EI App

Old May 28, 19, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
EI App

I have spent most of May travelling in the domestic US and had the pleasure of AA and Delta flights to ATL, LAX, LAS, TPA & DFW amongst others. I was in Y for all of these flights but snared a couple of upgrades on AA as I am Gold there. While the flight quality on both was similar the real differentiator I found was in the Apps that each airline has. Both were miles and miles ahead of the EI App. The info that was available with direct links to the scheduling system informing me of gate changes, delays etc all being very informative. With EI you have to also use something like Flighttracker to keep up with this sort of data.

My bags went missing in LAS and the AA app was very useful in adding destination data and tracking them to arrive a couple of hours later - no queuing at the baggage desk filling in forms.

Mileage was added overnight - the APP was the IFE device and the overall experience was very good. In terms of keeping their user in one App for the whole flight experience the difference to the EI app was night and day.

Anyone else use other apps for comparison ?
Old May 28, 19, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
If EI were able to charge the exorbitant fares that US carriers charge their captive domestic market, then EI could also afford to splash those exaggerated profits on flashy apps.

The app is sufficient for the basics. I don't think EI suffers from having a less functional app than players in a completely different market!

alserire and burnsie21 like this.
Old May 28, 19, 8:14 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Hardly a surprise that a small airline like Aer Lingus doesn't invest as much into their app functionality as the giant U.S. airlines
Old May 28, 19, 9:17 am

Programs: AerClub - Platinum
EI App is perfectly fine for my needs.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 28, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
It'd be great if it had more timely delay information, annoying having to check incoming flights (or in high frequency routes like LHR several flights in advance) to check likelihood of delay. By the time it is shown on the gate / app it's often very late in the process and people may have already left the lounge or other airport facility to wait around at the gate for an age.
Live gate info would be nice also in the app but not huge a deal.
Old May 28, 19, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
If EI were able to charge the exorbitant fares that US carriers charge their captive domestic market, then EI could also afford to splash those exaggerated profits on flashy apps.

The app is sufficient for the basics. I don't think EI suffers from having a less functional app than players in a completely different market!

Hardly a valid exercise in price comparison - how about Dub- LHR on a Friday ?

My point was that the airlines use the apps to keep their customers in one area - and so 'own' the customer. It is a well accepted principle that keeping your App users in one app for all experiences enhances their brand experience and allows you to sell them more stuff while keeping them 'app happy'.

My bag issue above was one point - I made a tight connection in CLT and knew my bags wouldn't make it. I could see ( on the inflight wifi - free on AA app ) that they didn't and would be following on a later flight. I could enter my hotel details and leave the airport immediately on arrival.

With EI that would mean waiting till all bags have been delivered - 30 mins maybe - then queue for baggage assistance - fill in a form and wait for further info.

It doesn't take a lot of investment to do that ( I build apps for a living ) with the amount of data sharing tools there are today. The relative scale of the airlines is not relevant - the customer service ethic is however.

Just my 2p.
mccartje likes this.
Old May 28, 19, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Danash View Post
Both were miles and miles ahead of the EI App. The info that was available with direct links to the scheduling system informing me of gate changes, delays etc all being very informative. With EI you have to also use something like Flighttracker to keep up with this sort of data.

Mileage was added overnight - the APP was the IFE device and the overall experience was very good. In terms of keeping their user in one App for the whole flight experience the difference to the EI app was night and day.

Anyone else use other apps for comparison ?
You dont need to look too far one which I use a lot is the Aegean Airlines App. Does exactly the things you mention. Gate info and alerts to any changes many before the airport screens even update. Also miles go on overnight too. EI could certainly spend a bit more and update theirs. Also lots of tech issues logging in continue to plague the EI one. If Aegean Airlines which is only 20 years old today and a much smaller operation can do it then I cant see why EI cant. The IFE on the A3 app is pretty decent too.
Old May 28, 19, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Hardly a valid exercise in price comparison - how about Dub- LHR on a Friday ?
OK!!!

My point was that the airlines use the apps to keep their customers in one area - and so 'own' the customer. It is a well accepted principle that keeping your App users in one app for all experiences enhances their brand experience and allows you to sell them more stuff while keeping them 'app happy'.
Well, in your bag example, I don't really see that anyone else can "own" the issue.

The potential "cost" of losing a customer who had to wait 30 minutes to report a lost bag is probably one that they are willing to take. And I think the customer service issue is more related to losing the bag in the first place, rather than the "ease" of reporting it.

I'd prefer an airline that gets the behind-the-scenes stuff right and doesn't lose a bag in the first place, rather than one that "streamlines" the process of reporting a bag. (When you get your worldtracer reference, you can always update your record to record new delivery addresses, so the ability to do so in an app is a marginal improvement at most)

It doesn't take a lot of investment to do that ( I build apps for a living ) with the amount of data sharing tools there are today. The relative scale of the airlines is not relevant - the customer service ethic is however.

Just my 2p.
I don't deny that - but it's about more than just building the app and the cost of developing the app. There needs to be all manner of back end stuff that can interface and talk to the app. EI is (I think) pretty notorious for having ancient IT (one of the reasons why oneworld re-integration was delayed, and may never happen) so the "small investment" may turn out to be quite a large investment after all.

Probably one they will eventually have to make, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

I can think of IT improvements that would potentially be more useful - the ability to look up third party bookings - such as bookings made using Aer Club (!) and select seats, etc.
Attached Images   
alserire likes this.
Old May 28, 19, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
EI could, if they wanted to, use technology already rolled out at sister IAG airlines. BA;s app, for instance, gives gate information and boarding notifications. Now, its fat from perfect and would probably need so much work that EI would need to implement Amadeus/Aleta/FLY for it to work which could be done, but at a cost. That is assuming that EI ever have the inclination to move from ASTRAL - its ancient but apparently cheap as chips.

All of that said, flyBe have recently switched over to Amadeus. Their app is a total mess with close to zero functionality it amounts to a set of hyperlinks to web apps.
irishguy28 likes this.

Search this Thread