Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by user2018
Also you have comprehensive travel insurance for €96 per year
Have you actually looked at the policy?

For eg, Euro 250 maximum on personal possessions (and with a Euro 75 excess) so max Euro 175 back if your smartphone or laptop is nicked.

Your kid gets killed? Euro 3200 compensation etc.

Only good bit seems to be coverage to age 80.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Have you actually looked at the policy?

For eg, Euro 250 maximum on personal possessions (and with a Euro 75 excess) so max Euro 175 back if your smartphone or laptop is nicked.

Your kid gets killed? Euro 3200 compensation etc.

Only good bit seems to be coverage to age 80.
The value of the policy on offer with the card is more likely in the €40-50 commercially available. It's not a great policy and only gives basic level of cover. Certainly no where near covering the annual cost but if you are happy for that level of cover then fine, plus it covers your spouse, kids and authorised users.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:03 am

Also I checked with BOI, they say the card can't be linked to SuperValu rewards.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: EI Silver, AF Ivory, SPG Gold, HH, IHG Priority Club, Choice Privileges
Card was available to apply for yesterday ( 21st January 2019 ) but was not available online this morning

My take on it ... in a word "Pathetic"
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by flame
Card was available to apply for yesterday ( 21st January 2019 ) but was not available online this morning

My take on it ... in a word "Pathetic"
I just noticed that myself....either they've scraped it due to all the negative feedback already or are coming back with an improved and more realistic offering.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:45 am

I asked BOI about the card, said they are "updating the content for this product" and it will be available "shortly"......could mean anything I guess but here's hoping for some real value in the offer.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mccartje
I asked BOI about the card, said they are "updating the content for this product" and it will be available "shortly"......could mean anything I guess but here's hoping for some real value in the offer.
It would be pretty impressive (bordering on unrealistic unfortunately) if they suddenly changed the entire product on the back of a grumpy FT thread and a grumpy Head for Points blog post!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
It would be pretty impressive (bordering on unrealistic unfortunately) if they suddenly changed the entire product on the back of a grumpy FT thread and a grumpy Head for Points blog post!
I agree, I fear 'content' means changing the picture on the card! But one can hope for some minor tweaks to improve the offering, don't underestimate yourself, a well placed blog falling into the right hands.....
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mccartje
I agree, I fear 'content' means changing the picture on the card! But one can hope for some minor tweaks to improve the offering, don't underestimate yourself, a well placed blog falling into the right hands.....
It has the wrong logo on the card ....
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:06 am

It's back up, no changes apart from the logo.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I'd probably consider this if it had no monthly fee.

The "free flights" is arguably not very free. I wrote about this today in a blog post. Looking at the first week of March from Dublin to London Heathrow, you save €48.95 per person on the flights if you choose the most expensive ones. Most of the flights are selling at base rate, which means you save €1.98 on a fare of over €100 as the rest is fees and charges which you still need to pay.

I think 1 Avios per €4 is stingy, and when compared to the UK American Express Avios cards, it's not very good at all. One of those cards has no annual fee and you earn 1 Avios per £1 and get 5,000 Avios for spending £1,000 three months. I know it's a different market, but even so.

Still, it would be a good card for those with no AerClub status who tend to travel Aer Lingus a few times a year and can use the priority boarding, fast-track and lounge access. Perhaps.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I'd probably consider this if it had no monthly fee.

The "free flights" is arguably not very free. I wrote about this today in a blog post. Looking at the first week of March from Dublin to London Heathrow, you save €48.95 per person on the flights if you choose the most expensive ones. Most of the flights are selling at base rate, which means you save €1.98 on a fare of over €100 as the rest is fees and charges which you still need to pay.

I think 1 Avios per €4 is stingy, and when compared to the UK American Express Avios cards, it's not very good at all. One of those cards has no annual fee and you earn 1 Avios per £1 and get 5,000 Avios for spending £1,000 three months. I know it's a different market, but even so.

Still, it would be a good card for those with no AerClub status who tend to travel Aer Lingus a few times a year and can use the priority boarding, fast-track and lounge access. Perhaps.
Looked at this but not very appealing. As you say annual fee puts me off with not a lot in return if like me you already have Aerclub status. If they have a 20K sign up bonus I might do it but until then its a no no for me. Ireland is still in the dark ages when it comes to airline and other credit cards.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:32 am

This is exactly what ZERO competition in a market place looks like.
Pathetic
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Looked at this but not very appealing. As you say annual fee puts me off with not a lot in return if like me you already have Aerclub status. If they have a 20K sign up bonus I might do it but until then its a no no for me. Ireland is still in the dark ages when it comes to airline and other credit cards.
I agree, if they had a sign up bonus of 20,000 Avios, I'd dive in straight away. Even if it was spend €2,000 in 3 months to get it, I'd find that worthwhile as that gives me something tangible that I can use.

You're not wrong with regards to Ireland being in the dark ages in this respect. It would be nice if other banks decided to work with Aer Lingus and better this offer.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Drums
This is exactly what ZERO competition in a market place looks like.
Pathetic
Agreed, but I guess 1 option (however poor) is a start. If another institution comes to the table then at least there is a competitor.

If you fly EI for work regularly (say 800-1K spend per month) and book all your flights/hotels/car rental plus make use of the odd perk then you can justify the cost just about. If you can make good use of avios would you pay 100 euro for 15000 avios? That's not a bad deal taken on its own terms (i.e. if groupon offered that I'd say a lot of people would jump at it). But if you're not going to spend personally with EI (i.e. an employer books your flights and other travel costs directly) then it's likely you will lose out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.