Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aerlingus flight bought using United miles - cash upgrade possible?

Old Jun 20, 19, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

I bought an Aer Lingus flight in economy-saver with United miles (Seattle to Dublin direct oneway). Its is a 016 ticket number.

Has anyone who got this, were they able to pay cash to upgrade a united-mileage-bought aerlingus flight? I called Aer Lingus and they said to go talk to United (which obviously is the wrong answer since i want to pay cash to upgrade not united miles etc). AerLingus's bid-for-upgrade system exists but it seems to be for their own tickets, not 016 ones.

If someone has first-hand experience of upgrading a united-mileage bought aer lingus flight (e.g. they were able to upgrade at the airport) it would be great to get some datapoints (with approx cost for a trans-atlantic upgrade cost).
Old Jun 21, 19, 12:16 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
Its plated 016 so its United's problem
Old Jun 24, 19, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
Has anyone who got this, were they able to pay cash to upgrade a united-mileage-bought aerlingus flight? I called Aer Lingus and they said to go talk to United (which obviously is the wrong answer since i want to pay cash to upgrade not united miles etc). AerLingus's bid-for-upgrade system exists but it seems to be for their own tickets, not 016 ones.
You "bought" the ticket from United, so Aer Lingus won't touch the ticket, save to check you in when the time comes. It's not their ticket and it's not on their stock.

If you want to bid for upgrade, then you should buy the ticket using cash. Tickets on EI issued using ANY kind of miles are not eligible to upgrade in that manner.

Search this Thread