Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Kavanagh interview excerpt A321LR use

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kavanagh interview excerpt A321LR use

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Kavanagh interview excerpt A321LR use business class euro routes

Aer Lingus plans to sweat the new long-range aircraft. Once they touch down in Dublin of a morning, they will be used to serve short-haul routes around Europe.

“I’ve been excited about this aircraft for the last seven years,” Kavanagh says, with a noticeable excitement. Flying to and from the east coast of America consumes about 15 hours of the asset, with nine hours a day going spare.

“They no longer go spare because when they come back to Dublin they will be going through to Paris, to Amsterdam, or through to Barcelona. This will also allow Aer Lingus to offer a business-class service on these European routes, something that was axed in 2002.

“When we have the long range aircraft going on into Europe, they will have a business cabin with full lie-flat [seats]. So they’ll get consistent service from all of the gateways in North America to the principal gateways in Europe.”
Seems the A321LR will have some routine use on euro routes with business service (interesting if this is full service business with meals, drinks etc). Excerpt from interview in Irish Times. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...year-1.3730472
irishguy28 and Dambus like this.

Last edited by mccartje; Dec 14, 2018 at 4:58 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:55 am
Original Poster

“We expect there to be a lot of demand,” he said. The service will be available on a number of flights out of Dublin, including to London, Paris, Amsterdam and Barcelona, which are among the most popular onward destinations for American travellers.

“It will be offered from the third quarter of 2019,” he said. “The first of the aircraft arrives in June into service, the second in August and then we’ll start to schedule the aircraft on to the principal high-volume business routes into Europe.”

Eight of the 14 new aircraft will fly onwards to Europe, Mr Kavanagh said.

“It will give us the ability to offer a full end-to-end business cabin experience to the five or six principal European destinations. That gets us 50 to 60 per cent of the opportunity,” Mr Kavanagh said.

Mr Kavanagh, who steps down as Aer Lingus chief executive at the end of this month, added: “All that will be on offer will be the space and the comfort. We are not going to be reintroducing bespoke catering. There will be catering but it will be the same as you buy on board, it will just be complimentary. We will keep the process relatively simple.”
So further to that, no different catering, just complimentary but same stuff. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...ghts-1.3730604
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Aerclub Concierge, UA*S, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by mccartje
So further to that, no different catering, just complimentary but same stuff. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...ghts-1.3730604
So Dublin is the new Shannon
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:05 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I see this development with great happiness, despite never having flown AerLingus before... The article states that the A321LR will be regularily used on European routes such as to Paris, London etc. and therefore offer a REAL Business class seat on certain european! Imo this is huge!
(Until now the only other carrier to have something similar is BA with a few ex-BMI A321s they use on longer route to Tel Aviv, Baku, Beirut, Cairo and Amman. The only other airline to have Business eats (although not lief flat) would be Aeroflot.)

I certainly hope that some other central European carriers follow the example...

Last edited by Nick Art; Dec 19, 2018 at 9:10 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick Art
I see this development with great happiness, despite never having flown AerLingus before... The article states that the A321LR will be regularily used on European routes such as to Paris, London etc. and therefore offer a REAL Business class seat on certain european! Imo this is huge!
(Until now the only other carrier to have something similar is BA with a few ex-BMI A321s they use on longer route to Tel Aviv or Moscow (and even there I'm not sure they even exist anymore) or Aeroflot.)

I certainly hope that some other central European carriers follow the example...
Indeed. I think Turkish airlines have real business class as you say on their routes to Europe also (I've never flown them however). There may be a slight snag in the european routes with availability, from what I read into it, the seats will be prioritised for those travelling from or onwards to the US/Canada so as to offer a full business class service. I don't know how exactly they will manage this but I'm guessing not all business seats will be opened up for those purely on the european leg. Maybe only a % of them will be or maybe they will only be released based on loading of TATL pax. It may end up frustrating those who wish to book business on european routes that they are even more frustrated knowing there are seats up the front but with the inability to routinely book them!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Indeed. I think Turkish airlines have real business class as you say on their routes to Europe also (I've never flown them however). There may be a slight snag in the european routes with availability, from what I read into it, the seats will be prioritised for those travelling from or onwards to the US/Canada so as to offer a full business class service. I don't know how exactly they will manage this but I'm guessing not all business seats will be opened up for those purely on the european leg. Maybe only a % of them will be or maybe they will only be released based on loading of TATL pax. It may end up frustrating those who wish to book business on european routes that they are even more frustrated knowing there are seats up the front but with the inability to routinely book them!
I think (and hope) they will open up all or at least half of the seats on the flight inventory (as Lufthansa and Swiss do for example), and when a TATL connection flight is booked it just subtracts the seat from the flight inventory. (as LH and LX do right now). Given, they won't be as flexible as before, but I think it's doable.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:18 pm

There are a few other carriers that offer flatbed J Class on some select routes within Europe. IB LHR-MAD springs to mind and LA FRA-MAD and other 5th Freedom.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DELLAS
There are a few other carriers that offer flatbed J Class on some select routes within Europe. IB LHR-MAD springs to mind and LA FRA-MAD and other 5th Freedom.
That is true, but those are operated by long haul aircraft usually, so having lie flats on shorthaul aircraft is very rare in europe.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Aeroflot offer proper business class

The MAD-LHR is really just a bigger aircraft to carry freight, passengers are a secondary element.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
While this is great news for the transit Atlantic business class passenger, the timing is going to make it largely impractical to matter much for inter-European business travel. Remember this is only one flight a day. It will leave Dublin around 730 and depart from Europe at around 1100. While the outbound leaving Dublin at 730 would be nice for some business class passengers the 1100 is really impractical for most business travelers headed to Dublin.

Last edited by rcurry01; Dec 22, 2018 at 2:39 pm Reason: Typos
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:07 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Originally Posted by rcurry01
While this is great news for the transit Atlantic business class passenger, the timing is going to make it largely impractical to matter much for inter-European business travel. Remember this is only one flight a day. It will leave Dublin around 730 and depart from Europe at around 1100. While the outbound leaving Dublin at 730 would be nice for some business class passengers the 1100 is really impractical for most business travelers headed to Dublin.
I tend to agree. The addition of this aircraft onto early morning runs into some destinations in Europe will be attractive to biz pax originating out of the US. Will EI be able to charge more to these flyers....maybe but I don't think it would be a material amount. At the end of the day, these aircraft are to facilitate opening up thinner routes into the US, the addition of a business class run into Europe is a nice by-product.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:58 am
Original Poster

https://www.ausbt.com.au/here-is-aer...business-class

Nothing surprising in this, as expected same seat and layout as we thought.

Last edited by mccartje; Jan 30, 2019 at 5:13 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
https://www.ausbt.com.au/here-is-aer...business-class

Nothing surprising in this, as expected same seat and layout as we thought.
Those renders seem to be wrong though, they depict the last row as 1-1 but it's actually 2-2. Current 757s are

1-1
2-2
1-1
2-2

A321LR seat maps show another 2-2 row at the front for 16 seats over the current 12.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alancostello
Those renders seem to be wrong though, they depict the last row as 1-1 but it's actually 2-2. Current 757s are

1-1
2-2
1-1
2-2

A321LR seat maps show another 2-2 row at the front for 16 seats over the current 12.
Agreed actually looking again prob not based on the A321LR at all.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Do we know if these A321’s are loaded for intra-Europe bookings yet ? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.