FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   Refund/Voucher for Reward Booking via Avios.com (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/2017319-refund-voucher-reward-booking-via-avios-com.html)

mrkflyer May 8, 2020 2:40 am

Refund/Voucher for Reward Booking via Avios.com

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the refund/voucher process for EI Reward Bookings made through Avios..com? As the booking is technically through an Agent and ticketed on BA stock (125-) it could be like any other travel agent, but I was wondering if the process is any smoother considering it's to all intents and purposes an in-house TA.
  • Are Avios refunded promptly?
  • Is a voucher/refund option available for the Fees/Charges part?

I have flights booked for France in June, and while the flight is still available for booking it's highly unlikely that it'll go ahead given recent reports. Right now I'd happily take the voucher + 10%.

ROKNA May 8, 2020 5:53 am

The voucher applies only to EI ticketed and sold, so if you didn't by via aerlingus.com or over the phone you cannot get the 10% voucher

Talk to Avios...

modularmayhem May 8, 2020 7:19 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA (Post 32358463)
Talk to Avios...

Im in the same position, i have an EI flight booked on avios.com but it is impossible to speak to anyone at present. When i call the number on the email it goes straight to voicemail and no one returns the call.

mrkflyer May 8, 2020 7:33 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA (Post 32358463)
The voucher applies only to EI ticketed and sold, so if you didn't by via aerlingus.com or over the phone you cannot get the 10% voucher

Talk to Avios...

Hmmm, that's what I'd be afraid of, but I prefer to already know (most of) my options before I engage with a TA.

trustno1 May 8, 2020 8:47 am

Originally Posted by modularmayhem (Post 32358630)
Im in the same position, i have an EI flight booked on avios.com but it is impossible to speak to anyone at present. When i call the number on the email it goes straight to voicemail and no one returns the call.

I rang Avios today and had no trouble getting through. My flight to FAO is booked for 1 Aug. I was advised that if EI cancels flight I will receive all monies paid and the Avios points returned to my account. As flight is not officially cancelled yet if I was to cancel it I would pay the equivalent of GBP35 per ticket. I’m going to wait.

Word of warning: I cancelled 4 flights last year and I noted that the exchange rate to EUR was diabolical and basically was receiving about EUR 15 less in total than the spot rate. I complained and I was paid the correct amount.

EIFREZY May 8, 2020 9:09 am

I'm in the same boat too have flights booked to Malaga in early June via Avios.com and I would like a refund and my points back.

I contacted Avios vis the online chat and got told the following "If your booking is still confirmed to go ahead, normal terms and conditions apply. You can cancel bookings up to 48 hours before your first flight for a fee of €42.50 per person, all other monies and Avios would be refunded. Should the airline cancel your flights, a full refund would be given."

Basically you need to wait for Aer Lingus to cancel the flight otherwise you'll be out of pocket if you cancel pre-emptively.

highflyer66 May 8, 2020 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by modularmayhem (Post 32358630)

Have you tried the online chat, I used it often and recently too, get through fairly quickly and they are efficient at dealing with queries and issues in my experience.

mrkflyer May 10, 2020 10:42 am

Originally Posted by highflyer66 (Post 32359532)
Have you tried the online chat, I used it often and recently too, get through fairly quickly and they are efficient at dealing with queries and issues in my experience.

Hadn't tried the chat, but good to know they are responsive. To be fair I assumed that like other organisations at the moment they'd be swamped and it wouldn't be quick.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Seems like the best option is to wait until EI make a move.

modularmayhem May 11, 2020 4:10 am

just to add, i did the online chat and it was excellent. Connected to an agent in about 1 minute, and cancellation processed in less than 5 mins. Told it will take maximum 1-2 weeks for refund onto my card

alserire May 11, 2020 5:24 am

I checked my account there and actually did get back the Avios I used to part pay for a trip. Seemed to take about four weeks from cancellation.

Still no sign of vouchers though......

modularmayhem May 12, 2020 3:07 am

Originally Posted by modularmayhem (Post 32365565)
Told it will take maximum 1-2 weeks for refund onto my card

Refunded money back on my credit card already, less than 24 hours after cancelling, and Avios are back in my account also.
Very pleased with this service, especially given how some FF programmes (EK) are taking 3-4 months to issue refunds.

alserire May 13, 2020 3:29 am

Originally Posted by modularmayhem (Post 32368189)
Refunded money back on my credit card already, less than 24 hours after cancelling, and Avios are back in my account also.
Very pleased with this service, especially given how some FF programmes (EK) are taking 3-4 months to issue refunds.

At this stage I'm wondering why I didn't go for the refund. No vouchers after nearly seven weeks.

DCJoe1 May 14, 2020 9:49 am

Originally Posted by mrkflyer (Post 32363853)
Hadn't tried the chat, but good to know they are responsive. To be fair I assumed that like other organisations at the moment they'd be swamped and it wouldn't be quick.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Seems like the best option is to wait until EI make a move.

Agreed. Anyone else dealing this weird situation? A friend has an AerClub Avios.com booking for a United flight DUB-IAD in August. United has cancelled the route through the summer already- the underlying United PNR shows the booking as cancelled. But the Aer Lingus/Avios booking still shows the flight and shows nothing wrong with the reservation. Called Avios and they agreed that the United flight did not show up in their system as bookable, but no errors had been thrown yet for the reservation. They did say the same thing others have said- when they show the flight as cancelled, can get a full refund of points and cash. Wondering if there is a way to "help" their system see the underlying cancellation.

The irony is that EI has a flight on the same route that leaves 20 minutes earlier. For now it is still on the schedule for the summer- EI says they will restart this service on May 26. My suspicion is that they will end up cutting it- I assume they will only likely serve JFK, BOS and ORD for the foreseeable future.

modularmayhem May 15, 2020 3:22 am

Originally Posted by DCJoe1 (Post 32374869)
Agreed. Anyone else dealing this weird situation? A friend has an AerClub Avios.com booking for a United flight DUB-IAD in August. .

Are you sure about this? A UA flight booking using EI Avios? Dont think this is possible even if the UA flight is a codeshare with EI

DCJoe1 May 15, 2020 9:44 am

Originally Posted by modularmayhem (Post 32376988)
Are you sure about this? A UA flight booking using EI Avios? Dont think this is possible even if the UA flight is a codeshare with EI

Quite sure. Am looking at the reservation right now. You can't do it with BA Avios- which was why he had to book it using EI Avios, even though the fees are about $40/person higher. What was really odd was that the flight wasn't available as a saver award on United.com, but was available as a saver award on avios.com. I don't know how that is possible from an inventory perspective, but it was. I don't know how many routes they offer this possibility- this is on DUB-IAD, UA127, codeshared as EI6995.

Example: look at October 29, 2020 on avios.com, search DUB-IAD. You can see both the UA and EI operated flights on that day available as award tickets. And to add to my comment about the odd differences between united.com and avios.com, united.com shows 2 econ saver awards available on that United-operated flight. Avios.com shows 9+ econ saver awards.