avios.com redemption

Old Feb 4, 19, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
avios.com redemption

how is that the ticket price to LHR from ORK is 4000, with 76€ TFCs, there are a lot of flights for cheaper than 76€! with EI of course, ryan air is 1/4 the price.
Old Feb 4, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
Originally Posted by W213Sal View Post
how is that the ticket price to LHR from ORK is 4000, with 76 TFCs, there are a lot of flights for cheaper than 76! with EI of course, ryan air is 1/4 the price.
Welcome to the world of avios redemptions where getting good value is not straightforward.
Old Feb 4, 19, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccartje View Post
Welcome to the world of avios redemptions where getting good value is not straightforward.
if by straightforward you mean at all.... TFC the other way is only 26 tho which is a tiny bit tempting, but then again I think I might just fly FR and pack a couple of underwear, worse comes to worse you can always turn them inside out

JFK in Y is 26k avios and 200 odd euro, the 26k avios is good value but when you've 1 way starting from 183 I'm not sure :/ might look up Dub - Doh and see how much that is
Old Feb 4, 19, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by W213Sal View Post
if by straightforward you mean at all.... TFC the other way is only 26 tho which is a tiny bit tempting, but then again I think I might just fly FR and pack a couple of underwear, worse comes to worse you can always turn them inside out

JFK in Y is 26k avios and 200 odd euro, the 26k avios is good value but when you've 1 way starting from 183 I'm not sure :/ might look up Dub - Doh and see how much that is
TATL flights start to save you a bit but to get decent value you need to get the premium cabins and be sensible where you start your trip. Of course for that you need a lot of avios which is not easy to accrue over here without a decent rewards credit card. Personally I save as much as possible and try to get some business class long haul options for myself and the other half.
Old Feb 4, 19, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccartje View Post
TATL flights start to save you a bit but to get decent value you need to get the premium cabins and be sensible where you start your trip. Of course for that you need a lot of avios which is not easy to accrue over here without a decent rewards credit card. Personally I save as much as possible and try to get some business class long haul options for myself and the other half.
thanks! That's what I was intending on doing I'll probably stick to that, I get to fly 2-3 long haul Js a yr (they don't care if I upgrade with my own money), so saving avios for long haul holiday upgrade is probably a good idea. Having to find reward availability to upgrade is a pain though! and on some carriers its non existent (looking at you CX)
Old Feb 4, 19, 1:35 pm

Just for fun I priced out a trip on point and my usual JFK-DUB route was 33k points plus $500! Makes no sense at al when I just booked a RT flight, same route, for under $500. Why would you ever do that? These points are practically worthless.
Old Feb 4, 19, 3:16 pm

Programs: AerClub - Platinum
Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
Just for fun I priced out a trip on point and my usual JFK-DUB route was 33k points plus $500! Makes no sense at al when I just booked a RT flight, same route, for under $500. Why would you ever do that? These points are practically worthless.
It's a shocking scheme really. I'm in it for the status. Lounge access and priority boarding do the job for me. But the Avios are virtually worthless unless you use them for Business Class. They aren't worth a damn for economy.
Old Feb 4, 19, 3:20 pm

Status is pretty garbage too. Lounge and priority boarding are nice, but what about priority security at JFK or being able to pick the paid seats up front for free? Not asking for a lot here.
alserire likes this.
Old Feb 4, 19, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AerClub Platinum, IHG Rewards Club Platinum Ambassador
Avios have only been useful for domestic US travel for me. 7,500 Avios + 2.60 for most non-transcontinental AA flights in Y.
mccartje likes this.
Old Feb 5, 19, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
Yeah I think they load the 'surcharges' on US originating flights more so than Ireland, I think the theory being it is easier to earn avios (credit cards etc) in the US so it kinda evens tings out....

I got 2 BA CW seats to MSY last year for 133K avios and €400 odd which was good value in my book (return in Y with EI from MIA added another €190 so out in J and back in Y for 2 people 183K avios and ~€600, 1 off-peak (J DUB-LHR-MSY) and 1 peak (Y MIA-DUB), I was quite happy with that).
Old Feb 5, 19, 7:46 am

I transfer the Avios to BA then call up BA to book. JFK-DUB return in Y next month for 2 was 52,000 avios plus $207 total.

Search this Thread