FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   Baggage transfer between United and Stobart Air / Aer Lingus Regional flights in DUB (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/1977321-baggage-transfer-between-united-stobart-air-aer-lingus-regional-flights-dub.html)

Nayef Jul 8, 19 10:10 pm

Baggage transfer between United and Stobart Air / Aer Lingus Regional flights in DUB
 
I'm contemplating booking a flight from Washington-Dulles to Dublin on Aer Lingus flight 6994 (Operated by United Airlines) or "UA126" then Aer Lingus 3254 (Operated by Stobart Air) from Dublin to Edinburgh. However, I was wondering if my checked baggage would be automatically transferred from the first flight or not, given that the first is operated by United and the second one is operated by Stobart Air. Has anyone had any experience with this? And should I have posted this on the Aer Lingus subforum instead?

Mind you this booking would be all on the same booking and ticket through United.com. It's not separate tickets or bookings.

Edit: can anyone confirm if the bag would get inspected then re-checked in DUB?

garykung Jul 8, 19 10:55 pm

No - because you are required to go through customs, as you are entering Ireland from a non-EU country.

Nayef Jul 9, 19 8:03 am

But both flights are considered Aer Lingus codeshares and Ireland isn't the final destination. Dublin is just a transit point.

findark Jul 9, 19 8:56 am

If it's all one ticket, your bags will be checked through to EDI. DUB has not been part of the United Kingdom for quite some time, so it's not an I/D connection :)

I might be wrong here, see below..

lhrsfo Jul 9, 19 9:38 am


Originally Posted by findark (Post 31285031)
If it's all one ticket, your bags will be checked through to EDI. DUB has not been part of the United Kingdom for quite some time, so it's not an I/D connection :)

True but Ireland is part of a Common Travel Area with the UK and hence flights from Eire arrive as domestic - no need for passports etc. If the connection were to France, for example, then it would be I/I, whereas this is treated as I/D.

Having said that I'm not familiar with the baggage arrangements so can't help the OP on his/her question.

findark Jul 9, 19 9:48 am


Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 31285164)
True but Ireland is part of a Common Travel Area with the UK and hence flights from Eire arrive as domestic - no need for passports etc. If the connection were to France, for example, then it would be I/I, whereas this is treated as I/D.

Having said that I'm not familiar with the baggage arrangements so can't help the OP on his/her question.

Hm.. I guess I hadn't realized that applied to air travel beyond Northern Ireland as well, although I guess that makes sense. So flying FRA-DUB-EDI for example, you would never have your passport checked?

nancypants Jul 9, 19 9:52 am


Originally Posted by findark (Post 31285208)
Hm.. I guess I hadn't realized that applied to air travel beyond Northern Ireland as well, although I guess that makes sense. So flying FRA-DUB-EDI for example, you would never have your passport checked?

you would have your passport checked leaving between FRA/DUB as Ireland is not in schengen

findark Jul 9, 19 10:09 am


Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31285227)
you would have your passport checked leaving between FRA/DUB as Ireland is not in schengen

I am clearly not fully awake this morning.. right. EU, but not Schengen.

Nayef Jul 9, 19 10:14 am

I messaged United about it but I'm not holding my breath for a prompt response.

Here's what I got from Aer Lingus:


Passengers holding single tickets which include both an Aer Lingus flight to/from North America and an Aer Lingus flight within Europe will be subject to transatlantic baggage allowances for the entirety of their journey. Bags will be automatically checked to their final destination.

Passengers holding seperate tickets on Aer Lingus services will be subject to the individual baggage allowances of each flight. Aer Lingus will thru-check, as a courtesy checked luggage onto a seperately ticketed Aer Lingus flight upon presentation of the onward reservation to the check-in agent.
I asked for further clarification since even though both flights have Aer Lingus flight numbers, neither are actually Aer Lingus flights.

Nayef Jul 9, 19 10:15 am

Is it ok if you post this again same thread on the Aer Lingus subforum or would that be spamming? I'm trying to see if anyone was in a similar situation.

findark Jul 9, 19 10:36 am

Okay so... ignoring the part where I might not be awake.. :)

Assuming this is all on one ticket, you will check your bag at IAD and receive a bag tag which will tag your bags to EDI (assuming that your transfer in DUB is not overnight). I'm not sure, but it sounds like garykung is right about needing to reclaim your bags for customs in DUB, but they should still have the EDI tag which would allow you to re-check them with EI. If you need to do this it should be really obvious - you will be routed past a baggage claim area, usually after passport control and before customs.

As EI is the marketing carrier of IAD-DUB, you are entitled to the EI allowance for IAD-EDI on the journey in your coupon class of service, and the UA counter in IAD will also grant you any waivers you might have based on your status with UA. Because it's a single bag tag, these waivers would carry through to EDI.

Nayef Jul 9, 19 10:55 am


Originally Posted by findark (Post 31285399)
Okay so... ignoring the part where I might not be awake.. :)

Assuming this is all on one ticket, you will check your bag at IAD and receive a bag tag which will tag your bags to EDI (assuming that your transfer in DUB is not overnight). I'm not sure, but it sounds like garykung is right about needing to reclaim your bags for customs in DUB, but they should still have the EDI tag which would allow you to re-check them with EI. If you need to do this it should be really obvious - you will be routed past a baggage claim area, usually after passport control and before customs.

As EI is the marketing carrier of IAD-DUB, you are entitled to the EI allowance for IAD-EDI on the journey in your coupon class of service, and the UA counter in IAD will also grant you any waivers you might have based on your status with UA. Because it's a single bag tag, these waivers would carry through to EDI.

It would be great if the procedure ends up being re-checking the bags immediately without having to actually leave the secure area and then coming back again.

WineCountryUA Jul 9, 19 11:07 am


Originally Posted by Nayef (Post 31285317)
Is it ok if you post this again same thread on the Aer Lingus subforum or would that be spamming? I'm trying to see if anyone was in a similar situation.

Per the OP's request, this is being moved to the EI forum, for the local experts to way-in

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

irishguy28 Jul 9, 19 11:33 am

IF all travel has been purchased on a single ticket:

Your bag will be checked all the way through to your final destination.

You don't clear customs in Dublin; you clear customs at your final destination. Airport staff at EDI will know just from a glance that your luggage is from outside the EU; luggage checked in at any EU airport has a green-edged label (see below), whereas the label applied by United will have no such green edge, so they will know automatically that your luggage is from outside the EU.

The Common Travel Area (CTA) which somebody introduced upthread has nothing at all to do with customs - and its provisioins don't apply to US passport holders, anyway.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...ette_verte.gif https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...te_blanche.gif
Left: luggage label applied to luggage checked in at an EU airport, recognizable from the green edge. Right: luggage label applied to luggage checked in at an airport outside the EU


IF you are travelling on separate tickets:

Your bag will only be checked as far as Dublin. You will clear both immigration and customs in Dublin (the latter having retrieved your checked luggage), and will then need to make your way to checkin for your onward flight. You must allow SUFFICIENT TIME for any delays or problems that might arise (late arrival, late/non-delivery of luggage, etc) as if you miss the check-in deadline of the second flight when travelling on separate tickets, you lose the value of the ticket and will have to buy a new one at walk-up rates on the day.

ROKNA Jul 9, 19 12:36 pm

Lets make this really simple, if its all one ticket

You check in at IAD
Aer Lingus and United have code share/interlining/eticket agreement
You will next see your bag in EDI
You will clear customs in EDI (use the red or green lane not the blue lane)

You do not need to reclaim your luggage or any other messing in Dublin, follow signs to flight connections, pass through immigration and proceed to the gate. There won't even be a security check. If United cannot issue the onward boarding card in IAD, Aer Lingus will at the transfer desk in Dublin.

This is how the rest of the world operates, the US CBP has its own awkward and unnecessary protocol which only applies in the US, the rest of the world doesn't care and has a much more sensible approach.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:56 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.