Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Missing bags, any helpful contacts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Last week my partner and I flew ARN-DUB-BDL, first leg on SAS second on EI. Neither of our checked bags arrived in BDL, and for the past 8 days EI has basically offered zero assistance beyond “we’ll let you know when we find them”.

For example, no one can tell me where they last saw the bags, or if they ever even received them from SAS in DUB - do these things not get scanned as they get moved around? The US number they provide is just a call center with seemingly no access to any information at all. I’ve tried calling the Ireland phone number, which didn’t get me any further. SAS at least provided me with the phone numbers of their baggage offices at the airports.

Does anyone know any leads I might pursue that could be more helpful? Or any phone numbers to call that might have more useful information? Thank you.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:41 am

The twitter team (7am - 7pm Irish time) tend to be quick following items up and getting back to you once you give them information. But whether or not they will have any additional information for you versus the EI helpline is unlikely but anyway you could keep up the pressure maybe. Some of the twitter team seem better than others in knowledge and following things up.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by colden

For example, no one can tell me where they last saw the bags, or if they ever even received them from SAS in DUB - do these things not get scanned as they get moved around?
Were you self-connecting, or was this all on one ticket?

Presumably you have the lost baggage report with the reference where you can check the worldtracer.aero website, right?
colden likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
This could be easy enough

1. SAS and EI have a eticket agreement so I am assuming this was all on a single ticket?

2. At the CBP inspection in Dublin you are shown your luggage on the screen and asked to verify it is yours. Did you see your bag. The photo is taken by the baggage system in Dublin when the bag is routed to a US bound flight at T2. This process is separate from the normal baggage tracing

So
If your bag was shown on the screen, SAS got it to Dublin and transferred
If your bag was NOT shown, then SAS either didn't load the bag in ARN or didn't transfer in Dublin

As the last carrier EI is the tracing party
You can claim for reasonable expenses, clothes etc
irishguy28 and colden like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ROKNA
If your bag was NOT shown, then SAS either didn't load the bag in ARN or didn't transfer in Dublin
This is why I suspected self-connection; the OP would surely have mentioned if they'd been queried and shown their bag on screen at CBP prior to boarding their Aer Lingus flight to BDL.

But perhaps the OP will elaborate and explain the discussion regarding checked luggage that they had with USCBP at DUB. They identify each bag with a passenger, so the OP should have had some discussion regarding baggage shortly before boarding.
colden likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Yes this was all on one ticket. We were told by SAS in ARN that our bags would be checked all the way through.

However, being shown an image of our bags at USCBP in DUB is news to me. That didn’t happen. I was asked the usual questions about meat, fruits, etc in any of my bags but was not shown anything, nor was there any mention by the officer that I should have been.

SAS was unable to print the EI boarding passes; we had to get those in DUB. When getting those from EI in DUB, we were asked if we were checking any bags, and we said we were told they would be checked all the way through. There was no indication that this was a problem; however our EI boarding passes have “Checked Bags: 0” printed on them. Our claim tag from SAS has both flight numbers printed on it, with final destination showing BDL as expected.

I’m guessing this might explain why CBP didn’t show us anything, because our boarding passes said we had no checked bags? But could this be part of our issue? Could they be stuck in US customs somewhere?

(We didn’t notice that on the boarding cards until after we were home, unfortunately)
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by colden; Jul 23, 2019 at 8:58 am
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems, then, that the bags were not forwarded to Aer Lingus at all.

Whether that means they were never loaded onto the SAS flight, or whether they got "lost" somewhere in DUB in the handoff between SK and EI, who can tell.

However, you can certainly rule out that they are "stuck in US customs" - USCBP doesn't "hold" bags. At DUB, they reconcile every bag tagged for the US with its passenger, and that this didn't happen with your bag means they never got it.

Of all the places your bag could be, I would expect "stuck in US customs" in DUB is the last place. They are not going to hold an unclaimed piece of luggage indefinitely.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 23, 2019 at 9:18 am
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:12 am

Given the delay it's likely not in DUB, I imagine EI even in their lethargy for returning luggage aren't that bad if it is in DUB.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SAS was unable to print the EI boarding passes; we had to get those in DUB. When getting those from EI in DUB, we were asked if we were checking any bags, and we said we were told they would be checked all the way through. There was no indication that this was a problem; however our EI boarding passes have “Checked Bags: 0” printed on them. Our claim tag from SAS has both flight numbers printed on it, with final destination showing BDL as expected.
This is unusual. They should have asked to see the baggage claim receipt at this stage.

I have learned (the hard way) that even on interlined tickets, it is ALWAYS a good idea to pro-actively show the baggage claim receipt to the ground staff of the second airline in good time ahead of boarding. Very often, the second airline isn't aware that there is a bag in transit. Having had the bag tagged all the way through isn't, of itself, always enough to make sure that it gets through.

From what you have written, it sounds like EI had no idea that there was a bag in transit. And even after the brief discussion, it seems like the necessary steps to ensure the bag got transferred - seeing the baggage claim receipt and looking up the bag - didn't happen.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I’ve also been in contact with SAS and unfortunately they don’t have any information on where the bags are either.

If SAS finds them lying around in DUB, do you think they’ll just automatically pass them along to EI for delivery or are there steps missing in the process now? (If EI doesn’t have those bags associated with my itinerary, for example)

At this point I’m really just trying to figure out which airline I should be focusing on, but neither seems to have any information at all.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None of this matters. EI is the last delivering carrier and it is solely EI's responsibility to deliver the bag and make interim and permanent compensation if necessary.

Calling (or tweeting) EI is useless. Staff are looking at the same WorldTracer screen you are looking at. As always, the best advice with delayed luggage is to just make certain that your contact information is correct in WorldTracer (a current mobile number).Then go about your life stress free.

Above all else, stick to EI. For better or for worse, dealing with anyone else simply complicates things and increases the chances of mishandling if the bags are located.

At 21 days, the bag is considered lost and you may claim for the loss up to approx. EUR 1,150 in fair market value. In the meantime, purchase what you need, keep receipts and hold them until the bag is returned or 21 days have passed. Do remember that should be bag be lost, the EUR 1,150 will be reduced by interim purchases.

Alternatively, you may find that your baggage insurance is easier to deal with and, if so, deal with your the policy issuer.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If SAS finds them lying around in DUB, do you think they’ll just automatically pass them along to EI for delivery or are there steps missing in the process now? (If EI doesn’t have those bags associated with my itinerary, for example)
When your bags are eventually noticed as being out of place, someone will scan the tag and find your details on Worldtracer. That is why it is important that you keep your contact details and forwarding address updated on the Worldtracer website.

It is my understanding that the bag isn't just simply "routed" the way it should have been; the details in Worldtracer determine what happens and where the bag will be routed, and it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be passed onto Aer Lingus to deliver. For example, by the time your bag is located you may no longer be in BDL (not clear if this is home, or whether you are returning to Sweden) and in that case it would clearly be incorrect to send the bags onwards to the US. In theory, your bags will be forwarded anywhere in the world that you request - keep the forwarding details up to date in Worldtracer.

This is why you should always have your contact details inside the bags as well - and/or fill out the Name and Address panels provided in any luggage, or at least use a number or email address where you can be contacted - just in case the luggage tag gets torn off or lost.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks everyone for the help.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, thanks everyone for the help.
Good luck and let us know how it works out!
Often1 and colden like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by ROKNA
So
This is not absolute. I was not asked to identify my bag on-screen at USPC the last 3 times I've checked a bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.