FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aer Lingus | AerClub (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/)
-   -   SFO-DUB-LHR - do I need to go through customs/immigration in DUB? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub/1953817-sfo-dub-lhr-do-i-need-go-through-customs-immigration-dub.html)

kayexalate Jan 30, 2019 10:16 am

SFO-DUB-LHR - do I need to go through customs/immigration in DUB?

Hi all:

family of 4 (2 adults, 2 young kids) will be flying from SFO-DUB-LHR on Aer Lingus. Right now I'm scheduled for a 1 hr 55 min connection through Dublin. It's all bought on one ticket and so part of the same itinerary

We're all US passport holders

Will we need to go through customs and immigration in Dublin before connecting to our DUB-LHR flight?

If so, does that include collecting our checked luggage and then rechecking it in? or will our luggage go on directly to our final destination (LHR)

I'm not sure if we can just transit through DUB airport without having to go through any immigration/customs if we're connecting to another Aer Lingus flight

Lastly, does anyone know if there are any priority pass lounges I can hit up during that transit time?

Thanks.

alserire Jan 30, 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 30719338)
Hi all:

family of 4 (2 adults, 2 young kids) will be flying from SFO-DUB-LHR on Aer Lingus. Right now I'm scheduled for a 1 hr 55 min connection through Dublin. It's all bought on one ticket and so part of the same itinerary

We're all US passport holders

Will we need to go through customs and immigration in Dublin before connecting to our DUB-LHR flight?

If so, does that include collecting our checked luggage and then rechecking it in? or will our luggage go on directly to our final destination (LHR)

I'm not sure if we can just transit through DUB airport without having to go through any immigration/customs if we're connecting to another Aer Lingus flight

Lastly, does anyone know if there are any priority pass lounges I can hit up during that transit time?

Thanks.

Luggage will be checked through to LHR. Although I am not totally certain the following probably applies. The UK and Ireland are a common travel area. All flights from DUB arrive in LHR as domestic flights. On that basis you will have to clear immigration in DUB as there are no immigration checks in London. Follow Flight Connections signs when you disembark at DUB. You may not have too much time for a lounge depending on how long it takes to clear immigration. There are two lounges but unless you're travelling in J class you'll have to pay to access them. As noted will not need to clear immigration in London but you will proceed through the customs channels there.

kayexalate Jan 30, 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by alserire (Post 30719640)
Luggage will be checked through to LHR. Although I am not totally certain the following probably applies. The UK and Ireland are a common travel area. You arrive in LHR as a domestic passenger would. On that basis you will probably have to clear immigration in DUB, On that basis it's unlikely you'll have too much time for a lounge. There are two lounges but unless you're travelling in J class you'll have to pay to access them. You will not need to clear immigration in London but you will proceed through the customs channels there.

Thanks--forgot to mention we'll be travelling in July--so after Brexit. Not sure if that impacts things since the UK will no longer be part of the EU but Ireland will still be?
So will I have to go through customs/immigration again when deplaning in LHR?

ROKNA Jan 30, 2019 11:21 am

As it stands today you will pass through immigration in Dublin during transfer. You will not pass through security or customs and your bags will go direct to LHR

Upon arrival at LHR you will pass through customs (which is nowhere as painful as US CBP).

Brexit? No one has any idea, we can start with will there even be a flight from DUB to LHR? If there are flights it is unlikely the above will change in any way, the only thing that could happen is another immigration check upon arrival at LHR (which strictly speaking should be enforced for all non IE/UK citizens today regardless and is randomly applied these days to non EU citizens)

ajeleonard Jan 30, 2019 11:24 am

Brexit in theory has no impact, the CTA pre-dates UK and Irish membership of the EU, and neither countries are Schengen members

mccartje Jan 30, 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 30719338)

Thanks.

Yes there is PP accessible lounge in T2 and T1 both run by the airport authority (DAA). They are fine, basic snacks, drinks and comfortable chairs, T2 tends to be quieter I think. Location in T2 is beside the actual aer lingus lounge (which unless arriving business you can't access).

I've guested 3 with PP into the T2 lounge before no problem, and as it tends to be quieter this is another reason to target this one.
The T1 lounge is slightly nicer but unless your flight is going from T1 side probably just best to head to T2. FYI you can walk between T2 and T1 handily enough.

uncleruckus Jan 30, 2019 12:57 pm

On a similar note, If I am traveling JFK-DUB-AMS on a single ticket all on Aer Lingus do I need to clear customs in DUB? Since I need to go through customs in AMS I don't think I need to do anything in DUB?

mccartje Jan 30, 2019 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by uncleruckus (Post 30720154)
On a similar note, If I am traveling JFK-DUB-AMS on a single ticket all on Aer Lingus do I need to clear customs in DUB? Since I need to go through customs in AMS I don't think I need to do anything in DUB?

Think I remember a similar thread previously and the poster said that it was just a boarding pass scan only and straight into T2 shopping area.

blagger Jan 31, 2019 1:36 pm

Dublin connections is a bit of a mess.

AFAIK everyone needs to go though an immigration check when connecting simply because UK and domestic departures aren't segregated from others.

Where you do the immigration check (new connections centre, old connections centre, or arrivals immigration) and whether you need to clear security depends on what gate you arrive at and what time. The first regular flight of the day arriving at T2 from a place that doesn't meet EU security standards is Emirates, so once that first Emirates arrives (11.20ish in the winter), anyone whose flight arrives at a gate that's not physically segregated from Emirates passengers is "dirty" from a security perspective and needs to go though security screening. There are barriers between gates 409/10 and 411/12 to keep part of the concourse permanently "clean".

Early one morning last week, I arrived on EI at gate 407 or 409 (gates in the area that becomes "dirty" when Emirates arrives). The announcement on the flight before we landed was out of date and said "connecting passengers go left just before immigration" (directing people to the old connections centre). As I exited the plane, the barriers to the left (separating the always-clean arrivals from the possibly-dirty ones) appeared to be open (passengers from my flight could get through the barriers to the new connections centre in the always-clean area). The old connections centre (to the left of arrivals immigration) was closed, with signs telling people to exit through arrivals immigration. An inconsistent and potentially confusing experience for connecting passengers!

flame Feb 1, 2019 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 30719702)
Brexit in theory has no impact, the CTA pre-dates UK and Irish membership of the EU, and neither countries are Schengen members

The CTA ( Common Travel area ) is only applicable to citizens of the United Kingdom & Republic of Ireland. Any passenger not carrying a passport from either of these 2 countries is subject to full immigration control in either jurisdiction. Although checks are at best minimal, people need to be aware of the fact that they can and may, still be checked traveling in either direction

As far as Brexit is concerned, my understanding is that immigration checks will be more common and stringent should Brexit go ahead

sjm0028 Feb 19, 2019 1:29 pm

I travel to London from BOS through DUB often. Passing through DUB T2 is easy. You follow signs "connecting passengers". First you show your boarding pass then go through quick easy emigration. You go through shopping area and then go down to the
T2 "The Lounge" that is good. It is near the EI LHR flight gates. Going through DUB is much easier than through LHR with long lines and lots of questions. Returning to the US though DUB is also low hassle because you pass through emigration at DUB.
I do not know what will happen with Brexit, but sometimes London flights have you take a bus to a separate area and then board the flight from there.

kayexalate Feb 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by sjm0028 (Post 30798410)
I travel to London from BOS through DUB often. Passing through DUB T2 is easy. You follow signs "connecting passengers". First you show your boarding pass then go through quick easy emigration. You go through shopping area and then go down to the
T2 "The Lounge" that is good. It is near the EI LHR flight gates. Going through DUB is much easier than through LHR with long lines and lots of questions. Returning to the US though DUB is also low hassle because you pass through emigration at DUB.
I do not know what will happen with Brexit, but sometimes London flights have you take a bus to a separate area and then board the flight from there.

Thanks. which lounge in T2 are you referring to? (or maybe there is only one lounge?) --seems like my priority pass will work. if so, that's great that it's near the LHR gates since I have 1:55 connection time.

UAPremExecflyer Feb 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 30798556)
Thanks. which lounge in T2 are you referring to? (or maybe there is only one lounge?) --seems like my priority pass will work. if so, that's great that it's near the LHR gates since I have 1:55 connection time.

This lounge run by DAA - the one referred to by mccartje in post #6

kayexalate Feb 20, 2019 8:33 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer (Post 30799398)
This lounge run by DAA - the one referred to by mccartje in post #6

'
Great--it looks like this lounge in T2 (apparently the only lounge in T2) is priority pass eligible.

Thanks.