Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Irish fatherís ashes lost by Aer Lingus after trip from Australia

Old Aug 6, 19, 5:43 am
Original Poster

An Irish emigrant who has travelled home from Australia to scatter the ashes of his father and mother was in limbo on Tuesday after Aer Linguslost his bags and Ė with them Ė the remains of his parents.

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-father-s-ashes-lost-by-aer-lingus-after-trip-from-australia-1.3978438?mode=amp

Old Aug 6, 19, 11:38 am

Why would they put the ashes in checked luggage?
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

That was my reaction also without being harsh. I have actually had to carry a family members ashes some years ago and it went in hand luggage and no issues at all . I am not sure if the procedure has changed since then though.
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
Hand carry is permitted provided the urn is x-ray able. Documentation also required, but something so valuable I would never consider checking in.
alserire and argonath like this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by ROKNA View Post
Hand carry is permitted provided the urn is x-ray able. Documentation also required, but something so valuable I would never consider checking in.
The same rules apply for checked luggage. A metal urn in checked luggage will cause the same x-ray issues as a metal urn in hand luggage.
All the passengers needed to do was to google "ashes Are Lingus" or something similar, and they would have known about the option to carry the ashes in the hand luggage.
alserire likes this.
Old Aug 7, 19, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
According to the article, it's not only the father's ashes that were lost, but also the mother's.
Old Aug 7, 19, 2:46 am

Programs: Warrant Card, BA Blue, PFOA
According to the news the ashes were returned just three hours before the planned service so thankfully good news..can't imagine the heartache this would have caused.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...home-1.3978438
irishguy28 and DELLAS like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium Elite
Their track record is appalling.

Take a look at this thread:
Missing bags, any helpful contacts?
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sorry, but this is on the passenger. Something that is irreplaceable should not have been checked in. The percentage of bags delayed or even eventually lost is infintesimal as a percentage of total traffic, but it happens.
alserire likes this.

Search this Thread