FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   Is this the end of free seat assignments for Concierge? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/1956704-end-free-seat-assignments-concierge.html)

trustno1 Feb 17, 2019 4:38 am

Is this the end of free seat assignments for Concierge?

Rang the Conc line this morning to sort out a sched change issue (EI cancellation). While I was on I decided to use the call to sort out some seat assignments. Since Aer Club came into being I have always used the Conc line to book seats but was told by a gentleman on the phone that this was perk was ending and that I would have to pay. I’ll leave it for 24 hours and try to get another person and see what happens.

RMDrive Feb 17, 2019 5:30 am

Originally Posted by trustno1 (Post 30788311)
Rang the Conc line this morning to sort out a sched change issue (EI cancellation). While I was on I decided to use the call to sort out some seat assignments. Since Aer Club came into being I have always used the Conc line to book seats but was told by a gentleman on the phone that this was perk was ending and that I would have to pay. I’ll leave it for 24 hours and try to get another person and see what happens.

Wow. Will check this out later in the week as I'm flying back from ORD on Thursday.

trustno1 Feb 18, 2019 7:06 am

I e-mailed Concierge this morning and here is their response. Short, sweet and snappy.

Bear in mind that I travelled with EI on approx 50 round trips in 2018 and all bar about 10 were at the Saver fare. Therefore on 40 different bookings I had seat assignments given to me free of charge. I dealt with a number of staff throughout the year on the Concierge line and none of them charged me. The can't all have been wrong. The e-mail below would indicate that there has been a change of practice (as opposed to policy).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your email.

Free seat assignments are not a benefit as a Concierge Tier Member of AerClub.

Whilst you may have benefited from this by ringing the Concierge Help Desk in the past, I can confirm that this is not a benefit of AerClub and you should have been charged for these seats.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

AerClub Support Team
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mccartje Feb 18, 2019 8:51 am

Is there more than 1 data point than of the OP being refused to illustrate a change in practice (as opposed to a newbie on the line going by the book)? Obviously it was never an official benefit of concierge tier but they did it anyway, granted I only availed of this on a couple of occasions myself but it was also always done without any problem.

You always get the odd person not recognising that maybe a bit of flexibility for high status pax is fine, I once got told at the check in desk in ORD when I asked for an aisle seat further forward in Y that there was some available but I'd have to pay for it, tried to explain that this usually was not the case but met with a blank stare and just chalked it down to wrong person wrong time. I would have been more bothered about it subsequently but I got bumped to business at the gate so happy days.