Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

US citizen expat needing to briefly return to the US. Question on 2-week quarantine.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US citizen expat needing to briefly return to the US. Question on 2-week quarantine.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Question US citizen expat needing to briefly return to the US. Question on 2-week quarantine.

I need to briefly return to the US to handle a family affair. Aer Lingus allowed me to book my round trip ticket from DUB > ORD > DUB July 11 - 15 with no warning or notification that I may be required to a 2-week self quarantine in the US.

I read this line on the CDC website: "All international travelers should stay home for 14 days after their arrival into the United States."
The keyword there is "should". Does anyone have any firsthand experience on whether this is actually enforced or if Aer Lingus would deny my boarding at ORD?

Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by roamingexpat
if Aer Lingus would deny my boarding at ORD?
There simply is no question of Aer Lingus denying you boarding - Aer Lingus is not responsible for policing local/city/state/federal quarantine regulations. If you were to be stopped from travelling, it would have happened long before you got to the gate of your flight - you will have to clear TSA who will almost certainly see the record of your arrival 4 days prior. However, I don't see that leaving the country to return to your permanent address would be a reason to prevent you from travelling (It may be a good idea to bring some documentary proof of your long-term residency in Ireland to establish the fact that you have permanent ties to the country).

If it is an issue, it may already arise at the USCBP post in Dublin prior to your departure. They will presumably also see that your intended stay is short.

Whether and if this will happen, I don't know. However, this does not appear to be an Aer Lingus issue, and is probably being discussed in other more appropriate forums here on FT.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 18, 2020 at 4:53 am
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
You might not even get by CBP in Dublin who will see your return flight details

In all cases Aer Lingus has no responsibility or duty of care, it is your responsibility to comply with all local laws

The current 14 day on arrival in Ireland quarantine is till 9 July, but given the state of the US likely it will be extended to cover hotspot countries like US, Brazil etc
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Thank you for these responses. I called US CBP at Dublin airport and was told the 2 weeks is not a hard rule and that I would be allowed to travel given my trip duration is only 5 days.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:22 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, roarmingexpat. This thread is closed since the question has also been posted in Travel Safety/Security. Please do not cross post.

NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.