Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

How soon to get to airport for DUB-JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I know that there is preclearance in DUB for a flight to North America, in my case itll be JFK.

Some on here and other places report having gone to airport 3 hours before. That seems like an insane amount of time. I'm only asking becuase we have only one night in Dublin and trying to buy as much time as possible. Planning on getting to DUB 2 hours before instead of recommended 3. Is this foolish?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Which flight?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rokna
which flight?
el0145 dub-lax
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
I know that there is preclearance in DUB for a flight to North America, in my case itll be JFK.
Small correction - preclearance is a U.S. thing, not Canada. Only U.S. bound flights are subject to preclearance.

Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
Some on here and other places report having gone to airport 3 hours before. That seems like an insane amount of time. I'm only asking becuase we have only one night in Dublin and trying to buy as much time as possible. Planning on getting to DUB 2 hours before instead of recommended 3. Is this foolish?
Yes.

CBP does have the search and seizure authority at DUB. So not only the passengers, the cargo (i.e. baggage) must be cleared before they can be loaded on the flight.

Your 2-hour is really 1 hour in actual (as you have to complete all formalities 1 hour before departure).

Without knowing how you individually can save time at DUB, it is foolish to push to that kind of time.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Small correction - preclearance is a U.S. thing, not Canada. Only U.S. bound flights are subject to preclearance.

Yes.

CBP does have the search and seizure authority at DUB. So not only the passengers, the cargo (i.e. baggage) must be cleared before they can be loaded on the flight.

Your 2-hour is really 1 hour in actual (as you have to complete all formalities 1 hour before departure).

Without knowing how you individually can save time at DUB, it is foolish to push to that kind of time.
Understood. Thank you so much for the info.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: Avios (Aerclub & BA), Emirates
If you are:
travelling economy,
know where to go,
checkin in advance (and just need bag drop)
have no shopping to do and
have a card or voucher to use the express security lane 90 min is fine.

If there are long lines at the pre-clearance they will call your flight out.

​​​​​
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.