.com/zeitpl...m-ber-wechselt which matches with EI is ticketing to T2, but T2 isn't going to open.

Quick translation
Aer Lingus will switch from Tegel to T5 from November 7th to 8th, which should actually be in T2.
Will have to wait till Nov 8 to find out...

Last edited by ROKNA; Oct 22, 2020 at 7:31 am
Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Where can EC261 sit, when the initial airport is being closed and you are still being flown to the same airport city code? They will use T1 at BER.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Cant realy blame the airline for this eh?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Deckter
Where can EC261 sit, when the initial airport is being closed and you are still being flown to the same airport city code?
If the passenger was booked to TXL, then the passenger is entitled to transportation to TXL. I assume that a taxi can drop off the passenger outside TXL even if the airport is closed.

Article 8

Right to reimbursement or re-routing

3. When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.
You could maybe argue that the original flight has been cancelled, but I think that this is untested in the situation where an airport is closed. If it counts as a cancellation of the flight, then the passenger could choose to have the ticket cancelled and refunded.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by ROKNA
Will have to wait till Nov 8 to find out...
Not really. The BER web site says T1, so T1 it will be.

You will see from the web site, if you select T5, it is all the low cost and budget airlines. Ryanair, Wizz, Corendon, Freebird, Transavia, Condor and so on.

T1 is where all the real airlines are and Aer Lingus is among them. I'm sure they will move to T2 in due course, which is evident by the search box, which has Terminal 1 as a selection twice. No doubt one will become Terminal 2 once it opens and airlines move.

Have fun on your trip! Should be good to visit an 8 year old airport for the first time
Old Oct 30, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Deckter
Where can EC261 sit, when the initial airport is being closed and you are still being flown to the same airport city code? They will use T1 at BER.

Originally Posted by Im a new user
If the passenger was booked to TXL, then the passenger is entitled to transportation to TXL. I assume that a taxi can drop off the passenger outside TXL even if the airport is closed.
I'm struggling to come up with a reason why anyone would *want* to get to TXL; anyone who had departed from there before closure would know that it was closing, and would surely not have decided to park there.

I'd love to hear someone trying to get compensated for a taxi ride from BER to TXL after TXL has closed, but you are absolutely guaranteed to not get compensated for it.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Imagine EC261 wouldn’t apply as TXL cannot be served (ie, it’s closed!), so the airline and most observers would consider it to be fully outside of the airline’s control. I imagine you would be entitled to a refund if you chose not to travel to this new destination.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'm struggling to come up with a reason why anyone would *want* to get to TXL; anyone who had departed from there before closure would know that it was closing, and would surely not have decided to park there.

I'd love to hear someone trying to get compensated for a taxi ride from BER to TXL after TXL has closed, but you are absolutely guaranteed to not get compensated for it.
The law is clear: the airline has to get the passenger to the booked destination (TXL) if the passenger so wishes.

If a passenger requests compensation for a taxi ride from BER to TXL, then more likely the passenger is lying and it's actually a taxi ride from BER to the passenger's home or hotel.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Im a new user
The law is clear: the airline has to get the passenger to the booked destination (TXL) if the passenger so wishes..
True as of this moment; however, Article 8 (3) EC261/2004 ceases to apply to Berlin airports as of Nov 7/8, because as of that date, the opening clause "When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports" no longer applies to Berlin. The paragraph says nothing about the situation at the time of booking, or any other time in the past. There is no case law on this point, but I would be interested to see how the courts would interpret any such claim
Old Nov 1, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note also that a free hourly shuttle operates from BER to TXL up until closure of TXL on November 8. As such, no airline would have to pay to transport a passenger wishing to travel to TXL; a free shuttle is available to get them to their preferred airport.

https://ber.berlin-airport.de/conten...ber-t1-txl.pdf
Attached Images   
Old Nov 1, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another catch; the Sunday Independent reports that Berlin is one of several Aer Lingus routes that will be suspended for at least a month as of November 16.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 12:47 am
Original Poster

They will fly there for 8 days so be interesting

Germany basically goes into a shutdown state more like level 3.5 Irish style today so BER will be deserted, which is actually lucky as a big bang opening would likely have been chaos.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BER would have been quiet anyway, even without the new lockdown!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.