Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

"Self connecting" in DUB... which flight would you take?

Old Apr 30, 19, 12:26 am
Original Poster

I'm flying SEA-DUB in August (EI award ticket in J), landing at around 12:30 PM on a Saturday. I originally booked a separate DUB-LHR flight (also EI, award ticket in Y) for later that afternoon, departing DUB at 5 PM.

However, I just saw that the original flight was moved from 5 to 7 PM. A 6.5 hour layover at the airport sounds pretty rough, and not long enough to really go out and explore Dublin. It seems the best award alternative to the 7 PM flight is a 2:30 PM EI flight (there's a 3:40 PM option that I can't book with points). However, a 2 hour layover now sounds a bit short, particularly if we're dealing with any possible delays (probably unlikely given that it's August?) and in case we, for whatever reason, are unable to check our bags through at SEA and can't use the "connections" lane in DUB.

Which would you guys recommend: (1) keep the 7 PM flight on points and power through the 6.5 hour layover, (2) change to the 2:30 PM flight on points for a 2 hour layover, and hope that EI accommodates us on another flight in case we miss it, or (3) book the 3:40 flight with cash, and hope that a 3 hour layover is fine?
Old Apr 30, 19, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Call EI and see what they can do. For airline mandated changes award space is not usually required. You might get a bit of run-around, depending on who you booked your flight through?
Old Apr 30, 19, 3:45 am

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
I'd call up and see if EI will change the flight for you free of charge as they moved it in the first place. If popping into Dublin for a few hours was on the cards then you could look at a later flight out of Dublin to give you some time to leave the airport and have a wander around Dublin assuming you can check your bags through so don't have to pick them up, there is a small arrivals lounge you can use also if trying this option. Dublin is pretty quick to get in and out of in general.
Old Apr 30, 19, 5:32 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
Minimum connecting time in Dublin 75 minutes.

Seattle would be able to check bags to LHR and issue the boarding card so no messing with collecting bags and rechecking

Transfer in Dublin is a matter of seconds, flash boarding card, super quick passport control and you are dropped within 50m of the normal LHR gate when you leave the transfer area.
Old Apr 30, 19, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
MCT is irrelevant as OP is on separate tickets. The issue here is that he bears 100% of the risk of a delay. Thus, this is solely a question of OP's risk tolerance for having to purchase a new DUB-LON ticket on EI or some other carrier. Best bet here is to ask EI to change to the later flight based on its own change. If EI won't do that, I advocate either the later or much later flight which gives time for some downtime in Dublin itself.
Old Apr 30, 19, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Does EI publish its policy anywhere on checking bags through for back to back EI flights on separate tickets? I sent a quick DM on twitter to confirm that I would be able to check my bags through at SEA and was told I would have to pick my bags up in DUB because of the separate tickets.
Old Apr 30, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by moos16 View Post
Does EI publish its policy anywhere on checking bags through for back to back EI flights on separate tickets? I sent a quick DM on twitter to confirm that I would be able to check my bags through at SEA and was told I would have to pick my bags up in DUB because of the separate tickets.
Not publicly. There is anecdotal evidence that they will check baggage onwards, but the general view is "don't count on it".
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP is at all interested in seeing Dublin, why not do a true "stopover" between the separate tickets and spend a couple days?

Are there other flights on the DUB-LHR ticket that would be forfeited if the first segment is missed? Or is the worst case scenario that OP must buy a separate last minute ticket from DUB to London?
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If the OP is at all interested in seeing Dublin, why not do a true "stopover" between the separate tickets and spend a couple days?

Are there other flights on the DUB-LHR ticket that would be forfeited if the first segment is missed? Or is the worst case scenario that OP must buy a separate last minute ticket from DUB to London?
I have a flight out of LHR (separate ticket on BA) the next day at noon to Greece, so unfortunately a longer layover in DUB isn’t an option.
Old Apr 30, 19, 3:27 pm

Programs: AerClub - Platinum
To answert he question asked and to be on the safe side I'd go with 3.40 p.m. If you go for 2.30 and there's any delay at all then you're going to get hammered for a last minute flight to LHR.

Search this Thread