Adding tickets to EI mobile app

Old Feb 25, 19, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AerClub Silver, BA Exec
Adding tickets to EI mobile app

I recently booked DUB-BUS return in business (J) class with Amex travel to avail of their 200 cashback promotion. I decided to make my own LHR-DUB connection using Avios rewards as the additional cash price on LHR-BOS (via DUB) just wasn't competitive. So, bookings made and itineraries in hand I tried to add them to the Aer Lingus mobile app. This is what happened:
  1. DUB-BOS PNR (J) shows as a "Smart" ticket on the app, with no information (---) on baggage. Will this affect my entry to the 51st & Green lounge or the correct accumulation of AerClub tier points? Can I be confident the ticket actually includes checked baggage?
  2. LHR-DUB Avios rewards flight shows as a "Saver" on the app, again with no information (---) on baggage. Although Avios' say that all reward tickets contain checked baggage, when I attempted to check in on the IE mobile app, it appeared to include no baggage and adding 1 bag would incur a charge. I proceeded to check in for one leg to see what would happen. Can I be confident this ticket includes a checked bag, and can I proceed directly to bag drop?
  3. Final minor points: can I use the EI lounge at LHR T2 if I have a non-connecting connection to business in DUB? Can I use fast lane at DUB?
Old Feb 25, 19, 6:03 pm

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
Originally Posted by anydroid View Post
I recently booked DUB-BUS return in business (J) class with Amex travel to avail of their 200 cashback promotion. I decided to make my own LHR-DUB connection using Avios rewards as the additional cash price on LHR-BOS (via DUB) just wasn't competitive. So, bookings made and itineraries in hand I tried to add them to the Aer Lingus mobile app. This is what happened:
  1. DUB-BOS PNR (J) shows as a "Smart" ticket on the app, with no information (---) on baggage. Will this affect my entry to the 51st & Green lounge or the correct accumulation of AerClub tier points? Can I be confident the ticket actually includes checked baggage?
  2. LHR-DUB Avios rewards flight shows as a "Saver" on the app, again with no information (---) on baggage. Although Avios' say that all reward tickets contain checked baggage, when I attempted to check in on the IE mobile app, it appeared to include no baggage and adding 1 bag would incur a charge. I proceeded to check in for one leg to see what would happen. Can I be confident this ticket includes a checked bag, and can I proceed directly to bag drop?
  3. Final minor points: can I use the EI lounge at LHR T2 if I have a non-connecting connection to business in DUB? Can I use fast lane at DUB?
1: I'd be concerned that it says smart ticket and not business, have you tried to check it on the website? A business ticket will include 2 checked bags (even a smart fare has 1). I'm not sure how Amex travel operates, if like a TA then its possible EIs system is just not reading it correctly. You should also be able to select a seat for free (and these are not all the same so good to do your research and select appropriately). At check in if you have a J fare then TPs and avios plus lounge access will be fine.

2: EI handles its own avios tickets badly. You should be confident that it includes checked baggage.

3: I think officially as 2 separate bookings you don't officially have access but I'd wager if you show your business BP or booking (assuming you can get it clearly to show its business and not 'Smart') then they would grant you access but don't count on it.

EIs twitter account is generally good at checking things but again not sure how amex travel works so their ability to help may be limited. Hopefully someone else on the forum here can provide clearer answers.
Old Feb 26, 19, 12:12 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Silver
Simplest step is when checking in at LHR to be asked to check in the whole way, you cannot check in on the app for US bound flights.

That gets you the boarding cards in one go and luggage etc goes straight through if its same day

You can then get access at the LHR T2 lounge and the DUB 51st state lounge
Old Feb 27, 19, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AerClub Silver, BA Exec
Replying to my own thread...

I called EI reservations and this is what they said
  1. J ticket confirmed. There is a problem with the app. Baggage allowance confirmed; there is a problem with the app. Lounge access possible using boarding pass issued at airport (no online checkin for transatlantic -- problem with the app?!)
  2. Checked baggage allowance for Avios confirmed; there is a problem with the app. Advised to go through airport checkin (even if checked in on the app) as self-service bag drop may not be aware of correct checked baggage allowance (problem with Avios, or the app?!)
  3. Yes if Silver. Yes if Business.

Search this Thread