FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   Man - Dub - Lax (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/1995159-man-dub-lax.html)

OCBLADE Nov 12, 2019 2:12 am

Man - Dub - Lax

Considering using Aer Lingus for above routing in economy.

Usually go BA or NZ via LHR.

What should I expect as different.

Are there considerable advantages/disadvantages of either?

Interested to hear experiences to LAX

modularmayhem Nov 12, 2019 3:00 am

The best thing about going via DUB is US immigration pre clearance. LAX is notorious for long queues at immigration which is the last thing you want after a long flight. The DUB-LAX is pre cleared so effecitvely you are treated similar to a domestic arrival and you are straight off the plane to baggage claim and can be in a taxi to your hotel 30-45 mins after landing. My record with LAX immigration was 3 hours once after a BA flight

OCBLADE Nov 12, 2019 8:35 am

Originally Posted by modularmayhem (Post 31727842)
The best thing about going via DUB is US immigration pre clearance. LAX is notorious for long queues at immigration which is the last thing you want after a long flight. The DUB-LAX is pre cleared so effecitvely you are treated similar to a domestic arrival and you are straight off the plane to baggage claim and can be in a taxi to your hotel 30-45 mins after landing. My record with LAX immigration was 3 hours once after a BA flight

I think this is my primary driver of giving Aer Lingus a go....coming into TBIT at the wrong time is not fun!

Should I expect lower standards of food, IFE, service, comfort on Aer Lingus that I would usually expect on NZ/BA.

mccartje Nov 12, 2019 8:47 am

Originally Posted by OCBLADE (Post 31728698)
I think this is my primary driver of giving Aer Lingus a go....coming into TBIT at the wrong time is not fun!

Should I expect lower standards of food, IFE, service, comfort on Aer Lingus that I would usually expect on NZ/BA.

Versus BA food in economy pretty similar but BA has free alcoholic drinks (pay on EI), IFE is worse on EI both in quality and viewing options in my opinion (however it depends on what aircraft you are comparing it to), comfort, again aircraft dependent but in economy it's pretty similar when it comes to the seats but the layout of the A330 (2-4-2) is in my opinion superior to the (3-3/4-3) on typical BA long hauls, service again is similar to BA but I slightly prefer EI but I'm probably slightly biased there.

OCBLADE Nov 13, 2019 9:07 am

Originally Posted by mccartje (Post 31728737)
Versus BA food in economy pretty similar but BA has free alcoholic drinks (pay on EI), IFE is worse on EI both in quality and viewing options in my opinion (however it depends on what aircraft you are comparing it to), comfort, again aircraft dependent but in economy it's pretty similar when it comes to the seats but the layout of the A330 (2-4-2) is in my opinion superior to the (3-3/4-3) on typical BA long hauls, service again is similar to BA but I slightly prefer EI but I'm probably slightly biased there.

Great!

Thanks for the information, very helpful. Config of the A330 is great for parties of 2!

modularmayhem Nov 14, 2019 3:20 am

From my own opinion

Food: Similar on all carriers (economy food is never something to look forward to)
IFE: BA/NZ both better than EI
Service: EI similar to NZ, and better than BA
Comfort: EI similar to NZ, marginally better than BA

Overall, i would say if the price is good, give EI a try. US pre clearance is a game changer for travel to the US and for me it now takes a lot of convincing to go on a flight via UK

Piero Tintori Nov 15, 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by mccartje (Post 31728737)

The upgraded economy food option is well worth the extra 20 or so euro. Basically gets you a meal close to business class for tiny money.

THEOBCMAN Nov 20, 2019 4:53 am

Have a look at this just posted today from sanspotter on youtube. He did the exact route & all looks good :