FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   Olci on a mixed EI and BA pnr,how? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/1981640-olci-mixed-ei-ba-pnr-how.html)

Earthman Aug 5, 2019 3:33 am

Olci on a mixed EI and BA pnr,how?

I'm connecting to a BA flight in T5 from an EI flight from DUB
I booked and paid for seats on the EI DUB LHR leg but EI told me I have to check in at the airport
Seriously ? That would leave me not checking into the BA flight either
it's so 1990's

Surely theres a better way of doing this? Can I even olci separately for the BA flight?

The return is a mix of Iberia and EI with an overnight stopover in MAD
The agent told me we could OLCI for that one because EI have an agreement with Iberia
seriously

Any help and experiences (it must be common) oh wise ones would be appreciated thanks
Who owns these airlines :D

ROKNA Aug 5, 2019 3:54 am

Absolutely no problem do this

You can check in online with the BA website for the BA flight no problem regardless of checking in for the EI segment, works for me every time.

1. Go to BA website NOT the app and try to check in for the EI leg and they will give you the PNR ref for EI and direct you to EI's site or you can be successful from time to time with the BA website doing OLCI for EI if a seat is already assigned but this will only work with a printed PDF boarding card.

Neither EI or BA will offer seat selection choice it will issue a random seat unless there is one assigned. If you manually paid for a seat then you may not be able to check in online if you did so less than 72 hours before departure.

2. As above but if you have the EI PNR skip the trying to locate it on the BA site and go direct to EI

If you check in in Dublin in person the staff will handle any passport/visa check requirements to avoid any delay at flight connections in LHR. Staff at check in will typically prioritise connecting passengers with seats towards the front (it used to be the back in the T1 days, but its front now in T2)

Always check in with the operating carrier for each leg, EI's airport IT in Dublin is extremely good at issuing boarding cards for all manner of airlines even some they don't list

As a BA gold flying DUB-LHR you have access to the EI lounge, no guest

Earthman Aug 5, 2019 4:16 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA (Post 31380573)
Absolutely no problem do this

You can check in online with the BA website for the BA flight no problem regardless of checking in for the EI segment, works for me every time.

1. Go to BA website NOT the app and try to check in for the EI leg and they will give you the PNR ref for EI and direct you to EI's site or you can be successful from time to time with the BA website doing OLCI for EI if a seat is already assigned but this will only work with a printed PDF boarding card.

Neither EI or BA will offer seat selection choice it will issue a random seat unless there is one assigned. If you manually paid for a seat then you may not be able to check in online if you did so less than 72 hours before departure.

2. As above but if you have the EI PNR skip the trying to locate it on the BA site and go direct to EI

If you check in in Dublin in person the staff will handle any passport/visa check requirements to avoid any delay at flight connections in LHR. Staff at check in will typically prioritise connecting passengers with seats towards the front (it used to be the back in the T1 days, but its front now in T2)

Always check in with the operating carrier for each leg, EI's airport IT in Dublin is extremely good at issuing boarding cards for all manner of airlines even some they don't list

As a BA gold flying DUB-LHR you have access to the EI lounge, no guest

Thanks,the EI agent gave me the EI pnr but said I couldn't check in online the day before
So you're saying I can and to go to BA.com and do that one there,will that open the same time as the EI flight or exactly 24hrs before the BA flight time?
this is very helpful thanks

ROKNA Aug 5, 2019 5:58 am

BA OLCI will open 24 hours before departure of the first flight, the EI one, at that time you can also check in to the BA leg.

It should though not 100% offer an ability to check in via BA for the EI flight or tell you to use EI's system. As you manually added a seat this may mess things up or make it work better, I don't know. I do know for EI tickets which a seat edit is performed by an agent 72 hours or nearer to departure it may block OLCI.

If it doesn't work the self service machines should be happy to check you in. A human may be required if your destination has specific visa requirements

Earthman Aug 19, 2019 7:45 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA (Post 31380781)
BA OLCI will open 24 hours before departure of the first flight, the EI one, at that time you can also check in to the BA leg.

It should though not 100% offer an ability to check in via BA for the EI flight or tell you to use EI's system. As you manually added a seat this may mess things up or make it work better, I don't know. I do know for EI tickets which a seat edit is performed by an agent 72 hours or nearer to departure it may block OLCI.

If it doesn't work the self service machines should be happy to check you in. A human may be required if your destination has specific visa requirements

Well this is not working
The countdown clock on the BA MMB page went to zero at the time of the EI Flight minus 24hrs and immediately changed to a countdown for the onward BA Flight
I can check into neither on BA
Using EI it says contact travel agent and offers no option AT ALL

Absolutely ridiculous

JohnIreland Aug 19, 2019 1:37 pm

This is usually my experience as well. The BA flight usually allows checkin if you don't try (and fail) the EI one first.

Dambus Sep 30, 2019 6:20 am

Hmmm. I am facing the same issue as the OP outlined above on an ex-DUB itin on an EI flight (BA coded) connecting to a long haul BA flight.

Calling both EI and BA now...

[Updated]

Have managed to check-in for the EI leg on-line (does not work on the mobile app) using the EI PNR and to print a boarding pass. Although seat selection is automatic with no option to change and the seat isn't great. The boarding pass shows the BA codeshare details etc.

Still can't check in for the BA leg but (apparently) this should now be possible from T-24 based on the BA flight departure time.

[Further update]

After T-24 I was able to check-in on the BA Website (not the app) and was able to select/change seats in the process. Once I had issued my boarding pass I was then also able to download it in the app.

ROKNA Sep 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Sounds about right