Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Baggage transfer between United and Stobart Air / Aer Lingus Regional flights in DUB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage transfer between United and Stobart Air / Aer Lingus Regional flights in DUB

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ROKNA
Lets make this really simple, if its all one ticket

You check in at IAD
Aer Lingus and United have code share/interlining/eticket agreement
You will next see your bag in EDI
That's pretty much the same thing I thought since they'd all be on the same ticket but I wanted to make sure since the airlines would be "technically" different.

And yeah the US and Canada (unless you're transiting with Air Canada) make things unbelievably complicated.

Edit: Aer Lingus got back to me again with a link from their website showing info on checked baggage and partner airlines.

Last edited by Nayef; Jul 9, 2019 at 12:11 pm Reason: added link from EI
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I beg to differ.

This is the source that I obtain my information:

https://www.ireland.com/en-us/about-...s-and-borders/

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the...ms-immigration

I would not say this is absolutely correct. But at least the information has some authenticity.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
I would not say this is absolutely correct. But at least the information has some authenticity.
It's absolutely correct for someone arriving at their final destination in Ireland. It's not relevant to someone connecting in Ireland.
irishguy28, alserire and Nayef like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
I beg to differ.

This is the source that I obtain my information:

https://www.ireland.com/en-us/about-...s-and-borders/

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the...ms-immigration

Ignore all that, your destination is EDI, you are a transit passenger so none of the above applies
Nayef likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Bags will be checked through to final destination.

You will need to go through passport control in Dublin, due to CTA arrangements. Ireland completes the passport check on behalf of the UK under the CTA agreement. However you do not need to reclaim your bags.

In EDI your bags are delivered to an international carousel, not a domestic carousel. However passengers are routed around passport control points into the baggage claim hall. You are still subject to customs clearance upon exiting the international baggage claim hall in EDI.

This is the main difference about CTA. No passport check, but possible customs check in EDI.

The green bag tag stripes mentioned above are what helps UKBF staff identify whether the bag has arrived from within or outside the EU.
nancypants and Nayef like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA
This is how the rest of the world operates, the US CBP has its own awkward and unnecessary protocol which only applies in the US, the rest of the world doesn't care and has a much more sensible approach.
With regards to the customs clearance at final destination policy, this seems to invite abuse, and it probably is being abused. How easy is it to make a green tag yourself and apply it to your bag when you retrieve it from the carousel? Or reuse a tag from a previous flight ex-Schengen. Or even easier, find a lost green bag tag in the reclaim area and apply it to your bag. Or if your checked bag could qualify as a carry-on, remove your non-green tag and walk out with no tag. Sure, you'll get in serious problems if caught, but then again, customs officers basically check for non-green tags, so the chances of being randomly inspected with a green tag are almost nil.

From my experience, custom inspections in the EU rank among the laxest in the world, although it depends on the country. I've even seen several customs stations completely uncrewed during times when no long-haul ex-Schengen flights are arriving, ignoring the fact that there may still be arriving pax that fly in after having connected in a Schengen airport from an ex-Schengen flight. So maybe it makes sense in this lax approach that seems to trust the traveling public blindly. But as a US citizen, I prefer the stricter CBP approach. I'm not saying it is foolproof, but there is a reason why custom procedures exist, and a lax approach won't help.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: QF WP
Back when I used to deal with UK customs semi regularly, virtually no one was “randomly inspected”, and you often walked through the various channels and didn’t see a single worker. It was all intelligence led. It’s a complete 180 shift from how Australia/NZ/Canada/US etc does it
irishguy28 and mccartje like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's a very different beast trying to police what's arriving into a country like Australia or New Zealand, where everybody arrives by air at one of five or so airports. Compare that to the EU with 500 odd airports, numerous sea ports, multiple land border crossings and a variety of border agencies policing it. Some countries have a natural geographic advantage.

And what is seemingly becoming the new Godwin's Law, that leads the conversation to the topic of Brexit. Part of the reason the Brits voted in favor, was to take advantage of their natural borders as an island nation to police what arrives. (Although for many is was more of a concern about the self loading freight arriving rather than that consigned to the holds).

...If only they could figure out their Northern Ireland issue.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
The stobart operated flight is Aer Lingus Regional. Crew and aircraft are in Aer Lingus colours, just the aircraft are turboprops.

Oh and your bags go all the way to EDI
Nayef likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:43 am

As someone who has teavelked from the USA via Dublin to both LHR and BhX, our cases have not been collected in Dublin, but next seen in LhR or BhX
Nayef likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.