FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   AerClub: maintaining same tier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/1982621-aerclub-maintaining-same-tier.html)

moss13goats Aug 12, 2019 5:29 am

AerClub: maintaining same tier

Apologies if this has been resolved elsewhere on this forum already, but I’m trying to understand whether it is possible to stay in the AerClub sliver tier from one year to the next.

Example:
- I have silver tier status today, expiring 7/1/2020
- I currently have 262 credits, needing 339 to reach platinum
- If, by 7/1/2020, I have not reached platinum, does my credit balance reset to zero and I revert to Green status?
- what if, by 7/1/2020, I do have the minimum amount for a silver membership (301 or more)? Does this get ignored?

Help appreciated.
Thanks

Thanks

mrkflyer Aug 12, 2019 7:04 am

At the end of every year, the tier credit balance is reset to zero. The status you have in the following year will be determined by how many credits you have at the end of the year.

- If you had earned Platinum, then you hold that from the time you reach the tier points until the end of that qualifying year. For a lot (if not most) they reach their level before the end of the year so they generally have > 12 months at that level.
- If you didn't have enough for Platinum, but enough for Silver, then Silver it will be for the following year.

The following year you'll need to earn the points for any level again.

mccartje Aug 12, 2019 7:29 am

- If, by 7/1/2020, I have not reached platinum, does my credit balance reset to zero and I revert to Green status? Your tier credit balance will reset to zero. Your status will reset green if you have less than 301 tier credits by 7/1/2020
- what if, by 7/1/2020, I do have the minimum amount for a silver membership (301 or more)? Does this get ignored? No, if you have earned at least 301 tier credits (but less than 601) before 7/1/2020 then you will 'retain' silver status for your next membership year (until 7/1/2021 in your case).

The way Aer Lingus show the renewal/next tier dates is a little confusing if you are not overly familiar with the system, you're not the first to look for clarification. Extra point to note for you, if you reach 601 tier credits and thus the platinum level you will benefit from a 'soft' landing to silver tier if the following year you do not earn enough tier credits to earn/retain platinum or silver, as long as you have taken I think 4 flights during that year. That is to say if you earned platinum by 7/1/2020, this will give you platinum status to 7/1/2021, if from 7/1/2020 to 7/1/2021 you only flew a few times with Aer Lingus and earned less than 301 tier credits you would retain silver status until 7/1/2022 - the so called soft landing from platinum to silver. Just something to consider if pushing for platinum status this anniversary year.

moss13goats Aug 12, 2019 7:34 am

Originally Posted by mccartje (Post 31406948)
- If, by 7/1/2020, I have not reached platinum, does my credit balance reset to zero and I revert to Green status? Your tier credit balance will reset to zero. Your status will reset green if you have less than 301 tier credits by 7/1/2020
- what if, by 7/1/2020, I do have the minimum amount for a silver membership (301 or more)? Does this get ignored? No, if you have earned at least 301 tier credits (but less than 601) before 7/1/2020 then you will 'retain' silver status for your next membership year (until 7/1/2021 in your case).

The way Aer Lingus show the renewal/next tier dates is a little confusing if you are not overly familiar with the system, you're not the first to look for clarification. Extra point to note for you, if you reach 601 tier credits and thus the platinum level you will benefit from a 'soft' landing to silver tier if the following year you do not earn enough tier credits to earn/retain platinum or silver, as long as you have taken I think 4 flights during that year. That is to say if you earned platinum by 7/1/2020, this will give you platinum status to 7/1/2021, if from 7/1/2020 to 7/1/2021 you only flew a few times with Aer Lingus and earned less than 301 tier credits you would retain silver status until 7/1/2022 - the so called soft landing from platinum to silver. Just something to consider if pushing for platinum status this anniversary year.

Massively useful, thank you.

RMDrive Aug 13, 2019 12:56 am

Originally Posted by mccartje (Post 31406948)

Do you know if the 'soft landing' will apply in successive years? If I'm concierge today but am likely to do very little travel over the next 2 years, will I drop to Platinum next year and Silver the year after?

mccartje Aug 13, 2019 1:28 am

Originally Posted by RMDrive (Post 31410173)
Do you know if the 'soft landing' will apply in successive years? If I'm concierge today but am likely to do very little travel over the next 2 years, will I drop to Platinum next year and Silver the year after?

I'm not sure on that but I would think yes as long as you have some activity happening. BA operate like that for as much as EI took some lead form them.

ROKNA Aug 13, 2019 2:38 am

Once you make the minimum number of EI metal flights per year you should fall down the levels one by one.

Dollar Bill Aug 13, 2019 11:10 am

Hi, new user and I’m finding this forum very useful. I’ve searched through the other threads and believe my question is related to this topic.

Do you see the value in pushing for platinum from silver. Are the extra benefits worthwhile if you only occasionally have someone travelling with you?

mccartje Aug 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dollar Bill (Post 31411895)
Hi, new user and I’m finding this forum very useful. I’ve searched through the other threads and believe my question is related to this topic.

Do you see the value in pushing for platinum from silver. Are the extra benefits worthwhile if you only occasionally have someone travelling with you?

I would say if you travel across the Atlantic regularly or semi-regularly it is of benefit to push for platinum as you get a free upgrade plus 51st & green lounge access after USPC. Of course if you routinely travel in business across the atlantic then these benefits are included anyway (but if you did that then its not much of a push to get to platinum anyway!). The avios boost doesn't hurt either. But as a solo short haul traveler you won't notice any difference.

Dollar Bill Aug 13, 2019 3:08 pm

Thanks for the advice. My travel is mostly short haul.

Given that most of the valuable benefits are gathered at silver it’s a pity that they don’t mirror other airlines and include free seat selection and checked baggage at platinum given that you’ve accrued another 300+ tier points.

ROKNA Aug 14, 2019 12:45 am

Platinum does provide a free guest at all lounges plus if you find yourself on an itinerary containing a EI flight with a BA connection at LHR, you have access to the BA lounge in T3/5

But as above unless traveling across the Atlantic its not really worth it

Danash Aug 14, 2019 5:32 am

Hi - does passing 601 again while Concierge get you a new single upgrade ? And then 4 more on renewing Concierge ?

ASHFlyer Aug 14, 2019 7:58 am

How many is the EI metal flights is the minimum for each tier?

ROKNA Aug 14, 2019 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Danash (Post 31414605)
Hi - does passing 601 again while Concierge get you a new single upgrade ? And then 4 more on renewing Concierge ?

Nope, if you are concierge its 4 per membership year, now if you are Platinum and get enough to be Concierge in theory you have 5

If you have 601 as a Concierge you might be able to get that single upgrade but it would leave you with 3

mccartje Aug 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by ROKNA (Post 31415297)
Nope, if you are concierge its 4 per membership year, now if you are Platinum and get enough to be Concierge in theory you have 5

If you have 601 as a Concierge you might be able to get that single upgrade but it would leave you with 3

I was under the impression that it is not cumulative. As in if you progressed to Platinum and didn't use your upgrade before subsequently moving to Concierge then you would still only have 4. Similarly if already Concierge and earning 601 the following year you don't get an additional 1 upgrade or if you retain concierge without having used any upgrades you don't suddenly have 8 upgrades available. I thought it was 4 per year as concierge and 1 per year platinum in a 'retaining' situation and only in an upgrading year could you have the possibility of obtaining and using more than that. I would love if the opposite were true and they were cumulative in which case I'd be sitting on 12!

I'm not sure on any of the above its just my reading on their rules and am happy to be corrected.