Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked baggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Checked baggage

Going to Manchester, UK from Chicago US on Aer Lingus with Dublin connection to Manchester on Stobart Air. If baggage weight allowed by Aer Lingus is checked, then for Stobart Air and different weight allowances, is their a charge? Know that hand baggage is accepted at 7kg and 20 kg per person checked. How does this all work out if Aer Lingus accepts up to 50 lbs free one per person? Do we land up paying more to Stobart?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Under US law, the base allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment is the allowance for all segments of the same ticket. This would be the case no matter where your connection takes you or on what carrier.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Deal here is 7kg cabin baggage, this is a restriction on the aircraft in use on regional routes.

The rules are the baggage allowance on the longest sector apply. The checked is whatever is on the ticket, 23kg is the standard TATL allowance for EI and this applies regardless of the order of flights
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ROKNA
Deal here is 7kg cabin baggage, this is a restriction on the aircraft in use on regional routes.

The rules are the baggage allowance on the longest sector apply. The checked is whatever is on the ticket, 23kg is the standard TATL allowance for EI and this applies regardless of the order of flights
Just to be clear although it does not matter in this instance, this is completely incorrect.

On tickets originating or destined for the US, the allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all subsequent segments of the same ticket, including a return to the US.

Here, presuming that this is an EI-marketed ticket, EI's allowance for ORD-DUB will apply to the entire ticket, including the onwards segment to MAN (and return if there is one). While the longest segment is also ORD-DUB and thus the same result is achieved by either method, the distinction is an important and often welcome benefit on many tickets.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:10 am

Your checked luggage will be the same but as ROKNA said hand baggage will be restricted in a sense due to aircraft type. All but the smallest roller carry on will not fit with you in the overheads. However I think it is likely that even if your carry on exceeds 7kg (as standard roller carry ons often do) or is just too large it will be stowed below for free (especially if the baggage rules carry over from the TATL leg for hand luggage also). Since you are checking luggage anyway this should be fine for you unless you are carrying fragile items (e.g. laptop), in which case try bring a slimline laptop bag that can stay with you.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mccartje
Your checked luggage will be the same but as ROKNA said hand baggage will be restricted in a sense due to aircraft type. All but the smallest roller carry on will not fit with you in the overheads. However I think it is likely that even if your carry on exceeds 7kg (as standard roller carry ons often do) or is just too large it will be stowed below for free (especially if the baggage rules carry over from the TATL leg for hand luggage also). Since you are checking luggage anyway this should be fine for you unless you are carrying fragile items (e.g. laptop), in which case try bring a slimline laptop bag that can stay with you.
The new ATRs have slightly larger bins than previous -200/500 models. 24-25cm bags will fit, otherwise it will have to go under the seat underneath. I've never seen EI gate-check or weigh cabin bags at Manchester or Cork. I've done 70 Aer Lingus Regional flights, but only 3 from Dublin so I'm not quite so sure, but you shouldn't have a problem. I have seen cabin crew "stick it in the back" if the bag cannot be accommodated in the cabin. There is a small loose-load hold at the rear of the aircraft, where things can be stowed. EI don't have any sort of valet baggage service like is seen on US regional jets, so if it does get formally checked it will be retrieved from the baggage hall.
mccartje likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I believe I have a related question and don't want to start a new thread unnecessarily.

I am flying BHX-DUB-BOS-CLE. I'm on a single ticket, with all the flights on the same day.

I'm going to check a bag into the hold at BHX.

I understand that I'll pass through US Immigration Pre-clearance at DUB before my flight to BOS.

When I arrive in DUB from BHX, will I have to collect and re-check my hold bag before my flight to BOS or will it be checked through from BHX to CLE? I have seen various references on the web to confirming that your checked bag belongs to you via video screen at DUB, but I can only see reference to this for passengers originating in DUB, not for passengers connecting in DUB.

I hope someone out there with more experience of this type of journey might be able to describe how the US-bound connections process at DUB works when you have checked baggage. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Your bag will appear in CLE

You will be shown the bag on a screen by the CBP agent and asked to confirm that it is yours, the baggage system in Dublin separates US bound luggage and photographs it when it arrives on a connecting flight
frank_poulankh and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Your bag will appear in CLE

You will be shown the bag on a screen by the CBP agent and asked to confirm that it is yours, the baggage system in Dublin separates US bound luggage and photographs it when it arrives on a connecting flight
Thanks, ROKNA. Much appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I have booked my first flight on EI from ORD to a UK regional airport with the TATL segment in business (P). The email confirmation is quite clear that the ORD-DUB checked baggage allowance applies throughout and also that the Stobart carry-on limit applies throughout. Presumably if one was allowed to take a second and/or larger carry-on on the ORD-DUB segment then it would have to be checked in DUB either at the counter or, possibly, at the gate. On the return any excess carry-on would presumably be checked through to ORD at the point of origin.

The web site was less clear about the change/cancellation fees but an agent assured me that the TATL rule applies. That is no fee for changes just any additional fare and a 15% fee for cancellation and refund. These are both more generous than I am used to on AA/BA!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:35 am

Business class checked luggage allowance applies.

The regional carry on limit applies only to Stobart so you can have two carry on bags on the TATL legs. Gate checking should be possible but suggest you avoid this if possible on the UK -> DUB as you don't want to have to exit to the baggage hall which will force you to go through security again

Cancel/change rule looks correct on business fares, only the difference applies

Last edited by ROKNA; Apr 18, 2019 at 12:42 am
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Business class checked luggage allowance applies.

The regional carry on limit applies only to Stobart so you can have two carry on bags on the TATL legs. Gate checking should be possible but suggest you avoid this if possible on the UK -> DUB as you don't want to have to exit to the baggage hall which will force you to go through security again

Cancel/change rule looks correct on business fares, only the difference applies
Thanks for the confirmations. Looking at the information again I realise that it says nothing about the personal item on the TATL only that the Stobart bag weight limit applies. I will probably try to avoid having a personal item but, if gate checking is possible for DUB-UK, then it would allow me to have more stuff available TATL and also ensure that the bag would make the connection. That bag could then be through checked on the return. I may end up having to buy yet another cabin bag to make the most of the allowance though
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I have an upcoming itinerary that has become a bit of a nightmare. When making the booking for my small group I incorrectly assumed that my Star Alliance status for checked luggage would carry across to other carriers. With six people any or additional baggage fee could be substantial. I am finding that I am quite ignorant of baggage policies when interlining. Also complicating the issue is that the booking was made with miles/points. The five country expedition (USA, Ireland, Italy, Germany, UK) is booked on 016 (united) stock in coach. The EI leg(s) are shown as T . What size / weight limitations can I expect?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I have an upcoming itinerary that has become a bit of a nightmare. When making the booking for my small group I incorrectly assumed that my Star Alliance status for checked luggage would carry across to other carriers. With six people any or additional baggage fee could be substantial. I am finding that I am quite ignorant of baggage policies when interlining. Also complicating the issue is that the booking was made with miles/points. The five country expedition (USA, Ireland, Italy, Germany, UK) is booked on 016 (united) stock in coach. The EI leg(s) are shown as T . What size / weight limitations can I expect?
Can't really tell baggage allowance from EI fare class (T is low but doesn't mean no baggage). Seems like a complicated itinerary if there is that many stops or are these separate bookings, I would have thought your issued ticket would give an indication of baggage allowance or UA could inform you.
The typical TATL for EI with a checked bag is 23kg plus 10kg carry on far as I recall, EU flights (assuming you are not connecting from TATL) could be anything but on avios reward tickets I know it is 20kg checked luggage included on BA 125 stock plus 10kg carry on, I've no idea if a similar standard baggage allowance would apply in your case for the EI legs.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
OON ALLOWED BAGGAE
Originally Posted by mccartje
Can't really tell baggage allowance from EI fare class (T is low but doesn't mean no baggage). Seems like a complicated itinerary if there is that many stops or are these separate bookings, I would have thought your issued ticket would give an indication of baggage allowance or UA could inform you.
The typical TATL for EI with a checked bag is 23kg plus 10kg carry on far as I recall, EU flights (assuming you are not connecting from TATL) could be anything but on avios reward tickets I know it is 20kg checked luggage included on BA 125 stock plus 10kg carry on, I've no idea if a similar standard baggage allowance would apply in your case for the EI legs.
Thanks for the quick reply. This is a single booking. Designed for maximum value for the points used. Two days in Dublin, two weeks in Italy, and two day in Frankfurt area. UA's displayed info always shows no status info and calling has produced different information about allowable baggage on each call.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Apr 24, 2019 at 3:32 pm Reason: UPDATE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.